Originally posted by pdizo916:
how about Culliver, Davis, and Iupati?
Exactly! Our offensive line is one of the best in the league. We need to extend Davis and Iupati early so we can get them on the cheap like we did with Staley.
Here is my list (in terms of priority):
1) Davis - I think he has proved his value as a starter. He is getting better every week. But he hasn't got all that much recognition.... yet. Now is the time to extend him with an affordable deal. Tackles in their prime that have made a pro-bowl or two are VERY expensive. So lets get this done early.
2) Crabtree - good chemistry with Kaepernick. Hasn't received national recognition yet, so is probably undervalued by other GMs. Just like Davis, now is the time to extend him.
3) Goldson - Alex Smith will leave and free up some money for Goldson. I would hope they shoot for a front loaded deal so that down the road when Kaep gets an extension.
4) Iupati - An outstanding player. As a OG he shouldn't command too much as long as he doesn't hit the open market and starting a bidding war with a needy team.
5) Culliver - Starter potential. Might be a good time to lock him up for good back-up money.
6) Aldon Smith - We can wait on him. He has already received national recognition as a premier pass rusher. Which means he will be expensive anyway you spin it. We need to wait until Justin Smith hangs it up before we fork over big money for Aldon.
7) Kaepernick - Similar deal as Aldon. Top tier QBs are the most expensive players to lock up. But he's only had half a season as a starter. I think we need to see consistency over an entire regular season before we even think about locking him up with a huge contract. Some of our high priced veterans (Justin Smith, J. Goodwin, C. Rodgers, Gore) will become expendable in a couple years. That is the time to extend Kaep.
[ Edited by blm7754 on Jan 17, 2013 at 8:20 AM ]