LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 276 users in the forums

Did Joe Montana and Steve young ever reconcile?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by Constantine:
Originally posted by 9moon:
They were never buddies, they were just co-workers..

There was never anything for the two to reconsile about..

Yes there was... im not blowing up past issues but those guys hated each other. Things calmed down but they still are not seen together in public... but in all.... the two greatest QB in SF history

I don't think either one of them hated the other. That's way too strong a word. I think Montana was annoyed by Young's presence on the team and Young was frustrated that Montana didn't support him. But there are lots of pictures of them working together as team mates. My favorite picture is the famous one of both of them reviewing photos of defensive formations together in the locker room.

What dont people understand about this situation? Its very simple. Joe had put in 10+ years with SF at the time, and was a legend. The 49ers were his team. Young was the hot young prospect that was breathing down his neck to steal his job as he got older and more injury riddled. It would be very easy to not care too much for the guy who is trying to steal your job, and is very capable of doing so.

I dont think it was personal at all, I just think Montana viewed him as a threat, and wasnt going to go out of his way to help Young along. Throw in the fact that they probably didnt have compatible personalities for being friends, and there just wasnt anything there. I dont think there has ever been any beef. Its just all 49ers fans being troubled by the fact that they dont vacation together in retirement.
[ Edited by Niners99 on May 22, 2015 at 3:27 AM ]
Originally posted by Niners99:
What dont people understand about this situation? Its very simple. Joe had put in 10+ years with SF at the time, and was a legend. The 49ers were his team. Young was the hot young prospect that was breathing down his neck to steal his job as he got older and more injury riddled. It would be very easy to not care too much for the guy who is trying to steal your job, and is very capable of doing so.

I dont think it was personal at all, I just think Montana viewed him as a threat, and wasnt going to go out of his way to help Young along. Throw in the fact that they probably didnt have compatible personalities for being friends, and there just wasnt anything there. I dont think there has ever been any beef. Its just all 49ers fans being troubled by the fact that they dont vacation together in retirement.

Wasn't Young really brought in because Montana was starting to get hurt and the 49ers felt that they needed a quality backup? Just happened that Young was young (no pun intended :P) and raw and he did perform well in 87 as Joe's backup with 10 TD's and no INT's in his first season with the 49ers. I don't think there was much of a QB controversy till the 87 playoffs in which Montana struggled and got replaced with Young who nearly brought the 49ers back vs the Vikings.
Originally posted by 49erFan816:
Originally posted by Niners99:

Wasn't Young really brought in because Montana was starting to get hurt and the 49ers felt that they needed a quality backup? Just happened that Young was young (no pun intended :P) and raw and he did perform well in 87 as Joe's backup with 10 TD's and no INT's in his first season with the 49ers. I don't think there was much of a QB controversy till the 87 playoffs in which Montana struggled and got replaced with Young who nearly brought the 49ers back vs the Vikings.

Yes. In later years, Young's agent said that Young didn't want to go to San Francisco because Montana was there, but Young's agent assured him that Walsh didn't think Montana was going to heal from his back injury. But, Montana did come back as everyone knows and it set up a very awkward situation for a few years.
Originally posted by crake49:
Yes. In later years, Young's agent said that Young didn't want to go to San Francisco because Montana was there, but Young's agent assured him that Walsh didn't think Montana was going to heal from his back injury. But, Montana did come back as everyone knows and it set up a very awkward situation for a few years.

Well in the end I think Young needed the WC offense as it turned him into a HOF QB. Steve DeBerg and Steve Bono also became better QB's after they played in it on the 49ers.
Share 49ersWebzone