LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Did Joe Montana and Steve young ever reconcile?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
From what I saw of the two in interviews, clips, accounts from other players, etc, Joe Montana comes across as more of the fun guy you'd want in your locker room. Steve Young pretty much showed up to work and did his job. He seemed much more serious/less loose as a player. It's not a good or a bad thing, just different.

I used to work down the street from their new facility early on. When they first built it, people would go sit on the bridge that I think was on Tasman street and watch practices. I would sometimes sit there with a sandwich and a pair of binoculars. When Montana wasn't actually throwing passes or scrimmaging, he was usually playing a game with team mates and/or team personnel. The game was usually throwing empty tape rolls up and trying to get them into the top of a goal post. He would also shoot hoops. BTW, I saw him dunk a basketball from a standing position under the hoop - the guy was a much better athlete than he usually gets credit for.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by crake49:
From what I saw of the two in interviews, clips, accounts from other players, etc, Joe Montana comes across as more of the fun guy you'd want in your locker room. Steve Young pretty much showed up to work and did his job. He seemed much more serious/less loose as a player. It's not a good or a bad thing, just different.

I used to work down the street from their new facility early on. When they first built it, people would go sit on the bridge that I think was on Tasman street and watch practices. I would sometimes sit there with a sandwich and a pair of binoculars. When Montana wasn't actually throwing passes or scrimmaging, he was usually playing a game with team mates and/or team personnel. The game was usually throwing empty tape rolls up and trying to get them into the top of a goal post. He would also shoot hoops. BTW, I saw him dunk a basketball from a standing position under the hoop - the guy was a much better athlete than he usually gets credit for.

lol stalk much
Originally posted by susweel:

lol stalk much

Where Niners practices were concerned, that's a big yes - me and usually about 30 other Silicon Valley workers crowded on to the sidewalk there. It didn't last long.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
They were never buddies, they were just co-workers..

There was never anything for the two to reconsile about..
Originally posted by 9moon:
They were never buddies, they were just co-workers..

There was never anything for the two to reconsile about..

Spot on. Montana wouldn't have been hanging with Young even if Young played a different position - just different kinds of guys. But, put Young in the difficult position of being a rival, and Montana was never going to warm up to him. Hyper-competitiveness was always going to trump friendship even if they were simpatico.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
I think there are a lot of fans around my age who have that stronger connection to Young, and maybe even prefer him a little bit just because of the impact he had on our childhoods.

Hit the nail on the head. Bingo.
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
I think there are a lot of fans around my age who have that stronger connection to Young, and maybe even prefer him a little bit just because of the impact he had on our childhoods.

Hit the nail on the head. Bingo.

I got to meet Steve Young one time when I was on a business trip in Utah. He was a great guy - really friendly and open.
Quick personal story on why i'm a Montana fan over Young. I'm 34 and when i was about 12 (1993) i found a book in the library on how to get autographs from your favorite sports stars. It had the teams mailing addresses for fan mail and you would address the letter to your favorite player. I sent a letter with my best football card that i had for each player. Rice (2nd year card), Montana (89' pro-set) and Young ( 86 rookie "bucs"). To make a long story short... Joe signed the card and sent it back in less than a month. Jerry sent a signed letter saying he didn't have time to sign my card along with a autographed picture (he also returned my card). Steve Young on the other hand straight burned my 12 year old ass for my rookie card... no letter... no nothing... WTF Steve! ... lol... maybe it got lost in the mail but that's my story! So in the end Cool Joe took the time to personally sign my card and have it sent back to me.
Young was needed from 87-90 as Montana why he was playing the best football of his career just wasn't a healthy player. Young wasn't just a backup but a key player and star in the 49ers success in that span. Won a lot of big games for them and had some good games as well.

I think Walsh believed that Young with his abilities could take the WC offense to the next level and turn it into a very explosive offense which he did as I believe the 94 and 98 squads are the highest scoring squads of the Bill Walsh's WC offense era from 79-98.
  • Arson
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFan816:
Young was needed from 87-90 as Montana why he was playing the best football of his career just wasn't a healthy player. Young wasn't just a backup but a key player and star in the 49ers success in that span. Won a lot of big games for them and had some good games as well.

I think Walsh believed that Young with his abilities could take the WC offense to the next level and turn it into a very explosive offense which he did as I believe the 94 and 98 squads are the highest scoring squads of the Bill Walsh's WC offense era from 79-98.

92-94 49ers offense is the best in franchise history and its not even close, tbh maybe the 99-2001 rams are only more dominant 3 years of offense ive seen, but the 49ers where way way more efficient and turned the ball over way less.

Originally posted by Arson:
92-94 49ers offense is the best in franchise history and its not even close, tbh maybe the 99-2001 rams are only more dominant 3 years of offense ive seen, but the 49ers where way way more efficient and turned the ball over way less.

Actually, it's closer than you think. The '87 and '89 teams were also #1 in NFL offense. I think the '89 team actually ran up more yardage than the 94 team and although the 94 team had more regular season points, I think that the 89 team scored more points when you add the ridiculous post season run that team had. That team still holds the record for point differential in the playoffs - 126 to 26 (WTF?).
Actually, it's closer than you think. The '87 and '89 teams were also #1 in NFL offense. I think the '89 team actually ran up more yardage than the 94 team and although the 94 team had more regular season points, I think that the 89 team scored more points when you add the ridiculous post season run that team had. That team still holds the record for point differential in the playoffs - 126 to 26 (WTF?).

The offense when Montana ran was considered a finesse one. You never heard people say that when Young ran it. Imagine when Young, Rathman, and Craig were in there in the backfield together from 87-90. Might have been the toughest backfield in NFL history.
Damn @ the 89 squad though with Montana throwing for 3500 yards starting and Young over 1000 as a backup. Montana completing 70.2% of his passes while Young 69.6. Montana has 112.4 passer rating. Young 120.8 and Rice and Taylor both having 1000+ receiving yards and 10+ TD's each. I wonder if that is the first time 2 receivers on the same team did that in NFL history.
[ Edited by 49erFan816 on May 19, 2015 at 11:24 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erFan816:
Damn @ the 89 squad though with Montana throwing for 3500 yards starting and Young over 1000 as a backup. Montana completing 70.2% of his passes while Young 69.6. Montana has 112.4 passer rating. Young 120.8 and Rice and Taylor both having 1000+ receiving yards and 10+ TD's each. I wonder if that is the first time 2 receivers on the same team did that in NFL history.

No question that the 94 team was great, but my favorite seasons are still '84 and '89 - '84 because the sports media was still treating the Niners as some kind of anomaly and was sure Marino would carve them up, and 89 because it was just so dominant in the playoffs. 89 cemented their standing as the "Team of the Decade."
No question that the 94 team was great, but my favorite seasons are still '84 and '89 - '84 because the sports media was still treating the Niners as some kind of anomaly and was sure Marino would carve them up, and 89 because it was just so dominant in the playoffs. 89 cemented their standing as the "Team of the Decade."
The 84 and 89 team's played great off motivation. 84 squad off the motivation of how they lost the NFC title game the year before and the 89 squad of the motivation that they could do it without Bill Walsh. The 84 squad outside of Montana and Craig didn't really have a lot of big names on offense but they did get Rice in the draft after the season ended.
Share 49ersWebzone