LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Did Joe Montana and Steve young ever reconcile?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
They are both dreamy
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Look at the sense of entitlement and all-around "d-baggedness" of Montana's kids (sons). That didn't just happen in a vacuum, call it learned behavior. Hell, Montana has even taken time out of his day to rip "Rudy" (Daniel Ruettiger)...Joe, you were 2x MVP, in a ton of Pro Bowls, won 4 SB rings, in the HOF, you're Joe F-ing Cool...let Rudy do his motivational speaking and you just tend to your grapes and keep pulling strings for your kids.

A lot of former ND players have ripped "Rudy" and by most accounts the movie is basically all BS. Great movie though.
So both Young and Montana each made 7 pro bowls, 3 all pro first teams and won 2 regular season mvps with the 49ers.
[ Edited by 49erFan816 on May 17, 2015 at 8:33 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erFan816:
So both Young and Montana each made 7 pro bowls, 3 all pro first teams and won 2 regular season mvps with the 49ers.

Young actually never missed a Pro Bowl in his 7 full years as the 49ers starting QB.
^^^^ I'm 35, meaning I caught the back end of Joe's career with the 9ers, but really grew up watching Young.

I think there are a lot of fans around my age who have that stronger connection to Young, and maybe even prefer him a little bit just because of the impact he had on our childhoods.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by KEGster:
lol "Joe fanboys". Pretty much every 49er fan alive is a Joe Montana fan boy, and for good reason. He was the greatest QB of all time.

I do find it interesting though, that on the play before Montana hit John Taylor for the SB winning score against Cincy, he threw an interception right to Bengals CB Lewis Billups in the endzone, who flat out dropped it. Had he made that catch, Montana's legacy would have been forever changed. Arguably the most famous drive in SB history wouldve ended with a terrible throw right to a defender. Niners wouldve lost the SB, Joe wouldve lost the perfect SB record, as well as his interception-less SB streak.

"Billups was never the same after this..his career slipped, he left Ciny a few years later, and then was killed when his car crashed into a tree, and he was ejected from the vehicle, his body making contact with another tree nearby."

That sucks. What I dont get is, when he dropped that pick, he kind of jogged it off like "ah, darn. shoulda had that." He shouldve been laying face down in the endzone holding his head. He dropped their Lombardi Trophy.

And didn't Eric Davis save a playoff game by tackling a cowboy from behind preventing a sure TD to save the game?

IMO - Steve Young was better. Steve did not have the O-Line protection Joe had, or a knucklehead RB that let's a defender come in clean to end his career.
I used to say that Montana was the classiest great QB of all time when you compare him to Brady, Rodgers, even Peyton Manning. That Randy Cross quote from the '81 America's Game where Montana would always take the blame for bad snaps, fumbles, interceptions, etc. resonated. In seeing him in interviews in general, you see a nice guy, very humble attitude. Players from other teams always said he never rubbed it in when he won (which is why Jim Burt visited him in the hospital after KO'ing him in the '86 playoffs at Giants Stadium).

But it is very valid that he's never really respected Young on a public level whereas Young has been very complimentary about Montana. That post game of the 49er/Chiefs game that Montana won, Young said something like "That's why he's the master" or something like that.

As far as having the most talented team in the playoffs, I'd say that Montana did benefit overall more than Young. Young had to face dynasty teams that were arguably better (even the '94 Cowboys were damn good), and those Packers teams. Montana did however face nastier defenses in those '80s Giants teams, and the '85 and '86 Giants were better than the 49ers talent wise (or at least talent PLUS hunger). The '83 Redskins were considered better than the 49ers too.

Could the 49ers have beaten the Bears in '85 had they moved past the Giants (whom they lost 17-3)? Doubtful.

Fun debate.

I would summarize it as Joe was better all around (more playoff clutch while Steve was more regular season dominant), but Young is the better person. Although in fairness to Joe, who was the one sent packing in '93?
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on May 18, 2015 at 8:18 AM ]
The older people get the more stuck they become in thier ways... if joe or steve havent gotten over anything... I dont see a change unless ether of them go threw a crises
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
^^^^ I'm 35, meaning I caught the back end of Joe's career with the 9ers, but really grew up watching Young.

I think there are a lot of fans around my age who have that stronger connection to Young, and maybe even prefer him a little bit just because of the impact he had on our childhoods.

Like me. Young is by far my favorite 49er.
I don't get caught up in it.

It's sad that Joe still feels that way.

But I've got more important things to worry about than 2 VERY rich guys having issues.

I think the entire Joe-Steve thing was overblown. They were never friends off the field, but that's completely understandable. Young was and is a pretty strict Mormon and Joe was a party guy. The reason Joe said "I'm an AFC guy" had more to do with the Niners giving up on him IMO, and wasn't really meant as a dig at Young.

It's just not accurate to say Montana won't show up to events if Young is there. They've been to lots of the same functions.
Originally posted by crake49:
I think the entire Joe-Steve thing was overblown. They were never friends off the field, but that's completely understandable. Young was and is a pretty strict Mormon and Joe was a party guy. The reason Joe said "I'm an AFC guy" had more to do with the Niners giving up on him IMO, and wasn't really meant as a dig at Young.

It's just not accurate to say Montana won't show up to events if Young is there. They've been to lots of the same functions.

Ive never once heard that Joe Montana was a "party guy". Doesn't seem like his personality at all..
Ive never once heard that Joe Montana was a "party guy". Doesn't seem like his personality at all..

From about '83 to '89, there were constant rumors of Montana and Clark partying and snorting coke around the Bay Area. Both Montana and Clark famously partied with Huey Lewis and the News. There was even a rumor about an illegitimate child Montana had in the South Bay who he was supporting. And, Montana was a notorious pranker on the team whereas Steve was pretty much 'all business.'
I heard Steve Young wasn't a big fan of cocaine...
Originally posted by crake49:

From what I saw of the two in interviews, clips, accounts from other players, etc, Joe Montana comes across as more of the fun guy you'd want in your locker room. Steve Young pretty much showed up to work and did his job. He seemed much more serious/less loose as a player. It's not a good or a bad thing, just different.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on May 18, 2015 at 12:14 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone