There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Smith, Tolzien thread. Yet again

Originally posted by cciowa:
of course this is the truth. i hope alex gets his ring and he is probably the best of the free agent bunch out there and is alot better than some of the college quarterbacks. he will go someone place like arizona or kansas city and have a nice career. its better for him and the niners will not have the distraction anymore. that of course will create another issue like who will back up ck because if alex were not here and ck were to get hurt, i have no confidence in the kid coming in.. but that is a topic for the off season i guess

Did you forget who our head coach is? If Kaep gets hurt, Tolzien will step up and play well.
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Originally posted by cciowa:
of course this is the truth. i hope alex gets his ring and he is probably the best of the free agent bunch out there and is alot better than some of the college quarterbacks. he will go someone place like arizona or kansas city and have a nice career. its better for him and the niners will not have the distraction anymore. that of course will create another issue like who will back up ck because if alex were not here and ck were to get hurt, i have no confidence in the kid coming in.. but that is a topic for the off season i guess

Did you forget who our head coach is? If Kaep gets hurt, Tolzien will step up and play well.

IMO the Harbaugh QB guru angle has been over-exaggerated......
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 22,987
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Originally posted by cciowa:
of course this is the truth. i hope alex gets his ring and he is probably the best of the free agent bunch out there and is alot better than some of the college quarterbacks. he will go someone place like arizona or kansas city and have a nice career. its better for him and the niners will not have the distraction anymore. that of course will create another issue like who will back up ck because if alex were not here and ck were to get hurt, i have no confidence in the kid coming in.. but that is a topic for the off season i guess

Did you forget who our head coach is? If Kaep gets hurt, Tolzien will step up and play well.
haha. ok i give up i still think we get a vet. two kids behind ck still makes me nervous,, besides we already have to spend or waste a pick on a kicker so i am not sure we can afford to spend a pick on a quarterback
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Nobody brings teams from down big consistently. So you will find that those numbers are bad in general. Alex was a part of some awful teams before last season. In his first season with a good team he had one of those comebacks. Hooray for the Niners! Colin had one last night... Hooray for the Niners!

He was part of awful teams but he was awful as well. He contributed to that. As far as comebacks we are 1-27 since 2001 when trailing by 17+ in the first half. What Kaep did after a missed field goal, a fumble at the goal line...with Max Hall and Ted Ginn is truly amazing. He was able to overcome all of these things. Not taking anything away from Smith but he couldn't overcome the lack of receiver talent and the muffed punts.


not to diminsh kapernick's accomplishment, you do realize that the teams from 2001 to 2010 werent nearly as good as the 2011-2012 teams--from personnel to coaching---
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Originally posted by cciowa:
of course this is the truth. i hope alex gets his ring and he is probably the best of the free agent bunch out there and is alot better than some of the college quarterbacks. he will go someone place like arizona or kansas city and have a nice career. its better for him and the niners will not have the distraction anymore. that of course will create another issue like who will back up ck because if alex were not here and ck were to get hurt, i have no confidence in the kid coming in.. but that is a topic for the off season i guess

Did you forget who our head coach is? If Kaep gets hurt, Tolzien will step up and play well.

IMO the Harbaugh QB guru angle has been over-exaggerated......

Yeah he's just the luckiest guy in the world when it comes to QBs. Josh Johnson just happened to become an All-American while he was coached, then Andrew Luck just happened to become the best QB prospect in over a decade under him, then Alex Smith went from chump to playoff-winning QB under him, then a no-name QB from a 2nd -tier school just happened to become a Super Bowl-caliber QB when he made a ballsy switch. Somebody find this guy's rabbit foot, it is off the chain. Why is he not using to cure cancer or something.
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
He was part of awful teams but he was awful as well. He contributed to that. As far as comebacks we are 1-27 since 2001 when trailing by 17 in the first half. What Kaep did after a missed field goal, a fumble at the goal line...with Max Hall and Ted Ginn is truly amazing. He was able to overcome all of these things. Not taking anything away from Smith but he couldn't overcome the lack of receiver talent and the muffed punts.

He was awful at the beginning. The last few years of Singletary he was a scapegoat who was actually starting to play pretty well. It was always the coaching. Once the coaching was there this team took off. That is how it is with any team. Lol Kaep didn't throw to Ginn or "Max" Hall and they were bit players in that game. Look Kaep played really really well last game and helped bring the team back. No disputing that. I'm just never going to use that to limit what Alex could or couldn't have done. When I watched him play he played at a high level. There is no reason he couldn't have led offensive drives like those in the game. Maybe he doesn't go 3 and out on his first drive so we aren't down by 17 anyway... It is pointless to debate hypotheticals. If the Other thread should be kept as a strictly CK thread then let's keep this one strictly to Smith/His Most High Holiness ST

Wherever Alex gets traded next season I can go to that teams message board as my secondary team, and argue with their fans. There is no reason to argue here
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Yeah he's just the luckiest guy in the world when it comes to QBs. Josh Johnson just happened to become an All-American while he was coached, then Andrew Luck just happened to become the best QB prospect in over a decade under him, then Alex Smith went from chump to playoff-winning QB under him, then a no-name QB from a 2nd -tier school just happened to become a Super Bowl-caliber QB when he made a ballsy switch. Somebody find this guy's rabbit foot, it is off the chain. Why is he not using to cure cancer or something.

HahaHarbaugh obviously puts his QB's into positions to win...or he knows how to evaluate them and has good ones on his roster. Either way if ST sticks around it is probably because they have confidence in him.
Originally posted by hofer36:
not to diminsh kapernick's accomplishment, you do realize that the teams from 2001 to 2010 werent nearly as good as the 2011-2012 teams--from personnel to coaching---

What Kaep did has never been done before in an NFCCG.

Originally posted by dtcomposer:
He was awful at the beginning. The last few years of Singletary he was a scapegoat who was actually starting to play pretty well. It was always the coaching. Once the coaching was there this team took off. That is how it is with any team. Lol Kaep didn't throw to Ginn or "Max" Hall and they were bit players in that game. Look Kaep played really really well last game and helped bring the team back. No disputing that. I'm just never going to use that to limit what Alex could or couldn't have done. When I watched him play he played at a high level. There is no reason he couldn't have led offensive drives like those in the game. Maybe he doesn't go 3 and out on his first drive so we aren't down by 17 anyway... It is pointless to debate hypotheticals. If the Other thread should be kept as a strictly CK thread then let's keep this one strictly to Smith/His Most High Holiness ST

Wherever Alex gets traded next season I can go to that teams message board as my secondary team, and argue with their fans. There is no reason to argue here

Sorry. You can't blame Alex's failures on coaching. Part of it, perhaps, but not all. We will never know what Alex could have done. Just saying, the narrative last year was we had no receivers and the fumbles were to blame for our Giants loss. However, Kaep had basically the same thing and on the road and he pulled out the W. Alex is a solid QB. I just think he gets romanticized on here and to act like coaching is to blame for his previous 6 years of poor play before Harbaugh is ridiculous.

Alright. I'm done talking about Kaep in this thread.
[ Edited by InHarbsWeTrust on Jan 22, 2013 at 4:23 AM ]
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
He was part of awful teams but he was awful as well. He contributed to that. As far as comebacks we are 1-27 since 2001 when trailing by 17 in the first half. What Kaep did after a missed field goal, a fumble at the goal line...with Max Hall and Ted Ginn is truly amazing. He was able to overcome all of these things. Not taking anything away from Smith but he couldn't overcome the lack of receiver talent and the muffed punts.

He was awful at the beginning. The last few years of Singletary he was a scapegoat who was actually starting to play pretty well. It was always the coaching. Once the coaching was there this team took off. That is how it is with any team. Lol Kaep didn't throw to Ginn or "Max" Hall and they were bit players in that game. Look Kaep played really really well last game and helped bring the team back. No disputing that. I'm just never going to use that to limit what Alex could or couldn't have done. When I watched him play he played at a high level. There is no reason he couldn't have led offensive drives like those in the game. Maybe he doesn't go 3 and out on his first drive so we aren't down by 17 anyway... It is pointless to debate hypotheticals. If the Other thread should be kept as a strictly CK thread then let's keep this one strictly to Smith/His Most High Holiness ST

Wherever Alex gets traded next season I can go to that teams message board as my secondary team, and argue with their fans. There is no reason to argue here

Gross.
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
Gross.

I think a lot of fans will have secondary teams. Kinda makes me a little sick but whatever. If you're off my team, you're the enemy.
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
He was part of awful teams but he was awful as well. He contributed to that. As far as comebacks we are 1-27 since 2001 when trailing by 17+ in the first half. What Kaep did after a missed field goal, a fumble at the goal line...with Max Hall and Ted Ginn is truly amazing. He was able to overcome all of these things. Not taking anything away from Smith but he couldn't overcome the lack of receiver talent and the muffed punts.

that is a rare thing

they spotted the other team 17 points AND left 10 points on the field due to mistakes.

that is a far harder thing to overcome then two muffed punts.

I think last years team was the better team...it definitely had a better defense and was healthier.
Originally posted by dtcomposer:

Wherever Alex gets traded next season I can go to that teams message board as my secondary team, and argue with their fans. There is no reason to argue here

LOL !!! Dude, that's awesome! Take me with you!
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Wherever Alex gets traded next season I can go to that teams message board as my secondary team, and argue with their fans. There is no reason to argue here

LOL !!! Dude, that's awesome! Take me with you!

Who's holding you back
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Wherever Alex gets traded next season I can go to that teams message board as my secondary team, and argue with their fans. There is no reason to argue here

LOL !!! Dude, that's awesome! Take me with you!

Who's holding you back

Come on dudes. feel the love...? Super Bowl...?
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Come on dudes. feel the love...? Super Bowl...?

All good. 49ers fan for life! Nothing wrong with pulling for other teams too.. so long as they are not threatening the Niners.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home