LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Smith, Tolzien thread. Yet again

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by wwrivers:
I have lost a lot of love for the 49ers this year. For me, it isn't just about winning. It is about winning the right way, treating players right, etc. I still want the 49ers to win the Super Bowl this year, but I find I have other things to do at game time now (before the playoffs) instead of watching the games, as I'm disappointed in Harbaugh. I used to read every word written about the Niners, but after the QB change I don't follow them nearly as closely. I loved the fact that Harbaugh was a player's guy, and was loyal and honest with the team. Now I don't believe any of that. Plus, I love the storyline of Smith finally leading his team to a Super Bowl victory after all he has endured. That would have been a great story, and I think he could have done it. I get that Kaepernick is special, but it still doesn't sit well with me. Maybe its because I'm an old dude now, and I like to see people rewarded for having done the right thing for a long time, and I feel/hope that experience is worth something.

If I were player, I wouldn't trust Harbaugh much anymore.
I don't know what to say to this!
there is no way we can afford to keep Alex on the roster next season unless he takes a pay cut. We can get good value for him.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
there is no way we can afford to keep Alex on the roster next season unless he takes a pay cut. We can get good value for him.

Agreed. Should be an easy decision.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
I have lost a lot of love for the 49ers this year. For me, it isn't just about winning. It is about winning the right way, treating players right, etc. I still want the 49ers to win the Super Bowl this year, but I find I have other things to do at game time now (before the playoffs) instead of watching the games, as I'm disappointed in Harbaugh. I used to read every word written about the Niners, but after the QB change I don't follow them nearly as closely. I loved the fact that Harbaugh was a player's guy, and was loyal and honest with the team. Now I don't believe any of that. Plus, I love the storyline of Smith finally leading his team to a Super Bowl victory after all he has endured. That would have been a great story, and I think he could have done it. I get that Kaepernick is special, but it still doesn't sit well with me. Maybe its because I'm an old dude now, and I like to see people rewarded for having done the right thing for a long time, and I feel/hope that experience is worth something.

He was honest, with the OTHER 52 players that he told he would do anything to win the Super Bowl. If he thought the move gave them the best chance, had had to do it. It is bigger than one player...its about the whole team and the fans. He did the right thing.

Although I can empathize with the original poster, Alex Smith deserves a lot of praise for his resilience, I disagree with the notion that Harbaugh is not trustworthy.

No SINGLE player should take precedence over the team. In my opinion, Jim Harbaugh made a very objective decision that, whether we win a superbowl or not, was the correct decision for the sake of the TEAM, not just Alex; for that reason, I, for one, actually respect Harbaugh even more.

"If we're not getting better, we're getting worse" - JH
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

He was honest, with the OTHER 52 players that he told he would do anything to win the Super Bowl. If he thought the move gave them the best chance, had had to do it. It is bigger than one player...its about the whole team and the fans. He did the right thing.

Although I can empathize with the original poster, Alex Smith deserves a lot of praise for his resilience, I disagree with the notion that Harbaugh is not trustworthy.

No SINGLE player should take precedence over the team. In my opinion, Jim Harbaugh made a very objective decision that, whether we win a superbowl or not, was the correct decision for the sake of the TEAM, not just Alex; for that reason, I, for one, actually respect Harbaugh even more.

"If we're not getting better, we're getting worse" - JH

Same here. I absolutely love Alex Smith to death and feel so bad that he didn't get his chance this year to go and win the Super Bowl for this team, but at this point I have let go of my disappointment in Harbaugh's decision. Kaepernick was a prospect I followed big-time in college and he was my favorite player in the draft, but I still thought the decision was made too soon. Right now, my feelings can't change the situation, so even though I disagreed with it, I am rolling with CK all-in now because I want this Super Bowl. I can concede that most likely, if we make it to the Super Bowl, I will believe that Smith could and would have won it for us. No matter what happens, there will be no denying that he was a major contributor in at least helping this team get there. He should forever be respected for that. But again, it's CK time now, and I'm rolling with it because he should be here for a long time.

Bottom line in all this: I won't let my initial disappointment with the decision affect my love and desire for 49ers football. I am a fully invested fan for life.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 19, 2013 at 2:19 PM ]
Originally posted by Born49R:
I too am surprised and pleased with how Kaep has played and I don't really feel sorry for Smith, BUT the way it was handled by benching a concussed player was just wrong and sends the wrong message to the rest of the team. Harbaugh just plain screwed the pooch on this one. He could have started Smith in the Rams game and managed to replace him with Kaep at any time in the game and no harm done.
I have a harder time watching my loved 9ers now than I did when Nolan first started Smith when he wasn't ready. I understand about all of the arguments for winning now etc, but I have a real problem with the lack of ethics shown by Harbaugh. I know it's hard for some to believe but doing the right thing is more important than winning, even in the cutthroat business of the NFL.

It's a business and they know coming in that at anytime they can be replaced for someone younger and/or better. Saying that players don't trust Harbaugh because of it is going overboard. He did what he felt was best for the team and the team didn't complain once or have a performance decline as a result because they trust his decision and don't second guess it. Look how close we are to the Super Bowl and were still complaining about the switch to Kaepernick. Why not just move on from it it's done nothing we can do except support the team.
I really don't understand people being mad about Smith not getting his "storybook" ending. And I don't understand people being angry at Harbaugh for making the switch, when it is obvious Kaepernick is the better player. And all this talk about ethics is hilarious, this the NFL, players get replaced all the time.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
I really don't understand people being mad about Smith not getting his "storybook" ending. And I don't understand people being angry at Harbaugh for making the switch, when it is obvious Kaepernick is the better player. And all this talk about ethics is hilarious, this the NFL, players get replaced all the time.

Smith sucked and cant carry the team......next subject already, I feel that the same thing gets said over and over again cant wait to trade this guy already.....

Because it is easy to stay status quo.
Originally posted by 80849er4life:

Smith sucked and cant carry the team......next subject already, I feel that the same thing gets said over and over again cant wait to trade this guy already.....

So why even come to this thread?

A lot of people that are upset with the Alex Smith saga must not have been alive in the 80s/90s. The Niners burned the likes of Montana, Young, Rice, Lott, etc.
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:

So why even come to this thread?

Because the thread is about Smith and Tolzien
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
A lot of people that are upset with the Alex Smith saga must not have been alive in the 80s/90s. The Niners burned the likes of Montana, Young, Rice, Lott, etc.

This. Harbaugh gained more respect from me when he showed all players on the team that every position and competition is equal and that the sacred position of QB is no different. Now, no matter what position you play, you cannot be mad if Jim introduces competition or starts another player over you. True balance and honesty. Some players rarely do anything to lose their jobs but they lose it anyway and their replacement outshines them. Some coaches will do the wrong thing and bench the replacement. Jim will never do that to us fans or the team. We can be confident that he will always try to put the best 49ers team on that field.
As much as I have liked Alex over the years, I have been critical of how he has failed to protect his own professional interests. In a word, he has appeared to be naive and loyal in an old-fashioned sense. Most recently, he was played for a fool by his agent who also represented P. Manning. When the 49ers were courting Payton, there was no way that the agent could look after Payton's interest while doing the same for Alex. First, the agent should have removed himself from continuing to represent Alex, but he didn't - very unethical conflict of interest. That was when Alex should have fired him. But he didn't. And now Alex has signed a contract that gives the 49ers control over Alex's fate over the next two years, a contract that was poorly negotiated by Alex's agent.

It is time for Alex to man up, for once. He does have leverage: If the 49ers refuse to release or trade him, he can refuse to show up and sit out. They cannot make him show up and practice. They would be forced to find another backup and would be exposed to the risk of Kap's injury. Alex has grown up slowly. Maybe this time he will show that he will finally look after his own interests, over a team that obviously cares not a wit about his. Each man for himself.
Originally posted by excelsior:
As much as I have liked Alex over the years, I have been critical of how he has failed to protect his own professional interests. In a word, he has appeared to be naive and loyal in an old-fashioned sense. Most recently, he was played for a fool by his agent who also represented P. Manning. When the 49ers were courting Payton, there was no way that the agent could look after Payton's interest while doing the same for Alex. First, the agent should have removed himself from continuing to represent Alex, but he didn't - very unethical conflict of interest. That was when Alex should have fired him. But he didn't. And now Alex has signed a contract that gives the 49ers control over Alex's fate over the next two years, a contract that was poorly negotiated by Alex's agent.

It is time for Alex to man up, for once. He does have leverage: If the 49ers refuse to release or trade him, he can refuse to show up and sit out. They cannot make him show up and practice. They would be forced to find another backup and would be exposed to the risk of Kap's injury. Alex has grown up slowly. Maybe this time he will show that he will finally look after his own interests, over a team that obviously cares not a wit about his. Each man for himself.

Leverage?

AS doesn't show up he doesn't get paid
Share 49ersWebzone