There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Smith, Tolzien thread. Yet again

Alex should not be here next year and here's why. We need to free up salary to re-sign Hawk and shore up other positions. Also, Smith wants to start and he should start somewhere. Why would he want to be a backup in SF when he can start somewhere else. I wouldn't be surprised if he asked to be released or traded and I wouldn't blame him.
Originally posted by dj43:
Larry Krueger, one of the staff at KNBR in San Francisco, had some interesting comments yesterday on Alex Smith's situation with the 49ers. He noted all the back and forth, particularly in the area that "the 49ers should do the right thing by Alex and reward him with a free release so he could find the best possible situation for him." So he decided to "use my sources with the 49ers" to see what their position might be.

What he learned was that Harbaalke is likely to play hardball with Smith in the offseason. They believe he is worth a 1st or at least a 2nd round draft choice and will try to trade him for such. However, they will not trade him to Arizona and would prefer to trade him to an AFC team if possible. If they cannot find a suitable trading partner, they will keep him as backup next season (the last of his current 3 year contract). They believe they can win a Super Bowl with this current roster and Smith as QB though they obviously prefer Kaepernick. They know that most of their key players are at the peak of their careers and the time to win it all is now. Therefore they are not willing to take a chance on Tolzien or some other rookie or FA. Smith's $8MILLION salary is less than over half the starting QBs in the league and roughly $2MILLION more than the backup average. Considering the quality of Alex' potential play in relief of an injured Kaepernick, they believe that keeping him on the roster would be worthwhile investment to assure that they can put a SB ring on the hands of players now on the roster. IOW, they are willing to go all in to win this season and next while Willis, Bowman, Crabtree and friends are healthy and at their prime.

I'm a bit skeptical of this, simply because some of the most basic details are incorrect. Next season is not the last year of his three year contract, this was the first year of the new contract (remember he was a FA in the offseason, went to Miami etc), so next year is the second year of three.
Hey, for us, it would be good to keep Alex around as QB insurance. Let's face it... Colin is gonna be running around and taking hits frequently. So for this kind of QB... and for this kind of SB contending team.. it would be wise to make sure a QB injury doesn't leave your season in ruins. That alone would be worth the money to keep him around. Now, is Alex okay with being a backup while making damn good money? That, I really can't say. I doubt his hunger to start has diminished... and I really doubt he wants to be around Harbaugh at this point.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Did you read the part about the analysis of his contract? Krueger claims the 49er position is that since the AVERAGE backup makes only $2MILLION LESS than Smith would next year, and not be nearly as good, they will not part with him over $2,000,000 and have to go find someone else that could win if Kaepernick goes down. With the current roster and their ages, they are not willing to take that chance.

They have a backup for next year that will make a half million dollars next year and they will not sign a backup for $6 million either IMO. I'd like to see him get a chance elsewhere.
I too would like to see Smith get a chance to start someplace next season. (KC with Andy Reid's WCO and Duane Bowe could be good.) However, according to Krueger's sources, the 49ers do not feel there is any FA out there that they could sign that could do the same thing as Alex Smith for the same general area of money. Consequently, unless someone drops a 1st or 2nd on them, they are going to make Alex fulfill his contract. On his history, it would seem reasonable that Smith would do that without grumbling or causing a locker room distraction.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Hey, for us, it would be good to keep Alex around as QB insurance. Let's face it... Colin is gonna be running around and taking hits frequently. So for this kind of QB... and for this kind of SB contending team.. it would be wise to make sure a QB injury doesn't leave your season in ruins. That alone would be worth the money to keep him around. Now, is Alex okay with being a backup while making damn good money? That, I really can't say. I doubt his hunger to start has diminished... and I really doubt he wants to be around Harbaugh at this point.

I agree with you on all counts. As to your last point, I would bet that Harbaalke may have some feelings along the same line, but the idea is to win a Super Bowl and sometimes feelings have to be set aside in order to achieve that goal.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by cciowa:
i do not think he is our back up for next year. i think you bring in a vet. if alex was not here and ck got hurt, i would not feel good

Tolzien can handle it. Have you watched him play? There is a reason they call him "baby Drew Brees."
The clue to the 49ers true feelings about Tolzien will be how the Alex Smith saga plays out. If Krueger's analysis about playing hardball with Smith and keeping him here if they can't get a high draft choice for him turns out to be the case, then it is clear that Harbaugh does not see Tolzien as being capable of doing the job.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Did you read the part about the analysis of his contract? Krueger claims the 49er position is that since the AVERAGE backup makes only $2MILLION LESS than Smith would next year, and not be nearly as good, they will not part with him over $2,000,000 and have to go find someone else that could win if Kaepernick goes down. With the current roster and their ages, they are not willing to take that chance.

They have a backup for next year that will make a half million dollars next year and they will not sign a backup for $6 million either IMO. I'd like to see him get a chance elsewhere.
I too would like to see Smith get a chance to start someplace next season. (KC with Andy Reid's WCO and Duane Bowe could be good.) However, according to Krueger's sources, the 49ers do not feel there is any FA out there that they could sign that could do the same thing as Alex Smith for the same general area of money. Consequently, unless someone drops a 1st or 2nd on them, they are going to make Alex fulfill his contract. On his history, it would seem reasonable that Smith would do that without grumbling or causing a locker room distraction.

Interesting development but I still don't believe the 49ers will keep Smith at his current rate and no team will give up a 1st or 2nd for him. Basically, they might screw Smith again by keeping him under contract until right before his salary becomes guaranteed in April. Free agency begins March 12 so if they don't release Smith until April then his opportunities will be limited.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
alex will not and should not stay. first off he should go off and start somewhere, get a fresh start and prove that he is a good quarterback on his own without the crutch of JH so many people connect him with.. the biggest thing is though we do not need that distraction here next year in regards to our back up qb and i would lose all respect for alex if he is willing to tuck his tail and crawl to us accepting a lowly back up spot.
Originally posted by cciowa:
alex will not and should not stay. first off he should go off and start somewhere, get a fresh start and prove that he is a good quarterback on his own without the crutch of JH so many people connect him with.. the biggest thing is though we do not need that distraction here next year in regards to our back up qb and i would lose all respect for alex if he is willing to tuck his tail and crawl to us accepting a lowly back up spot.
Smith may not have a voice in the matter if the 49ers can't get the deal they want.

I will be very disappointed if the 49ers are not able to make a trade for him and wind up having to release him to avoid any potential problems with him sulking around being unused.

First of all, he is a starting talent that should be worth AT LEAST a 2nd if not a 1st. Considering the 49ers invested the #1 in him in the first place, it is incumbent on Baalke to get a decent return on that investment. To just release him would be a huge waste of what should have been a franchise pick.

Second, it would cause all kinds of negative publicity for management if they were to force Smith to stay against his will, even though it might give Smith a chance to once again start for a playoff team should Kaepernick go down.
Cleveland with Turner... KC with Reid? I think those are the two best possibilities. If it were my call, I wouldn't release him, I would be on the phone with Cleveland and KC letting them know that we have three options. Trade him to KC, trade him to Cleveland or keep him on our roster. One of those three things are going to happen. I would negotiate with both (if possible) up to the draft and take the best offer at that point - or keep him on the roster. I think I'd accept a 3rd or higher... his value is probably higher than that but if I could move him to the AFC and get a 1,2 or 3 in return I'd do it. If I can't get a 3rd or higher from one of those two teams than he will be an outstanding back up.

An outright release doesn't make sense for the team... nothing in return and the potential to go to the Cards, As a whole we are below the average salary for the QB position. It would be nice for Smith... but not in the best interest of the team - IMHO.
  • nooj
  • Veteran
A first round pick for Smith? That is just crazy. I guess anything is possible, but I really can't see a team giving up a first for him.
Originally posted by nooj:
A first round pick for Smith? That is just crazy. I guess anything is possible, but I really can't see a team giving up a first for him.

if it was ever going to happen, it would be now. He showed progress this season. Couple that with a really weak QB draft class, and it could happen.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

if it was ever going to happen, it would be now. He showed progress this season. Couple that with a really weak QB draft class, and it could happen.

I read several draft "experts" that Geno Smith, the consensus best QB coming out this year, would be a 2nd round pick in an average year for QBs. So while I don't see KC giving up their #1, I could see them giving us their #2 which is almost the same as the 49ers having two #1 picks this spring. That would be a good deal for all parties, IMO.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Hey oldman what do you think about our coach now ?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

I read several draft "experts" that Geno Smith, the consensus best QB coming out this year, would be a 2nd round pick in an average year for QBs. So while I don't see KC giving up their #1, I could see them giving us their #2 which is almost the same as the 49ers having two #1 picks this spring. That would be a good deal for all parties, IMO.

Curious?? But whats an average year for QB's in a draft??