LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

David Akers keeps job

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Akers sucks. Cundiff sucks. Doesn't matter who won this competition. Our kicking situation is in dire straits.

Only attempt FG's less than 40 yards. If it's 40-49 yards, go for it on 4th down. If it's 50+, punt the ball.
When Akers lines up to kick a fg oh boy the pressure will be brewing in his noggin! He has no choice but to nail his first non-chipshot attempt!
All I'm gonna say is that I trust Harbaugh. If he feels Akers is healthy enough to kick and can be relied on to make FG's (regardless how short or long they may be) then I'm all for it. Thought it would be better to start Cundiff, but I'm not there in practice everyday to see the 2 guys kick. In Harbaugh I trust.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Akers sucks. Cundiff sucks. Doesn't matter who won this competition. Our kicking situation is in dire straits.

Only attempt FG's less than 40 yards. If it's 40-49 yards, go for it on 4th down. If it's 50+, punt the ball.

Yep. Although I wouldn't say Akers sucks, he was money all last season. Get a couple hemorrhoids and try to kick 50 yard field goals - probably not that simple.

However, the coaching staff needs to be smart about attempting anything over 40 yds. I agree we should only kick in <40 yd scenarios. GO NINERS!!
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by 49erfaithful49:
I wonder if this will be a confidence boost for Akers, knowing he beat out Cundiff.

Also, as I said earlier, gb has a worse kicking situation than us! http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/kicking/sort/fieldGoalPct/seasontype/2

That might have been the goal

Kinda thought it was going this way when they picked Cundiff, out of the available guys. I think they wanted a straw man for Akers to beat up, but legit enough to put some pressure on. Maybe they think that applying pressure during the week will make the games easier.
This is a bad choice IMO. I think we should keep both Ks active and if Akers misses, Cundiff takes the next one.
I don't trust our kicking game at all with both. Unfortunately we may need them with the Packers as I think we could have a close game.
Its a confidence booster for Akers, bring in Cundiff kick him around a bit, realise you dont suck as much as this guy and get back to kicking them from 50+. Hey the Ravens will be up in arms when Cundiff wins a SB with us in the next 3 games.
Akers misses, that's okay every kicker misses at some point in their careers. What has bothered me is that there is no power to his kicks, they look like lazy fly balls.
Akers better have figured this s**t out. I heard Nedney saying it was a confidence issue based on how he had been missing left as a left footed kicker...He better get his s**t together in 2 days...

Our final winning score will be divisible by seven.
I know this is a reach, but could be Harbaugh brought Cundiff in knowing that it would light a fire under Akers and build his confidence by beating out the competition. He is probably more focused this week than he has been since he got into the league.

Worst case scenario, if Akers had flopped then Harbaugh could just go with the other guy.

Now we just need to cross our fingers and hope it worked, or we don't even need him other than to kick about 7 kickoffs!!!!!
All that i know is we better be better in the RZ, and not leave it up to the kicker. Also play calling better be better in situations where we know we will be going for it on fourth down. 4 down situation playcalling this year has left alot to be desired.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:

agree. hope we can get through this and then get a nice rookie and tell akers to f**k off. if he costs us saturday i will not be mad at akers because this is what i expect out of him,,,,, i put the blame on jh the god. he bungled this thing from day one, should have signed kaeding after the first rams loss. but no, lets work through something, wins be damned
I'm hoping this was a confidence builder for Akers.

I'm not making excuses for the guy but he doesn't seem himself since the Rams overtime tie. His kicks don't have the same type of distance as most of his kicks last year went deep into the end zone, if not out of it. This year a lot of his kicks are just passed the goal line if not short of it.

I remember when he missed some kicks last year, but he really stepped up to nail the BIG moment kicks, unlike this year. It hurts...... I just don't feel as confident as I did last year when we played the Saints. When Akers came onto the field for a kick.... It was just about automatic. I was happy when big moments were in his hands last year...... this year I may be hoping we go for it on 4th down if it's beyond 45.

Nevertheless I'm going to drink lots of beer and hopefully he won't have worry about the game coming down to a special teams play... My heart won't be able to handle it!!
Share 49ersWebzone