LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 313 users in the forums

Who Needs to Win More on Saturday? Ques from NFL AM

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who Needs to Win More on Saturday? Ques from NFL AM

Originally posted by lamontb:
c/s. Nationally folks didn't stop s**tting on Smith til he was benched. Before that he was just meh. Now magically his play would guarantee a SB victory.

Was Smith's play just meh here in 2012 before he got injured? Really?
The problem I have is that they put so much emphasis on the potential fan/media reaction if the 49ers lose. That is their #1 reason for believing the QB change was the wrong decision. You don't bench a QB with those stats because people will question you if you lose. That's a bunch of crap. You do whatever it takes to give yourself the best chance of winning. It's not about whether we win the SB or not, it's about giving ourselves the best chance at winning it. Nothing is guaranteed.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jan 10, 2013 at 2:04 PM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
c/s. Nationally folks didn't stop s**tting on Smith til he was benched. Before that he was just meh. Now magically his play would guarantee a SB victory.

Exactly what I was thinking. Smith was wholly ridiculed by the media and fans alike last year. I distinctly remember the logic being that the 49ers were winning despite him and not because of him. Need proof? Go back and read the articles following the NFC Championship Game last year. That was the "proof" last year that we needed to upgrade at Quarterback. Now that he's no longer starting, everyone is talking like we just benched Steve Young in his prime. It's ridiculous.

And for the record, I was one of those that firmly believed that benching Smith was the wrong decision. I admit that since my opinion of Kap has changed. Watching him play I see that for his relative inexperience, he is at least as good as Alex was prior to his concussion. And the scary part is we haven't event tapped his full potential. Winning or losing in the playoffs isn't going to prove anything one way or another. I thought it was obvious that ALL of the NFC teams left in the playoffs are fully capable of beating us regardless of who's behind center.

Not that further indulging in this ridiculous conversation is going to change anything, anyway.
Originally posted by baltien:
Exactly what I was thinking. Smith was wholly ridiculed by the media and fans alike last year. I distinctly remember the logic being that the 49ers were winning despite him and not because of him. Need proof? Go back and read the articles following the NFC Championship Game last year. That was the "proof" last year that we needed to upgrade at Quarterback. Now that he's no longer starting, everyone is talking like we just benched Steve Young in his prime. It's ridiculous.

And for the record, I was one of those that firmly believed that benching Smith was the wrong decision. I admit that since my opinion of Kap has changed. Watching him play I see that for his relative inexperience, he is at least as good as Alex was prior to his concussion. And the scary part is we haven't event tapped his full potential. Winning or losing in the playoffs isn't going to prove anything one way or another. I thought it was obvious that ALL of the NFC teams left in the playoffs are fully capable of beating us regardless of who's behind center.

Not that further indulging in this ridiculous conversation is going to change anything, anyway.
I agree with this 100%. As far as the bold statement just wait and see what Colin can get done after another training camp. This guy so determine and confident that every sport he has played he has excelled. I'm very excited for him and the 49ers going forward.
Share 49ersWebzone