LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 384 users in the forums

Which 49er Unit are you Most Concerned about Against GB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which 49er Unit are you Most Concerned about Against GB?

Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Originally posted by TinyHandsBigHeart:
I'm more concerned about the defense than the offense, but I'm most concerned about our QB above anything else.

What's wrong with that?

2nd year player in his first playoff game. Not to mention, he's only started half a season.

I'm kind of worried about Kaep's play as well.

I agree.
Originally posted by TDNiners:
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Originally posted by TinyHandsBigHeart:
I'm more concerned about the defense than the offense, but I'm most concerned about our QB above anything else.

What's wrong with that?

2nd year player in his first playoff game. Not to mention, he's only started half a season.

I'm kind of worried about Kaep's play as well.

I agree.

What I'm most worried about as far as Kaep is concerned is sustaining some long drives. Keeping Rodgers on the sidelines as much as possible.
concerned the coaching unit will forget frank gore is on the team.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
concerned the coaching unit will forget frank gore is on the team.

god that is the truth. i am worried about our coaches getting out coached as they tend to do in a loss. my worry with ck is who will he throw to if crabs gets taken out of the game. moss? ok.. but ginn is garbage, jenkins is a scared little rabbit and our tight ends have been garbage. i also have zero confidence for roman to use james in any way shape or form
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Special teams for sure. We can't kick a fieldgoal at this point and I assume this will be a close game.
(dp)
[ Edited by 49erfeeeever808 on Jan 7, 2013 at 10:22 AM ]
None. I think as long as we can get pressure on Rodgers and shut their weak running game down, our defense will be fine. Getting pressure on Rodgers will be key for our secondary too. The more pressure the better chance we have covering their WO's. As long as we don't shoot ourselves and commit any TO's, I think Kap will be able to move the ball successfully against GB's defense. They aren't that good against the run so I expect Gore and LMJ to have a good day as well. Have faith Crabtree and Moss will step up and do their thing but if we can get some decent production/big plays from Davis, Walker, and either Jenkins or Ginn too, that would go a long way as well.

Bottom line is while GB is a good team, we are more than capable of beating them. Would be a huge upset in my mind if we lost esp since we're at home. I expect us to win and advance to the Championship game for the 2nd yr in a row. Go 9ers baby!!!
I live in Packerland. Watched the game with two very knowledgeable Pack fans last weekend. In a way I'm forced to follow the Packers by proxy. So this is what i think. Being at the stick will help alot as long as the fans get loud like the did for the Saints game will be huge.

Here is what has changed for the Pack since week 1:
-They found a RB in DuJuan Harris. He's pretty good at all 3 facets of being a RB in the NFL. Runs hard like Gore and Lynch. Reminds me of them alot. Can catch out of the backfield on swing passes as well. Knows how to block sufficiently.
-Having all those receiving weapons is good and bad. They have so much its hard to know what angle they will hit you from but they also have so many toys they dont know what to play with.
-Their defense is what it was. Take Matthews out of the game/his game and they are worse. They have a hard time defending the pass but just got Woodson back last week for what that is worth. He's become more of a liability in the pass but plays the run well. The other DB's had trouble with Seattle as you recall...lol. They are just not...good.
-While I agree that Aaron Rodgers is a very good/elite QB he has his issues like everyone else. Remember how Alex Smith takes sacks to his detriment? Well Rodgers does that too. If you pressure him, he does one of two things. He either runs and he does this well, or he holds the ball and takes the sack. The Niners will need to pressure yet contain.

SF will need to play their game. By their game I mean ball control, run game. They can take shots at times because GB struggles to cover the pass. While the run defense has gotten better, it gets gashed at times. AP flat makes them look stupid. Pack fans even say that.

To me Justin Smith is HUGE for this game. Brace him up, pad him up, tape him up, shoot him up and let him go. Aldon needs him and the team needs him to play like Reggie White did when he played hurt during a Super Bowl run many moons ago. Aldon Smith needs to put on his big boy pants and realize that these opportunities don't happen like they have been the last two years. Getting chances such as this can be so very rare and he needs to find a gas station and show some fire in his butt. Son, you had 19.5 sacks in the regular season. This is the playoffs! PLAYOFFS?! (Sorrt, had to do it!)

This is a very winnable game, but its also a very lose-able as well. Seattle can beat ATL next weekend but they also might not. Personally, I'd like Seattle at home over going to ATL. Homefield in playoffs? Plus, I think revenge will be a factor. While I like Russ Wilson, he isn't god and Washington flat rolled over with the ubertalented gimp they limped out there yesterday.

To me the table is set. Win one game at a time and there isn't anyone left in this tournament they can't beat. That includes Peyton "I'm not really and MVP, but I am comeback player of the year" Manning. Really? Is it a popularity award or productivity? Or both? Tim Tebow took that team to the playoffs for crying out loud! AND as I have been saying for the last two months, who has Denver beaten? How many of those wins were over playoff teams?

I'm out..
Defense - no question.

If Justin is out, Rodgers will have more time to throw.

There are about 5 QB's in the league who will kill you if they have more time to throw and he is one of them.

Let's face it, our turn around came about when we were able to rush the passer better and when we had less 3 & outs by the offense.

The pass rush immediately improved the secondary. Justin almost always occupies 2 blockers. His absence was very telling when he went out of the Pats game, did not play the Seattle game and Aldon's lack of sacks - especially in the Rams game
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Defense? The 49ers defense has shown up against every one dimensional team we've faced this season. Packers, Saints, Patriots, Lions etc. Its the offense that I'm most concerned about. We never know which gameplan the 49ers are going to show up with. The only time the defense worries me more than the offense is against teams like Seattle, St. Louis, Minnesota etc. The ground and pound offenses. You know, the kind of offense we used to run and punish people with. Over the past few weeks Harbaugh and Roman have jumped on the bandwagon of latest trends and fads and now want us to be the Redskins. Kaep is NOT RGIII. This offense should still run through #21 IMO not #7.

the packers are not a one trick pony. they can run the ball and they have way more depth in the wide out department than we do. after crabs who scares you? 35 year moss,, jenkins for gods sake? our invisible tight ends?

So now that the Packers have run the ball a bit more over the past few weeks against the Titans, and Vikings they now have a scary running game? What are you getting at? Nobody in our passing game scares anyone and that was the point I was trying to make. We have to run the ball and own TOP to win this game. Move the chains and keep #12 off the field for as long as humanly possible. Yes we've won shootouts in the past but our defense ends up on the field for the entire game and limits their effectiveness.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerG94:
So now that the Packers have run the ball a bit more over the past few weeks against the Titans, and Vikings they now have a scary running game? What are you getting at? Nobody in our passing game scares anyone and that was the point I was trying to make. We have to run the ball and own TOP to win this game. Move the chains and keep #12 off the field for as long as humanly possible. Yes we've won shootouts in the past but our defense ends up on the field for the entire game and limits their effectiveness.
lets hope roman reads your good post. and if he does not, then JH should over ride him. i am sorry but i just have zero confidence in roman. I guess i am the only one who is hoping he will be gone in the off season
With an extra week of rest i see Aldon having a big game. Cowboy or no Cowboy
As a UNIT.... I would say our Cornerbacks..
Pass rush
The defense is definitely what we have to be concerned about. If we don't have pressure from the DL and one of the LB's, Rodgers will carve us up. Agaisnt the Vikings, it is obvious that he runs the true WCO as well as Montana ever did. Bill Walsh definitely approves from up above. His swing passes to Cobb, dinks to TE's and YAC to talented receiving corps are devastating. It is like looking at the Niners with Craig, Clark, Rice and Taylor. Pick your poison. The other thing about the Defense that alarms me is Fangio's/Harbuagh's reluctance to rotate the DL to keep them fresh. Walsh was the one who made sure he had a fresh DL in the 4th quarter. Belichik who copies everything Walsh wrote in his book also rotates DL to keep them fresh. To sum it up, the only way the Giants beat the Packers last year in the playoffs and the Pats in the SB was because of their successful pass rush. Absent that, they would have been cannon fodder for Rodgers and Brady.
Share 49ersWebzone