LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 354 users in the forums

Bring back Moss?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:
If Moss is brought back, then I can see the same WR group remains intact for next year and yet some might believe we still need help at the wideout position.

With the injury Manningham suffered, combined with Williams injury, its basically a must to at least add some depth and with all the picks they have this year, there's no reason not to get at least one more WR.

If he is willing to come back on another one year cheap contract than i wouldnt mind it, but it definately is something to where they need to bring in another Wr in the draft and have honest competition through the off season. I wouldnt want to keep Mss as the #2 strictly for the sake of having him as the #2. If he can hold onto that spot fine, but i would like to see compitition at the very least. I like what he brought this year, but i think we can deffinately upgrade.
Yes, but at a reduced salary at around one million.
Originally posted by Olejohnnyboy:
Yes, but at a reduced salary at around one million.

He makes vet minimum as it is. Can't get much lower than that.

Bring him back, especially since Manningham & Williams' ACL-injuries might take some time to heal.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
If he is willing to come back on another one year cheap contract than i wouldnt mind it, but it definately is something to where they need to bring in another Wr in the draft and have honest competition through the off season. I wouldnt want to keep Mss as the #2 strictly for the sake of having him as the #2. If he can hold onto that spot fine, but i would like to see compitition at the very least. I like what he brought this year, but i think we can deffinately upgrade.

Kaepernick seems to trust him, if keeping Moss around helps Kaepernick develop better and faster, pay him whatever he wants, he likely won't be around for more than a year or two longer at best and can still be productive at his age.
moss has been the ultimate professional this year. hes a huge asset to this team. if he wants to be back they should definitely make it happen
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Kaepernick seems to trust him, if keeping Moss around helps Kaepernick develop better and faster, pay him whatever he wants, he likely won't be around for more than a year or two longer at best and can still be productive at his age.

I agree with you, other than the pay him hatever he wants comment. I do think Kaep likes to target him, but sometimes i worry he attempts to force it there at times. I think this is a thing where Him and moss connect successfully in practice, but then in the real game things dont quite work out like they do in practice.
Hell yeah. Moss was an outstanding presence on this team. Really great teammate from what it looks like, and he seems to get along great with everyone especially Crabtree and Kaep. I hope AJ Jenkins gets more chances to emulate Moss' work ethic and skill set because I still believe AJ Jenkins has the potential to be our #2 receiver in the future. Just needs to get the small things down (which is a lot of what our teams offense is based off of; getting the little things right.)
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
Hell yeah. Moss was an outstanding presence on this team. Really great teammate from what it looks like, and he seems to get along great with everyone especially Crabtree and Kaep. I hope AJ Jenkins gets more chances to emulate Moss' work ethic and skill set because I still believe AJ Jenkins has the potential to be our #2 receiver in the future. Just needs to get the small things down (which is a lot of what our teams offense is based off of; getting the little things right.)

moss being here for AJ is a huge reason to bring him back. i think everyone is overreacting about AJ being a bust in his first year, i dont think the kid gets the playbook. lamichael didnt play til a few weeks ago because he was having problems with it. i think moss can help AJ with the playbook and give him other tips to become a great receiver. AJ has all the tools to be an NFL receiver. a little on the skinny side but then again so is moss.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
moss being here for AJ is a huge reason to bring him back. i think everyone is overreacting about AJ being a bust in his first year, i dont think the kid gets the playbook. lamichael didnt play til a few weeks ago because he was having problems with it. i think moss can help AJ with the playbook and give him other tips to become a great receiver. AJ has all the tools to be an NFL receiver. a little on the skinny side but then again so is moss.

Spend a million bucks for little production, I can't see it. There are coaches that can help AJ learn the playbook. I believe he can ball but you have to produce on the field. As I stated on this thread if Moss produces in the playoffs bring him back to camp in July.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Spend a million bucks for little production, I can't see it. There are coaches that can help AJ learn the playbook. I believe he can ball but you have to produce on the field. As I stated on this thread if Moss produces in the playoffs bring him back to camp in July.

Little production? How many times has he actually had the ball thrown to him? He was a part time player for most of the year, there have also been a lot of situations where he was open and the ball never got to him or he simply got jacked up by the defensive back and nothing was called. Just being on the field he's forced defenses to adjust and keep an eye on him. He's shown that 1 on 1 he's a tough cover for most cornerbacks still, so teams have to play a safety over the top, now if the playcalling wasn't fervently retarded, if there was a better offensive playcaller, that individual would find more ways to exploit the matchups out on the field, forcing defenses to pick their poison, having to defend Moss, Crabtree, VD and James in the slot all at the same time.

But since we've got someone who has no clue how to call the passing game, you end up minimizing the effectiveness and explosiveness of some of these targets instead. Additionally you've got a shaky QB situation as Kaepernick is still settling into the job and developing chemistry with the receivers, get better playcalling and with Kaepernick having more time with these receivers and more time playing, you should see some impressive offense next season.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 2, 2013 at 3:14 AM ]

Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

moss did more than jacobs ever did and they paid his ass to sit on the bench for most of the year. a million isnt really that much in football man. moss made some huge catches for us and we won a few games because of his contributions. going into the playoffs he and crabs are our top threats. i expect moss to be a huge part of our game. if u can keep a HOFer on the roster for a million its worth that million just for the advice and knowledge he brings but moss can still play. he can still smoke people out there and his hands still look great.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Lets see if he is worth it, Playoffs should answer questions.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Only to mentor the youngings.
The salary cap and Randy will make that choice, even at the Veterans minimum, he is over paid. Not much left in his tank, I'd rather save the cash, and invest it in a rookie, or 3rd tier free agent. Nothing personal, but I'm not impressed.
yes yes yes
Share 49ersWebzone