LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

If Fangio leaves, who would you want at DC?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If Fangio leaves, who would you want at DC?

LOVIE SMITH?

Tomsula all the way man. Players love him.
Tomsula would be an excellent replacement - Hell - he might even be better now!
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by JayPap:
Mike Nolan

Say what you want about Nolan, as a HC, but i personally feel he is a damn good DC.

Why are peeps voting for Lovie Smith? This team doesn't need to become a 4-3 Tampa 2 Defense.

I voted for Donatell. I think Harbaugh made hires of Assistants with the thought of eventually replacing his coordinators with assistants already on the staff. On D...Donatell, Leavitt...both good options.

Same on offense.
Originally posted by JayPap:
Mike Nolan

Not just no...
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Why are peeps voting for Lovie Smith? This team doesn't need to become a 4-3 Tampa 2 Defense.

I voted for Donatell. I think Harbaugh made hires of Assistants with the thought of eventually replacing his coordinators with assistants already on the staff. On D...Donatell, Leavitt...both good options.

Same on offense.
Shouldn't even be on the poll. He'll likely get the Bills job.
The Bucs asked to interview Donatell for their DC spot and Harbaugh refused. I think he's next in line if Fangio leaves.

I don't think Fangio's going anywhere.
jim hostler

Same on offense.

Personally I think the defense could be amazing in a Tampa 2 scheme. Obviously, you'd only hire him if he'd be creative with it to fit the personnel, but I love the idea of having 2 MLB in Willis and Bowman who are athletic enough to play that role and create opportunities to disguise coverage.
Originally posted by Overkill:
The Bucs asked to interview Donatell for their DC spot and Harbaugh refused. I think he's next in line if Fangio leaves.

I don't think Fangio's going anywhere.

I get that feeling too. Donatell has about 6 or 7 seasons worth of experience as a defensive coordinator in the NFL, has generally done decently as a defensive coordinator, his defenses were generally middle of the road but he always improved upon the numbers of the guy that was there before him.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 3, 2013 at 2:01 PM ]

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I get that feeling too. Donatell has about 6 or 7 seasons worth of experience as a defensive coordinator in the NFL, has generally done decently as a defensive coordinator, his defenses were generally middle of the road but he always improved upon the numbers of the guy that was there before him.

we can keep both. teams can interview any assistant coach when they look for a head coach position but when it comes for promotion as position coach or coordinator, teams can deny any permission for asking teams.

however, tomsula can go only if a team ask for him as head coach if not then forget it.
I wouldn't mind Romeo Crennel.. He's done a great job as a Defensive Coordinator everywhere he's been and with his 2 head coaching gigs that were just gawd awful, maybe he'd be left alone for quite a while....
Originally posted by SFrush:

Same on offense.
Shouldn't even be on the poll. He'll likely get the Bills job.
This, it's like the fascination with hiring Norv Turner again. Dude doesn't even run the same offense we run.

My vote was for Tomsula, but would be really happy with Donatell or Leviett as well.
[ Edited by Jesu80ncleats on Jan 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM ]
I think Fangio LIKES coaching this team. I think he's tried the HC thing and doesn't want all the headaches that come with it. He's got his money, and now he can just coach defense.

Seems like a guy like Fangio just LOVES having superstar players like Willis, Bowman, Smith and Smith, etc. But, maybe that;s just wishful thinking.
Jim Leavitt has earned that job with what he has done with our linebackers. Plus he has been a successful college head coach so calling plays shouldn't be a huge reach for him.
Share 49ersWebzone