There are 130 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If Roman leaves, who would you want at OC?

If Roman leaves, who would you want at OC?

Pep Hamilton
norv turner even though i think it may be better to keep it within the team.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Understatement, even in 1999 when he had Harbaugh and Kramer, the playcalling was just plain awful.

Not exactly in there prime QB's and the next year he was stuck with Ryan Leaf...
Originally posted by Jcool:
Not exactly in there prime QB's and the next year he was stuck with Ryan Leaf...

By that same regard, Hostler got screwed with a bad roster as well. It goes well beyond the talent on the team, the situational playcalling and awareness, Chryst had absolutely none. Guys like Jimmy Raye have been hired, fired and re-hired, there's OC's all over the NFL who have gotten canned and then re-hired within a few years, its telling that Chryst was passed over to be an offensive coordinator and not a single team decided he was worth being put in that position again.
My two top choices are

Marc Trestman (Phoenix reminded me of this guy and turned me on to the idea)
Norv turner
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
By that same regard, Hostler got screwed with a bad roster as well. It goes well beyond the talent on the team, the situational playcalling and awareness, Chryst had absolutely none. Guys like Jimmy Raye have been hired, fired and re-hired, there's OC's all over the NFL who have gotten canned and then re-hired within a few years, its telling that Chryst was passed over to be an offensive coordinator and not a single team decided he was worth being put in that position again.

Also telling that the QB during those SD years hired him to be his QB coach.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Also telling that the QB during those SD years hired him to be his QB coach.

He's been a very good quarterback's coach by all accounts, and that is why he's stayed in the NFL, however that doesn't translate into him being a good playcaller by any stretch of the imagination. He wasn't once brought into the conversation when Harbaugh was looking at an offensive coordinator, Roman, Trestman and Shaw were.
Chris Ault. Better get on the wave of the future. He knows the pistol and CK very well. A more dynamic offense to force all these hard hitting defenses in the West to spread out.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Pat Shurmur! He looks like a guy who can't be a good HC but one hell of an OC.

+1

hmm
jEEZ, nERVOUS Norvous? Are you talking about the same guy who came here about 7-8 yrs ago, getting a gig with us so he could wait for his NEXT HC job? You gotta be kidding. Besides, that, he is a krappy coach. His job in SD should have been over 2 yrs ago. Norv is like bedbugs. they are like roaches. norv fits in there somewhere. That would be the worlds worst signing for us. norv is an out and out opportunist, and we don't need that.

My answer for HC is ....Jim Harbaugh, who calls plays most of time anyway. We need an OC to help with administrative stuff...stuff that JH doesn't have time for. We got one of the best OCs in the business right now and he happens to also be our qb,OC, and HC. Please, cut roman adrift, and please avoid norvous like the plague. The guy is bad for not this team , but any team. How about trust? Norv promised noln he would be here 2 yrs.(so the story goes), and we all know how that worked out. Trestman? Wasn't he here, once upon a time as an asst? or did he actually do some OC? Whatever, not impressed wth him either. But i sure do like JH as OC, jsut like bellicheat and Coach Walsh. Sure , other guys were here, but Coach W was actually the playcaller deluxe. So is Jim harbaugh.

I do like childress and would be ok wth him.. My fav by far is whisnehunt, but he will get another HC job for certain. Great football guy.
hmm

I don't know if he'd best the best choice, but he certainly would be the most entertaining.
hmm

I don't know if he'd best the best choice, but he certainly would be the most entertaining.

if we do hire him (which is highly unlikely) I sure do hope we don't face the bears LOL
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
jEEZ, nERVOUS Norvous? Are you talking about the same guy who came here about 7-8 yrs ago, getting a gig with us so he could wait for his NEXT HC job? You gotta be kidding. Besides, that, he is a krappy coach. His job in SD should have been over 2 yrs ago. Norv is like bedbugs. they are like roaches. norv fits in there somewhere. That would be the worlds worst signing for us. norv is an out and out opportunist, and we don't need that.

My answer for HC is ....Jim Harbaugh, who calls plays most of time anyway. We need an OC to help with administrative stuff...stuff that JH doesn't have time for. We got one of the best OCs in the business right now and he happens to also be our qb,OC, and HC. Please, cut roman adrift, and please avoid norvous like the plague. The guy is bad for not this team , but any team. How about trust? Norv promised noln he would be here 2 yrs.(so the story goes), and we all know how that worked out. Trestman? Wasn't he here, once upon a time as an asst? or did he actually do some OC? Whatever, not impressed wth him either.

The height of ignorance, not having a clue who a guy is and not being "impressed" by him.

"But i sure do like JH as OC, jsut like bellicheat and Coach Walsh. Sure , other guys were here, but Coach W was actually the playcaller deluxe. So is Jim harbaugh. I do like childress and would be ok wth him.. My fav by far is whisnehunt, but he will get another HC job for certain. Great football guy."

A. Belichick doesn't call the offensive plays for the Patriots anymore than George Seifert called offensive plays for the 49ers when he was the head coach.

B. Whisenhunt is a mediocre head coach, lousy leader and inflexible, Singletary with a few more brain cells.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 1, 2013 at 6:32 PM ]