There are 64 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If Roman leaves, who would you want at OC?

If Roman leaves, who would you want at OC?

1. Pat Shurmur

2. Marc Trestman

3. Norv Turner

The VERY last person I want is Geep Chryst, going from Roman's mediocre record of playcalling to a guy who as vanilla as they come and was horrendous in his only stint at offensive coordinator. "BRB, it's 3 and 2, let's throw it 30 yards downfield. 2 and 20? Run it up the gut, they'll never see it coming!" How many quality coordinators can you list that didn't have a second chance within 12 years? Chryst is fine as a quarterback's coach and should stay there.

Also, not interested in Ault as offensive coordinator whatsoever. No more college offensive coordinators please. Someone with pro experience and a pro background is a must.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 1, 2013 at 3:53 PM ]
David Shaw
Steve Young. No, Terry Kirby!
Geep Chryst over Norv Turner hahaha
Originally posted by SkyGod:
Geep Chryst over Norv Turner hahaha

Geep Chryst over pretty much anyone is something that boggles my mind. I've always hated the notion that you should promote a guy for simply being THERE, especially when he has a lousy track record.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
1. Pat Shurmur

2. Marc Trestman

3. Norv Turner

The VERY last person I want is Geep Chryst, going from Roman's mediocre record of playcalling to a guy who as vanilla as they come and was horrendous in his only stint at offensive coordinator. "BRB, it's 3 and 2, let's throw it 30 yards downfield. 2 and 20? Run it up the gut, they'll never see it coming!" How many quality coordinators can you list that didn't have a second chance within 12 years? Chryst is fine as a quarterback's coach and should stay there.

Also, not interested in Ault as offensive coordinator whatsoever. No more college offensive coordinators please. Someone with pro experience and a pro background is a must.

dont think trestman is leaving montreal unless its a HC gig. hes got a nice thing going in montreal
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Pat Shurmer, brilliant offensive coordinator/mind. Trained under Andy Reid half his career, would actually help Kaepernick's skill level (cause his style, like Reid's is similar to Holmgren's, properly utilizes a QB who can let it 'rip').

The downside of Shurmur is that in about 2 years, you'd be back in the same exact spot all over again as he'd be getting a head coaching gig PDQ.
Originally posted by crabman82:
dont think trestman is leaving montreal unless its a HC gig. hes got a nice thing going in montreal

His quarterback is old....real old, Calvillo is like 41 or 42 now and he's been the best quarterback in the CFL. Having a chance to get back to the NFL again would be huge for Trestman. Harbaugh kicked around the tires with him when he first got hired as the 49ers coach, the Colts also looked at him as both a head coach and offensive coordinator candidate. I think in the right situation, he'd be excited to come back, especially for a team that had sent him packing before.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 1, 2013 at 4:03 PM ]
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Pat Shurmer, brilliant offensive coordinator/mind. Trained under Andy Reid half his career, would actually help Kaepernick's skill level (cause his style, like Reid's is similar to Holmgren's, properly utilizes a QB who can let it 'rip').

The downside of Shurmur is that in about 2 years, you'd be back in the same exact spot all over again as he'd be getting a head coaching gig PDQ.

We remind everyone about his gig at cleveland! That would scare em off

His quarterback is old....real old, having a chance to get back to the NFL again would be huge. Harbaugh kicked around the tires with him when he first got hired as the 49ers coach, the Colts also looked at him as both a head coach and offensive coordinator candidate. I think in the right situation, he'd be excited to come back, especially for a team that had sent him packing before.

calvillo just signed for 2 years, if trestman isnt offered a HC gig, i dont think hes leaving
Originally posted by gold49digger:
We remind everyone about his gig at cleveland! That would scare em off

He didn't do too badly in Cleveland at all, he had to deal with a crapload of injuries and had a roster loaded with rookies, I feel like he can be a good head coach in the future.
calvillo just signed for 2 years, if trestman isnt offered a HC gig, i dont think hes leaving
Calvillo is 40 years old, there's a chance he might not make it another 2 years.

If he gets a chance as an offensive coordinator for an NFL team, he's not passing that down, are you kidding? BRB, refusing to be a 3rd base coach in major league baseball so you can manage Double AA. Getting that coordinator position is a stepping stone to a head coaching gig, especially on a highly talented winning team.

In anycase, he's still one of the best candidates out there, he's an absolute genius when it comes to the WCO and there is basically nothing that he hasn't seen in his time in football. He has a prior relationship with Harbaugh and has had tremendous success all throughout his career with young quarterbacks. If there's a chance of it happening, I'd love to see him come back to the 49ers.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 1, 2013 at 4:10 PM ]
Let me be clear. NO NORV TURNER!
Originally posted by VA49er:
Let me be clear. NO NORV TURNER!

Agreed.

Anyone who wants Norv, after seeing how different and flat out BETTER our offense is with Greg Roman, is a moron.

Norv is not going to match the kind of creativity that is helping us win games at the moment.