There are 146 users in the forums

49ers not running as much anymore with Kaepernick

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Frank Gore-119 carries for the first 8 games.....656 yards

Frank Gore-119 carries for the next 7 game......490 yards

I don't see anything unusual as Gore's numbers typically dip towards the latter half of the season. The biggest difference from the first 8 games and the next 7 seems to be the absence of Hunter which has been severely underrated, he did a lot of great things and his YPC was outstanding, losing him has really affected this team's offense overall, they're running the ball as much, they just aren't being as effective. James is not the same type of runner as Hunter.
The differance i notice is the types of runs gore is getting and the formations used for those runs.

I agree with you to a point about LMJ vs hunter, but again, i dont think they are using LMJ right either. They are using him mostly on the edge, where as in college he mad his money between the tackle. He is very elusive between the tackles and i would like to see him get more carries there. Hunter as beter about heading upfield as soon as he sa the edge. LMJ seems to force it more outside than is necissary. He needs to hit the edge as soon as its there.

The whole gameplan and formations being used for the entire run game has not been effective since they switched up at QB and the only thing i can say to explain it is the gameplan has shifted from a power running philosophy to more of a finnesse philosophy. It has not been effective.
The difference is the opposing offense has been lighting up the defense, which means we really can't run. I mean the run game against Seattle went out the window after three quick touchdowns.
The difference is the calls at the line that Kap's doing. He's not effective at them yet. He's got to read the defense better when it comes to changing to a run play. Let's hope he improves. We are also doing things that have taken us away from what was so effective early on. Our running game has suffered by 30 yards a game since the switch.
I guess harbaugh doesn't give a damn about the success of this 49er team. There will be hell to pay if Kaep doesn't get us to the SB this year.
Originally posted by NJNiner:
I guess harbaugh doesn't give a damn about the success of this 49er team. There will be hell to pay if Kaep doesn't get us to the SB this year.

This attitude is asinine. There's never any guarantee of getting to a Super Bowl. What are you going to do if they DON'T get to a Superbowl? Whine some more? Become a Packers fan?

Harbaugh made a judgment call, as a head coach he felt that having Kaepernick was ultimately the right choice for this team, however there are never any guarantees. There was absolutely no guarantee of getting to the Superbowl with Alex at QB, especially after they got rocked by the Giants. They weren't some magical shoe-in to win it all that got stifled by Harbaugh replacing a guy that the majority of 49ers fans had complained about his entire career with the team. This team played almost perfect defense, and excelled at special teams and just barely made it to the NFC Championship Game.

This year their defense has been significantly less effective, the special teams has been downright mediocre, not sure why people feel that's all of a sudden a recipe for success. I do hope they make it to the Superbowl, but I also won't freak out if they don't. Two years in a row being in the playoffs, two years in a row winning the NFC West, that is something you can definitely build upon.
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
The difference is the calls at the line that Kap's doing. He's not effective at them yet. He's got to read the defense better when it comes to changing to a run play. Let's hope he improves. We are also doing things that have taken us away from what was so effective early on. Our running game has suffered by 30 yards a game since the switch.

Agreed. Smith was great at changing the play at the line. Often times Gore would break huge runs when Smith would audible out.

On another point, it seems that the running game has declined due to the formations we're using. Gore said so himself:

"We do more different things with Kap, as far as running the ball different," Gore said. "So I have to just be more patient with it. (I) don't know if I'm going to get it with the read-option game.

"You read the same thing. You read the same people. Some plays you don't know whether he's going to keep it or not."

On those plays in which Gore lines up behind Kaepernick in the "pistol" formation, Gore said he can't be as aggressive in hitting the hole because Kaepernick is reading the defensive end and might pull the ball from Gore and keep it himself on any given run play.

linkage
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Dec 28, 2012 at 7:47 PM ]
ok
Share 49ersWebzone