There are 102 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Anyone else NOT a fan of the second seed bye week?

Anyone else NOT a fan of the second seed bye week?

There have been 20 teams that played in the past 10 Superbowls. 14 of them had first rd byes. So the odds are very much in favor of teams that get a first rd bye to reach the Superbowl.
Originally posted by nflguy49:
There have been 20 teams that played in the past 10 Superbowls. 14 of them had first rd byes. So the odds are very much in favor of teams that get a first rd bye to reach the Superbowl.

Between 2000 and 2010 only ONE top seeded NFL team won the superbowl, in either the AFC or the NFC.

I don't have stats for #2 seed yet.

https://www.profootballhof.com/hof/release.aspx?release_id=1942&print=y
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,368
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by buck:
Regular season objectives

1. winning season
2. make the playoffs
3. win the division
4. get bye week
5. get home field advantage
6. go undefeated

If we win tomorrow, we achieve four of the six.



How do we get #4 if the Packers win?....
Packers need to lose at the Vikings and we must win.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
No Giants, thank heaven. Green Bay at Lambeau, I just watched a replay of the Ice Bowl 67', no thanks. Falcons in a controlled environment, sounds good. Week off? Last year the Giants went through Atlanta, Green Bay and San Francisco. And finally there is the not so improbable rematch with Seattle, that would be along the magnitude of Dallas-SF 92' and 94' Championship game Wars.

Uh, if the Giants win Sunday, they can still make the playoffs.
[ Edited by Lott49ersFan on Dec 29, 2012 at 9:35 AM ]
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
No Giants, thank heaven. Green Bay at Lambeau, I just watched a replay of the Ice Bowl 67', no thanks. Falcons in a controlled environment, sounds good. Week off? Last year the Giants went through Atlanta, Green Bay and San Francisco. And finally there is the not so improbable rematch with Seattle, that would be along the magnitude of Dallas-SF 92' and 94' Championship game Wars.

Uh, if the Giants win Sunday, they can still make the playoffs.
But NYG also need the Cowboys, Vikings, and Bears to lose. Not saying it's impossible, but that's a pretty tall order.
Absolutely a fan of the 2nd round by. As others have stated, just because GB and NYG did it the past two years does not make it a recipe for the Lombardi.

This team needs it all the more with the rate they've been beaten up the past 4 or 5 weeks.
Originally posted by crabman82:
likewise for me. even though its become en vouge to just make the playoffs then turn it on a la the giants and packers of the last 2 years, you just cant bank on that s**t. plus we're a california team, we dont want to be in gb when its 20 below and snowing with our season on the line.

GB's actually not really built to play well at home in January when it's miserable weather in Green Bay. They are a finesse pass, pass, pass offense. That's why Aaron Rodgers has never won a home playoff game and were on the road the whole time during their super bowl run 2 years ago.
[ Edited by kap2crab on Dec 29, 2012 at 11:56 AM ]
It all depends on the team and the situation... In our case, a bye is needed.
the bye is better now go back to reading more iron man comics and leave the football to the grown ups.
I would ordinarily point to the fact that 5 of the past 7 super bowl winners did not have byes, but because of 94 and 85's health, we need it.
Originally posted by susweel:
the bye is better now go back to reading more iron man comics and leave the football to the grown ups.

right.ok. Even Harbros. said that momentum is a great thing, but once it runs out, it's out.
Man, I want that second seed BAD
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 23,979
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Man, I want that second seed BAD


Yeah, me too. We really can use it. I think we'll get it.
I'm almost more inclined to turn our game off after halftime, and go over to the Vikes/Packers game.
I would rather the extra rest after a grueling season, and only needing 2 wins to get to the SB instead of 3...

Isnt it common sense to want the bye? This isnt baseball. If you come out of a bye at home and take a dump against a WC team you werent that good to begin with. The divisional round just weeds out the pretenders. Take the week to heal up, and youre automatically 1 game closer to the SB.