LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 304 users in the forums

Does anyone still believe that we will win the SB this season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does anyone still believe that we will win the SB this season?

i never was 100% positive we would win the superbowl this year. but we still have a good shot with or without a bye.
Originally posted by cciowa:
i am amused by posters who act like the poor pass protection and penalties only began when ck was named the starter

Hellz naw....this has been going on since WEEK 1.... I don't understand how we didn't commit penalties like these last year but we can't seem to stop this year. And poor pass protection dates back to days of Steve Young... Seriously we haven't had a good PP oline in over 10 years or more..
There's only 2 teams that worry me in the NFC and despite are many ups and downs, we still have a strong D and we still have a very good team. The team that worries me the most though is the Broncos in the Superbowl...
playoffs is a whole new season. anything can happen once you're in.
One loss against a red hot Seattle team hasn't swayed my confidence, but if they had to go to Seattle again in the postseason I don't love their chances (Niners would win in San Francisco though). The biggest concern to me is that they may now have to travel to Green Bay again, this time in cold weather, and the Packers are warming up at the right time and could be trouble. Very interested to see how Sunday plays out, but regardless I think they've got as much of a shot as anyone to win it all this year...just have to string together more than two wins in a row!!
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Playoffs, yes, but I never thought we'd go the the Super Bowl this season.

This is only the second season under Harbaugh and co., and there are still things to improve.

Its a better team this year, but the record isn't as good. That was predicted by many before the season started, and its been proven correct.

Compare this team with those under Nolan and Singletary, and you can see the areas of improvement, the turnover in personnel, and the gradual narrowing of areas of concern.

OL is much better--no more Chilo Rachel or Adam Snyder.

WR corps is much better--even with all the significant injuries at the end of the season.

We now have a pass rush.

Offensive game planning and play calling is now more obviously an area of concern, irrespective of who's at QB.

Overall its a young team that should mature into a SB champion, but that may take another year or so.

Then I expect a run of SB appearances!
Oline isn't much better than last year.. About even par if you ask me. Pass Rush in non existent other that Aldon..
Doubtful, but still possible.

LOTS of improvement needed as mentioned here.

If we could have scored in the Red Zone in the Seattle game it would have been a close game. That's STILL a very weak part of our performance.

Injuries are devastating. Our guys were gassed after the Pats game and looked very tired at the start of the Seahawks game. We need more effective contributions from our bench.

I'm more confident about next seasons - after an excellent draft by Baalke/JH to improve some positions.

The immediate future doesn't look as bright as it did at the beginning of the season,
If Justin smith is back, then yes, and if the pack ends up losing and we get 2nd seed its even more possible
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Playoffs, yes, but I never thought we'd go the the Super Bowl this season.

This is only the second season under Harbaugh and co., and there are still things to improve.

Its a better team this year, but the record isn't as good. That was predicted by many before the season started, and its been proven correct.

Compare this team with those under Nolan and Singletary, and you can see the areas of improvement, the turnover in personnel, and the gradual narrowing of areas of concern.

OL is much better--no more Chilo Rachel or Adam Snyder.

WR corps is much better--even with all the significant injuries at the end of the season.

We now have a pass rush.

Offensive game planning and play calling is now more obviously an area of concern, irrespective of who's at QB.

Overall its a young team that should mature into a SB champion, but that may take another year or so.

Then I expect a run of SB appearances!
Oline isn't much better than last year.. About even par if you ask me. Pass Rush in non existent other that Aldon..
You must not remember the total lack of pass rush under Nolan. Zero, none.

And the Oline is much improved over last year. Watch when Arizona comes to the Stick next Sunday. With Chilo/Snyder in there, the right side of the line would collapse on virtually every pass play. The O-line this year has acutally gotten credit some weeks from media sources--Madden, Mooch, etc. They're still a work in progress, and have some things to improve on, but they're MUCH better than they ever were under Singletary or Nolan.

[ Edited by oldninerdude on Dec 26, 2012 at 10:23 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
just get into the playoffs and let it ride.

• SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Hellz naw....this has been going on since WEEK 1.... I don't understand how we didn't commit penalties like these last year but we can't seem to stop this year. And poor pass protection dates back to days of Steve Young... Seriously we haven't had a good PP oline in over 10 years or more..

We basically haven't had good pass protection since Coach McKittrick passed away.....
Yes, in Kaep I trust!
  • vaden
  • Veteran
We will be the favorite in any NFC game except at GB and possibly at ATL. Since we've already won in dominating fashion at GB (albeit we've regressed a lot since then) and most agree that ATL is worse, a SB trip doesn't seem that unlikely. But it's really hard for me to see us beating the Broncos or Patriots. Yes, I know we just did the latter in their house, but only because of a slew of lucky bounces. All but 10 of our points came on drives that started in their territory. The odds of anything like that happening again are infinitesimal. Pats outgained us by 137 yards and they were playing on a short week and probably not as mentally up for the game after just having blown out Houston. The thought of giving Belichick two weeks to prepare, especially after already facing us six weeks earlier, is damn scary.
We might face Seattle at the Stick in the playoffs. Which is fine with me. Beat the Seachickens when it counts most!
Of course I believe it's possible. The Niners did not play up to their potential for one game. As long as they get Justin Smith back and no one else in the WR corps gets hurt, they are still a dangerous team in the playoffs. The Seahawks look like the hottest team right now, but the Niners have beaten them before. I will not give up on them yet.
Share 49ersWebzone