LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 313 users in the forums

Does anyone still believe that we will win the SB this season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does anyone still believe that we will win the SB this season?

If we get Justin Smith back and if Jenkins steps-up then we have as good a shot as everyone else.
This team has just as good of a shot as anyone else at winning the Superbowl.

Last year the nfc championship was gonna be between NO and GB going into the playoffs... It was a "sure thing." How did that work out?

Switching QBs doesn't account for giving up roughly 70 points in 5 quarters. The thing about this team is they start looking ahead or resting on their accomplishments thinking they can just show up and win.

I think this loss was actually perfect timing (aside from the injuries of course), this team got humiliated and its the perfect time to get angry and tune out all distractions. These are proud guys, and hopefully we see a fire in this teams eye that hasn't necessarily been there since the GB and Detroit games when they were still considered underdogs/unproven. Once we started hitting #1 in power polls it's like the team goes into cruise control. But that has happened to every team rated #1 so far.
Never thought we would. Last year was our year and we choked
Right now this Niner teams seems less good than the 2011 team. The defense is not as good, and now we have so many injuries on offense. DL depth is really needed in the draft, we have to keep those players fresh and rotate them. Another top corner and WR in the draft. If the Niners fail this season I blame it on a bad 2012 draft or a lack of the coaching staff to use those players.

2013 should be a better year if we get our health back and a have a solid draft.

This Niner team can still win the Super Bowl this season however, never give up hope!
Bill Walsh coached teams always entered the playoffs on a hot streak. ALWAYS

Bill Walsh coached teams always played their best football in December. ALWAYS

I can't say that about this team. Therefore, I have my doubts.
Unfortunately after the big QB drummed up controversy I feel like our offense is in a mode where they are struggling to find an identity. With AS we were a consistent grind it out, smash mouthed running team which was content on taking what the defense gives them. Now we seem to be a team more focused on hitting the big splash play or running that darn read option, which consequently does not bode well for time of possession. Can anyone name another team, except for the Cowboys if they make it, in the playoffs that is searching for that identity this late in the season??? Based on this I feel like our chances of winning the SB are slim.
Originally posted by billbird2111:

As we're playing October ball with a new quarterback, and we just blew our load in New England. Sounds like the complete opposite of what you've mentioned.

It really just comes down to how healthy can Justin Smith be. If we have the Justin Smith that pushes Bushrod back into Drew Brees for a sack, then I think our chances are pretty decent.
Originally posted by RedRush7:
My God. You guys act like 49ers lost the Super Bowl. We've got blown out before, and you guys sit here and act like the 49ers are deceased. However, when we win the next week, it's another side. Pointing out all the negatives-- where is the positives? Understand that Seattle had to win this game. We could had whooped their ass just like we did the Patriots. Their playoff dreams were in jeperody, and now they're being talked about in the media. I'm sort of satisfied they blown us out, because that only makes us the under dogs. When the 9ers are under dogs, we'll win the super bowl. We're a totally different team in the playoffs with Alex Smith or Kaep(beating up Bears, Saints, and Patriots). Now, Vikings are in the same situation Seattle was in. However, if Vikings don't win, I feel that 9ers can do what the Giants did lasts year.

Typical over reaction, mostly due to the switch at the qb position. He didn't do anything directly to lose the game and didn't do anything to win it either. What is the winning % of teams who's defense who gives up 35 points? I'm sure it isn't very high, our team is built on not giving up over 20 points. When we do we usually come up on the short end. The only thing I agree with the pro Alex crowd is we have to get back to our identity which is running the ball. Also, when we start running again can Frank at least try to sell the play action fake? He is like 10 feet away from Kaep every time, trying to get to his blocking assignments. Him or them not selling it throws the whole purpose of play action out of whack.
[ Edited by Irish40Niner on Dec 26, 2012 at 12:04 PM ]
5 of the past 7 Super Bowl winners played first round games. #1 seeds have only won the Super Bowl twice in the past decade. Most teams that have won the Super Bowl don't have perfect Decembers, in fact the teams with perfect Decembers tend to lose the 1st playoff game they play. This team has beaten GB, NO, and the Pats at there places while losing to Minn, rams and hawks on the road... Considering with a win over AZ we won't have to worry about visiting the hawks or minn... I like our chances.

Recent History tells us that champions can come from anywhere, superbowls aren't won in December and in one week 16 teams will be 0-0 and none of the regular season will matter.
[ Edited by 5280High on Dec 26, 2012 at 12:03 PM ]
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Losing the 2nd seed- Learning experience

Losing to the Rams- Learning experience

Playing like s**t against the Dolphins- Learning experience

fumbling the ball 4 times in one game- Learning experience

Running backwards into the endzone for a safety- Learning experience

Throwing into tripple and double coverage- Learning experience

Not throwing to a wide open Crabtree on a bubble screen- Learning experience

Calling an audible with 3 seconds on the clock- Learning experience

Having to simplify the offense at half time- Learning experience

Besides NE, throwing 1 td pass in garbage time in the last 4 games- Elite

Staring down receivers- Learning experience

Throwing across his body twice- Learning experience

Overthrowing receivers- Alex Smith experience

he shoots, he scores----niners i dont think are going to sniff the superbowl with the present offensive scheme they are running...but it would probably win the pac 10 title

Originally posted by SealTeam6:
I think our team is above average but there are at least 6 teams that can say the same.
We are way too predictable and if everything doesn't go perfectly we end up on the losing side.
Our coaches are not on the same talent level as our players, and it continues to show.
I feel like this team will tease us for years, and eventually Harbuagh will be shown the door for never sealing the deal. We will be the Bills of the of the 90's great seasons with sexy numbers and not much to show for it.

i dont know about harbaugh being shown the door, but i could see him leaving for a dream job like sy the University of michigan if brady hoke chokes
Originally posted by footballxpaul:
If Justin smith is back, then yes, and if the pack ends up losing and we get 2nd seed its even more possible

even if justin smith comes back he may not be close to 100% healthy---his injury could be very devestating---several times earlier in season he used the term we dodged a bullet when talking about players who looked like they may have dsuffered devestating injuries---he hasnt said anything like that yet for smith
[ Edited by hofer36 on Dec 26, 2012 at 12:09 PM ]
Eric Davis' NFC Champ game is Seattle at GB!!!! He had the Packers beating us and then the Hawks, arguably the two best defenses to get to the SB!!! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Originally posted by billbird2111:

As we're playing October ball with a new quarterback, and we just blew our load in New England. Sounds like the complete opposite of what you've mentioned.

It really just comes down to how healthy can Justin Smith be. If we have the Justin Smith that pushes Bushrod back into Drew Brees for a sack, then I think our chances are pretty decent.

If we had won the Seattle game, or at least played well, I would feel differently.

But Seattle just exposed us. Therefore, doubts linger...
Originally posted by Byisgod:
If we get Justin Smith back and if Jenkins steps-up then we have as good a shot as everyone else.

He has to start before he can step up
Share 49ersWebzone