LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 313 users in the forums

Does anyone still believe that we will win the SB this season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does anyone still believe that we will win the SB this season?

How about we catch "Lightning in a Bottle".....
There, I called it and you guys can save the compliments.....
Time to go out in this crazy Texas weather, drink a quart of Bud Light and chase 'em freaking Rays of Light.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by rondoman:
Originally posted by susweel:
Brady: Momentum doesn't carry over in NFL

FOXBORO -- The New York Giants lost five of their final eight regular-season games in 2011. And they won the Super Bowl. The Packers went 3-3 in their final six regular-season games in 2010. And they won the Super Bowl. The Saints lost their final three regular-season games in 2009. And they won the Super Bowl. The Cardinals went 2-4 in their final six regular-season games in 2008. And lost the Super Bowl on a miraculous last-minute drive by the Steelers. The Giants lost two of their last three regular-season games in 2007. And they won the Super Bowl. The Colts lost three of their final five regular-season games in 2006. They allowed 219, 275, 133, 191 and 150 yards on the ground in those games. And they won the Super Bowl.

http://www.csnne.com/baseball-boston-redsox/redsox-talk/brady-momentum-doesnt-carry-over-in-nfl?blockID=817337&feedID=10426

You know what all those teams had in common?

A QB well versed in their offense and not still learning.

couldnt of said it better myself.

Wanna know something that's even more sad. that out of 151 votes soo far, 60% feel that we dont have a chance of winning the SB. And i was gonna start a poll, but i wont, but how much u wanna bet about 90% of that 60% is probably about the QB change.
not worried about the QB change. Russell Wilson's 7th game at the 'stick was bad and he's never looked back since. Sunday night was Kaep's 7th game give or take a couple of halves. I'm more worried about the injuries and the level of play of our D.

worried about qb change---havent seen anything from kaepernick to suggest he is on a par with russell wilson
Originally posted by rondoman:
It's irrelevant when it comes to the way the league is setup and how you can build teams now. The salary cap/free agency system has changed the entire landscape. I am not saying that a great QB is overrated, just saying you can no longer build teams to last like you could in the 80's and 90's. Teams can still compete for championships over several seasons, but with large roster turnover, not like in the 80's and 90's when you could keep a team together for years and years.

You're right that it's absolutely harder to do than it was back then because of what you're siting. But, there are teams that are proving it can be done. And, yes, they're the exceptions, but that doesn't change the fact that they prove it can be done. Even in their own era, the Niners were an exception. Nobody ever had a string of 16 straight years with 10 or more wins in a season even with the old rules. In the new era, I think the Niners organization is learning how to do it. The agents are sure raving about how they get it done in their front office and they've been picking and retaining excellent talent. One explosive and elite QB and the Niners will be right in the mix again every year.
Yes! Its S.B. or bust for the next few years.Do we have the team to do it yes 9 Pro Blowers .Coming off the Pats win Rank #1 We go to the seahawks lose bad. I say 1 out of 2 is cool .This week were at home after two back to back hard road games . Come playoff time 100% all out . WE CAN DO IT !
It's hard to see it now. Last year I had a more confidence in our team. We've just been hit with so many injuries:
1. Kendall Hunter
2. Kyle Williams
3. Mario Manningham
4. Justin Smith
5. Parys Haralson (minor but still)

And to top it off we're going to enter the playoffs with effectively a redshirt freshman at QB who would have only played about half a season worth of games.

On a positive note, beating the Cardinals big should give us some momentum which is what the playoffs are all about.
Originally posted by Baldie:
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Originally posted by Jtninerfan210:
sdaddy101269, I agree with the offense portion of your post. Is that because we have suddenly become a strictly read option team, or because the coaches aren't throwing too much at Kaep? Based on the poor use of time outs recently it's hard to imagine that Kaep has a full grasp of the offense. Shoot who said that it usually takes about 2-3 years to fully understand the playbook, and suddenly we're to believe that the QB switch at midseason was the best thing to do. I can't see that one dimensional scheme working in the post season.

It seems to me as though Roman has gotten cute with the offense. Before Hunter and Williams got hurt we were rolling. If you recall Kaep ran the offense great against the the Bears and Saints, he audibled to different plays and was really comfortable in the offense. I think he's better with traditional play action passing the problem is we don't commit to the run like we used to. He can handle the offense just fine but it seems like Roman can't handle Kaep. I would like to see more two-back, split sets. I think that would cause a defense SO many issues with LMJ or Gore catching passes out of the backfield it would also slow down the pass rush. Vernon Davis with more curl routes would be great too. I will say this, our playccalling in the playoffs last year was much more creative than it was during the season which makes me think Harbaugh benched has something up his sleeve.

I agree. He couldn't unleash everything in the playbook. Gotta save some stuff for the playoffs. The LMJ with Gore in the backfield would make some defenses nuts. Won't even doubt there will be a play or two that involves jenkins now that he will be playing. Against AZ you can keep it simple, then get more creative in the playoffs.

The defense however NEEDS to play better than it has been the last couple of games. Justin Smith is clearly the engine of this defense.
I feel that the Chicago game was a perfect game to unleash Kaep because there was no game film on the game during meaningful game time, thus his huge performance. Once teams became wise by taking away the deep pass and making him "take what the D gives him underneath" things began to speed up for him. This is almost exactly what happened when Troy Smith was our starter for a couple games...boy he looked like a world beater and then BLAM he fell back down to reality. Give me solid consistency any day of the week over the flashy Jamarcus Russel type.

I'm not sure it's about not showing too much before the playoffs either. Everyone can agree that this last game was HUGE for the team and they wouldn't risk not winning for the sake of "not exposing their eveel master plan". You show different looks during live game situations to give opposing teams one more thing to worry about, and then you build on that like a chess match. I don't subscribe to this notion that you gain anything by holding secret playoff plays for the post season. I think that we're just seeing a watered down version of what was once a road grating running team. Rather than lining up and go balls to the wall smash mouth style, the powers that be chose to get into a finesse game...for the life of me I don't know why you go away from something that has proven to work the last year and a half. That's why the head coach gets paid the big bucks though right
#2 seed + Justin Smith = Super Bowl favorite
#2 seed without Justin = One of the best in the NFC

#3 seed + Justin Smith = One of the best in the NFC
#3 seed without Justin Smith = NFC Championship ceiling, No Super Bowl
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
It's hard to see it now. Last year I had a more confidence in our team. We've just been hit with so many injuries:
1. Kendall Hunter
2. Kyle Williams
3. Mario Manningham
4. Justin Smith
5. Parys Haralson (minor but still)

And to top it off we're going to enter the playoffs with effectively a redshirt freshman at QB who would have only played about half a season worth of games.

On a positive note, beating the Cardinals big should give us some momentum which is what the playoffs are all about.

No way at all.
looking at the Niners wins/ losses/tie

a bad QB--the Niners will win
a good QB--we beat Brees, Brady, Rogers--mainly because our offense dominated their defenses physically.
a mobile QB--Ponder, Wilson--our defense has problems--but Vikes/Seattle also have what else causes the Niners problems
a physical defense--seattle, NY Giants, Minnesota, Rams--all cause the Niners offense problems--they can take away the pass or the run ( or both) and dictate to the Niner offense.

Arizona also has a physical defense but a terrible QB situation.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Ok woolick, touche, but i did smile, because we just crossed that bridge of half full or half empty. When i made that it was a few hours back. Now it stands corrected. 55% feel we will not win the SB, and 44 thinks we will. It's actually a pretty good question, being that we have had soo many changes recently.

lol...It is an oddly worded poll that must have confused many that replied.

~ Can't win 3 in a row ever.
~ Can't win consistently on the road.
~ Tons of injuries piling up.
~ A young QB learning and going through his mistakes.
~ Lost the #2 seed now and probably won't get it back.

No way at all this team can win the Super Bowl.
Man, y'all are SO caught up in the moment, in the aftermath of last week's beatdown. We played in the two toughest venues in the NFL on consecutive weeks. Do y'all REALLY expect us to go out there each and every week of a five-month season and dominate??? We've beaten the Pack in their house, the Pats in their house. We'll be fine without Manningham. Really. Crabtree, Moss, Vernon, Delanie, AJ, Gore, LMJ, with Kaps arm and legs is already a daunting offense. The big loss is Justin Smith and his impact on our run defense, which may lead to openings in our pass defense. Either way, next man up...RJF.

No matter what, we'll kick the crap outta either the Vikes or Bears at home in round one, then, as the playoffs should be, we'll play a highly contested game against the Falcons or Pack in their house. We can win. No one wants to play against our defense when we bring it. And we will...
Of course we can beat anyone in the NFC and anyone in the NFC (playoffs) can defeat us come playoff time

But before the Justin Smith injury and us holding the #2 seed, I would have taken us 3 outta 4 versus any other team in the NFC. Vikings will put up a great fight and we still might get a functional Justin back.
Originally posted by Shanghai69er:
Man, y'all are SO caught up in the moment, in the aftermath of last week's beatdown. We played in the two toughest venues in the NFL on consecutive weeks. Do y'all REALLY expect us to go out there each and every week of a five-month season and dominate??? We've beaten the Pack in their house, the Pats in their house. We'll be fine without Manningham. Really. Crabtree, Moss, Vernon, Delanie, AJ, Gore, LMJ, with Kaps arm and legs is already a daunting offense. The big loss is Justin Smith and his impact on our run defense, which may lead to openings in our pass defense. Either way, next man up...RJF.

No matter what, we'll kick the crap outta either the Vikes or Bears at home in round one, then, as the playoffs should be, we'll play a highly contested game against the Falcons or Pack in their house. We can win. No one wants to play against our defense when we bring it. And we will...

Wish I could be as positive as you!!!
Originally posted by hofer36:
worried about qb change---havent seen anything from kaepernick to suggest he is on a par with russell wilson

Really? Because he's looked better his first 6 games than Russell Wilso had his first 6. Keep in mind that Kap is asked to do more offensively than Russell Wilson is asked to do.
Share 49ersWebzone