There are 212 users in the forums

Week 16: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So do we play seattle in the playoffs if we don't get the bye week, assuming green bay wins?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by richierichard:
So do we play seattle in the playoffs if we don't get the bye week, assuming green bay wins?

No as it stands, if GB wins we play Minnesota. Seattle plays Washington. If we win the wildcard we play GB in GB, which we've already done and won but GB will have a lot of film on us now.

If GB loses then we will play GB in SF or Washington in SF. Only way we play Seattle before the NFCCG would be if both the 5th seed(Seattle) and 6th seed advanced and we were the #2 seed.

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture

Playoff scenarios for us to clinch bye via MM @ CSNBA

http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/nfl-playoff-scenarios

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS (vs. Arizona)

San Francisco clinches NFC West division with:

1) SF win or tie OR

2) SEA loss or tie

San Francisco clinches a first-round bye with:

1) SF win + GB loss or tie OR

2) SF tie + GB loss
[ Edited by sfout on Dec 24, 2012 at 5:19 PM ]
I agree Marvin on Kaep, as long as he learns from his errors, experience can only help him. To me he seems a fast learner. The one thing I noticed yesterday was his hesitance on scrambling and he slid very quickly many a time. That is normal for a QB, but it has not been normal for Kaep until yesterday.

The defense, last year they stopped the run almost every game, they stopped it cold. This year no--teams run good enough on the Niners that the D has to play both the run and the pass honest--so the pass rush is a tad less this season. I am not sure if it is Parys Harralson missing the season--was he the difference or is it the D line not being as good this season? Aldon still learning?

The Niners have to stop the silly costly after the play is over personal fouls--Brocks 15 yards giving seattle the ball at the 35--just dumb, the Niners had to take the crowd out of the game, not feed the crowds intensity.

Seattle had a very good offensive game plan, they seemed to be able to get an open receiver--be it a WR, TE , RB, FB much better than the Niners were able to get open receivers. The Seattle short passing game was much better than the Niners. If I was Roman I would try to add in some of what Seattle does to the Niners offense.

I am very disappointed that AJ Jenkins is not playing, we really could use a supposedly fast player with good hands, but maybe he just isn't that good? What we are seeing this season is a huge impact by the 2012 draft class in the NFL , but the Niners are one of the exceptions, if Jenkins has the talent he really should have been in the mix.

The Niners not getting the play off on time---this has been the case since 2005--it is very frustrating. Last year it seemed to have been fixed, now it is back again.

Akers---I am not sure if the block was because it was a low kick or Akers just has no luck this season. Anyways we needed to score the TD, like above--Seattle seems to have great play calls on converting third downs or redzone--the Niners --this is a big trouble spot.

I think the Vikings will beat the Packers and the Niners still get the bye--crossing my fingers.
Originally posted by richierichard:

Chicago in San Francisco. Seattle is traveling to Washington most likely, assuming the Redskins don't lose their final game.
Lynch's first run TD was an indicator how the D would fare without Cowboy. The game set up as a perfect storm for the Niners, fatigue and the best home field advantage in football playing the most important parts. Wilson seemed to be playing with the D. He has no where near the arm of Kaep but he is so quick he's hard to get a beat on. Controlling his option right would significantly lower his productivity. This game was like a heavyweight fight, Seattle knocked us down early and the fight was over. Carroll likes to pounce and intimidate. Lastly, playing on a billiard surface makes Wilson doubly effective, let's see how he reacts on a slow grass surface on a rainy Candlestick day.
I hate Sherman as much as anyone, but it's not true that he was pissed at Harbaugh for switching him to CB. It was Sherman's idea.
[ Edited by kap2crab on Dec 24, 2012 at 6:21 PM ]
IMHO, going into the playoffs with a "wake-up call" is both humbling and advantageous. Denver, as good as they look, hasn't played a tough game or faced any kind of adversity since...when?...their game against the then-hot Bucs? The injuries ARE a concern, but we'll come out ON FIRE at home this week to wrap up the West, then we'll absolutely destroy anyone coming into the 'Stick for a playoff game. By that time, we'll at least have Vernon back. After that, anything can happen in the playoffs, but there isn't ANY team we can't beat in a one-and-done playoff game. We'll be fine, lads...
I don't think Kaep is all that fast. he takes a long time to get to top speed. he's a long strider.

as for the game....that was depressing, even worse was the table of idiot niner fans next to us who were cheering first downs and the td to make it 42-13 as if it was still a game. as if the loss wasn't depressing enough, watching these cornballs still pumped up and celebrating a score that made it 42-13 was rather pathetic
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
We were humiliated. Week 16 is not the time for CK to be having "learning experiences" when we want to make a Super Bowl run. This change should never have been made until next year. There's not a snowballs chance in Hades that we make it through back to back ferocious playoff crowds in Green Bay and Atlanta with Kaepernick at the helm. I just don't see it.

I know, it's all opinion, but that is my gut feeling. I love my team to death and it frustrates me like no other to have to sit here and feel like we made a mistake that is going to cost us at the very least a deep run into the post-season.

Thats what i've been saying since the switch. someone said that finally everyone accepted the switch, but thats what i think hasnt been accepted. which is why the back and forth.

Marv, even i say you do a good job of analyzying, but you too this time. lol. fell into the trap about What Alex would of or wouldnt of done. There is no way to tell that. However the only fact to look at is this.

Under Harbs, in Seattle or at home. Smith is 3-0 vs Seattle. noise and all, so honestly it's not soo far fetched to think that Smith may have had a good game. The noise, audibles, checks, all that Smith had done a great job with against Seattle.

Marv, since you are pretty real and answer pretty fair. Even tho we will ride or die with Kaep, and i have accepted that.

You can see why a lot of fans, reporters, columnists all feel that, it's a mistake to have to worry about a learning curve and growing pains this late in the season.

I mean yes we support the move, because we support our coach, but that still dont mean we have to be happy with it. And it's a substantial reason, to feel that we may miss the playoffs becasue of it.

Do we as true fans hope that hell no. But i gotta be real, i aint felt good about our team since the switch and thats a valid way to feel. IMHO

Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
We were humiliated. Week 16 is not the time for CK to be having "learning experiences" when we want to make a Super Bowl run. This change should never have been made until next year. There's not a snowballs chance in Hades that we make it through back to back ferocious playoff crowds in Green Bay and Atlanta with Kaepernick at the helm. I just don't see it.

I know, it's all opinion, but that is my gut feeling. I love my team to death and it frustrates me like no other to have to sit here and feel like we made a mistake that is going to cost us at the very least a deep run into the post-season.

Thats what i've been saying since the switch. someone said that finally everyone accepted the switch, but thats what i think hasnt been accepted. which is why the back and forth.

Marv, even i say you do a good job of analyzying, but you too this time. lol. fell into the trap about What Alex would of or wouldnt of done. There is no way to tell that. However the only fact to look at is this.

Under Harbs, in Seattle or at home. Smith is 3-0 vs Seattle. noise and all, so honestly it's not soo far fetched to think that Smith may have had a good game. The noise, audibles, checks, all that Smith had done a great job with against Seattle.

Marv, since you are pretty real and answer pretty fair. Even tho we will ride or die with Kaep, and i have accepted that.

You can see why a lot of fans, reporters, columnists all feel that, it's a mistake to have to worry about a learning curve and growing pains this late in the season.

I mean yes we support the move, because we support our coach, but that still dont mean we have to be happy with it. And it's a substantial reason, to feel that we may miss the playoffs becasue of it.

Do we as true fans hope that hell no. But i gotta be real, i aint felt good about our team since the switch and thats a valid way to feel. IMHO

Does Alex Sith or Colin Kaepernick block for kicks or play defense?
where can i re-watch and re-live the horror again..that arch49er hasn't posted it on his facebook page

anyone know where else it might be

THANKS ! Marvin enjoy reading your thread Happy X-MASS to all. I GOT FAITH GO 49ERS!
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I would understand this feeling if Kaep were replacing Joe Montana, but it's not like Alex is a pro bowl QB with a wealth of playoff experience. He was having a good year, but let's be real. If he can get 3 freakin points in the last 5 drives this team might already have 6 titles. The worst rating Kaep has had while learning is 72...which isn't all that far below Alex's CAREER rating. Alex also had a meltdown against the Giants and he's NEVER thrown 4 TDs in a game...let alone on the road in NE. Alex started this season 4-2. Kaep through 6 games? 4-2. Let's stop pretending that the "problem" here is Kaep.
Stop pretending? You cannot be serious. Kap was a HUGE part of the problem. Let's be real, he failed miserably.
Changing calls at line? Bad, real bad.
Not getting play off in time? Horrendous.
Accuracy on long balls? Overthrew several, leaving points on the field.
Reading defenses when he has all day in the pocket? Less than average, to be kind.
Accuracy overall? Barely above 50%.
3rd down efficiency? 3 of 11.
Averaging 30 yards rushing less per game since the switch.

I could go on and on. Come on dude, let's be real. Also, you place the blame on Smith for not winning the Superbowl last year, and make excuses for Kap for not losing this game. That's what I call NOT being real.

Nobody wants a switch, there can't be one, but we all want our QB to succeed. And we definitely don't need apologists for our most important position on offense. We need critical analysis.
Originally posted by mo_hawk:
As a hawks fan who was at the game and watched it again this morning on rewind, the 49ers just look like a tired team, and Kaepernick looked completely unready for a road game against a hot team in the league's loudest stadium. Not to boast or anything but I was at Candlestick in October for the Seahawks game, and there is just no comparison to how intense the crowd is there compared to the 12th man. Not saying niner fans are any less passionate, just the design and furor of the stadiums isn't the same. I didn't see it at the game but re-watching the broadcast, Kaepernick came off the field every time and the expression on his face was the kind of confusion I haven't seen in a while. I haven't heard the crowd that loud in a long time.

That being said, I think he's going to be a great QB, obviously as a rival I don't like him but I sure respect him and think the wilson v. kaepernick battles to come are going to be epic.

Back to the tired team though, I don't really buy that the 49ers were 'fatigued' from last weeks game like the OP implied, these are NFL athletes and I just can't see how playing a few more snaps one week would carry over that significantly to the next, it's not like it was a short week. but I do think that when you're playing at a high level for as long as the niners D has been doing it, eventually you're going to run out of juice, and at that point you can either completely fall off, or at least steady the ship and hang in there. They fell off last night. The frustration was evident.

Lastly, Russell Wilson gets it. He's not going to give away a game; if you beat him you're going to have to earn it. The recipe last night made earning it very hard.

Going to be fun seeing two teams from the NFC "worst" in the playoffs this year. Looks like the Rams aren't too far behind and if the Cardinals can find a QB before the window closes on their solid defense, its going to make for some good football to watch the next several seasons.

I'll respectfully disagree with you on the snaps making a difference. The Pats ran 92 snaps. Average is about 60. Those guys were dragging like I've never seen. 4 of those guys (Willis, Bowman, Whitner, Goldson) played every snap. Goldson and Bowman are also on coverage teams. They just never had their legs the entire game. They just were never "on".
They are going to be a lot more tired now since they have to play in the wildcard game.
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I would understand this feeling if Kaep were replacing Joe Montana, but it's not like Alex is a pro bowl QB with a wealth of playoff experience. He was having a good year, but let's be real. If he can get 3 freakin points in the last 5 drives this team might already have 6 titles. The worst rating Kaep has had while learning is 72...which isn't all that far below Alex's CAREER rating. Alex also had a meltdown against the Giants and he's NEVER thrown 4 TDs in a game...let alone on the road in NE. Alex started this season 4-2. Kaep through 6 games? 4-2. Let's stop pretending that the "problem" here is Kaep.
Stop pretending? You cannot be serious. Kap was a HUGE part of the problem. Let's be real, he failed miserably.
Changing calls at line? Bad, real bad.
Not getting play off in time? Horrendous.
Accuracy on long balls? Overthrew several, leaving points on the field.
Reading defenses when he has all day in the pocket? Less than average, to be kind.
Accuracy overall? Barely above 50%.
3rd down efficiency? 3 of 11.
Averaging 30 yards rushing less per game since the switch.

I could go on and on. Come on dude, let's be real. Also, you place the blame on Smith for not winning the Superbowl last year, and make excuses for Kap for not losing this game. That's what I call NOT being real.

Nobody wants a switch, there can't be one, but we all want our QB to succeed. And we definitely don't need apologists for our most important position on offense. We need critical analysis.

Right. And how well did Alex play against the Seahawks at HOME? How many points did the D give up that day? Does Kaep or Alex play defense? How would Alex have played in that game down 14 points with no running game. Right. He's always been so good in that situation in the past.

Please...this was NOT Kaeps fault. Did he have a great game? Of course not, but they allowed 42 freakin points and NONE of that was on short fields. It is WAY to much to ask of Smith OR Kaep to keep up with those points against that D in that building.
Share 49ersWebzone