There are 67 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Week 16: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

The worst thing about this game is a couple more guys got hurt. We are down the depth charts now and it's showing.

Even the versatility Harbaugh built into the team is not enough to get some folks off the field.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Correct. He was also I think a top 5 or top 10 pick.

As for your first point, all I'm saying as that the team needs to draft for needs it will have in a few years, not right away. The Hawks are a young bunch so they aren't going away any time soon. If the Niners want to be contenders long term, they need to find replacements for players that are getting long in the tooth.

Well absolutely, but based on what they've gotten from Jenkins, had they gone with a guy like Derek Wolfe instead, who's similar to Justin Smith in several ways, was chosen a few picks afterwards and has started the whole season for Denver, they'd likely be far better off right now, being able to sub in at DE regularly and keep guys fresh.

Yup. Really bad draft and off season moves this year compared to last.

Its like night and day.
Just a bad game well bet on fire come playoffs don't worry
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Its like night and day.

I don't know if I agree that it was a "really bad draft," but one thing is pretty certain. They've got a ton of picks for the next one and you can bet they'll package some of them to move up for a stud D lineman in the first round. I'll be very surprised if that doesn't happen.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Correct. He was also I think a top 5 or top 10 pick.

As for your first point, all I'm saying as that the team needs to draft for needs it will have in a few years, not right away. The Hawks are a young bunch so they aren't going away any time soon. If the Niners want to be contenders long term, they need to find replacements for players that are getting long in the tooth.

Well absolutely, but based on what they've gotten from Jenkins, had they gone with a guy like Derek Wolfe instead, who's similar to Justin Smith in several ways, was chosen a few picks afterwards and has started the whole season for Denver, they'd likely be far better off right now, being able to sub in at DE regularly and keep guys fresh.

Yes, but we are only thinking that because we see what's happens when Justin inst in there. Last year we saw what's happened in the NFCCG when they got way short on WRs. They reacted to that my adding to the position for now and the future so I can't blame them for that. I also think Jenkins will yet turn out to be a good player. This year we see that we need to start looking to replace Justin and I'm pretty sure they will set out to do so in the offseason.

I'm sure next year Justin will be back and we will have a weakness somewhere else and peeps will be saying that we needed a guy at THAT position and not a guy "for the future" to replace Justin. Hindsight is 20/20. Baalke can only react to what he perceives as the teams weaknesses RIGHT NOW. He wasn't wrong either as both Jenkins and James will be seeing playing time.
Originally posted by susweel:
Im not gonna over analyze this game Im just gonna say they wanted it more than our guys did.

exactly
in justion we trust
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Its like night and day.

I don't know if I agree that it was a "really bad draft," but one thing is pretty certain. They've got a ton of picks for the next one and you can bet they'll package some of them to move up for a stud D lineman in the first round. I'll be very surprised if that doesn't happen.

Well, only one player is guaranteed a roster spot that we drafted based on his play is James.

The other guys haven't stepped on the field. As i said, especially compared to last years draff:

Aldon - Beast
Kaep - Starting
Culliver - Starting soon
Hunter - Starter soon
Kilgore - Starter soon at center
Miller - Starter

compare that draft to this year.
Way too early to call it a really bad draft.

It wasn't. BUT it definitely could have been better.

LMJ will be excellent.

I'm a trenches guy, because I believe that's where the games are won. If the QB has time, he'll make throws. If the QB doesn't have time he proably won't. If the OLine opens holes - the run game works.

Our D gave up 72 points in 6 quarters. Those are the 6 Q's that Justin was out!

We need a better DLine rotation and play. RJF played about average for a guy coming off the pine. I'm completely unimpressed with Dobbs and Tukufu. FA & the draft will be the only way we'll do it.

Our Red Zone play-calling needs a lot of work.
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Its like night and day.

Yeah I don't buy the "bad draft" thing at all. These guys are not playing because 1) they were drafted for the future, 2) are hurt, or 3) were hurt when they were drafted so got them at lower pick than they should have to begin with. They also traded s number of picks for picks THIS year. Why? Because they weren't going to have that many spots for players to make the team. Push back those picks and improve your position in the draft. That's what the Pats did for years until they finally used those picks THIS year.

As for the Free Agents, I think they did pretty well. The had a weakness at WR and they filled it very cheaply with 2 players (Moss and Manninham). Jacobs wasn't great, but neither was Edwards last year. Most importantly, they are making these moves CHEAPLY and filling their needs SMARTLY. They didn't get players like Whitner and Rogers this year, but they didn't need them they have instead been resigning the players they need to like Rogers and Bowman. Hopefully, Goldson is next.
Yes, but the Niners were picking 7th. You can't expect that when selecting in the 20+ position on a team with few holes. The rooks also got hurt, we're drafted hurt, or the picks were traded for picks next draft. You have to look at the big picture.

Of course we didn't walk away with a premiere pass rusher and a QB of the future, but we also werent looking for them because we HAD them and were not in a position to make a splash. Jenkins will be a player. James IS a player. Looney will be a player. I have confidense that the players they pick with the picks they traded into this years draft will be players too.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

LMJ will be excellent.

I'm a trenches guy, because I believe that's where the games are won. If the QB has time, he'll make throws. If the QB doesn't have time he proably won't. If the OLine opens holes - the run game works.

We need a better DLine rotation and play. RJF played about average for a guy coming off the pine. I'm completely unimpressed with Dobbs and Tukufu. FA & the draft will be the only way we'll do it.

I'm a trenches guy too, but let's be fair. Baalke spent 2 picks in round 1 2 years ago in the trenches and he took an injured Looney this year to pay future dividends. This year they now have the RBs they need and a number of WRs, so I wouldn't be st all surprised to see them take a couple D-Linemen this year.
  • Happs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninergold:
The worst thing about this game is a couple more guys got hurt. We are down the depth charts now and it's showing.

Even the versatility Harbaugh built into the team is not enough to get some folks off the field.

It would help so much if the Vikings can win at home against GB and we get beat AZ without too much difficulty and rest some guys early in the game. That would give us 3 weeks from Yesterday to get healthy and rested. Also a home game win away from the NFCC. The NFCC could possibly be at home as well since I don't think Atlanta is as good as their record

The Vikings have to win to get into the playoffs. Win and they are in. They have a lot of incentive and have Peterson. I think they have a solid chance. C'mon Vikes!!!! So much rides on that Vikings GB game for us.
[ Edited by Happs on Dec 24, 2012 at 2:53 PM ]
The Vikings absolutely have a chance. They're at home and this is a must-win game for them.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

LMJ will be excellent.

I'm a trenches guy too, but let's be fair. Baalke spent 2 picks in round 1 2 years ago in the trenches and he took an injured Looney this year to pay future dividends. This year they now have the RBs they need and a number of WRs, so I wouldn't be st all surprised to see them take a couple D-Linemen this year.

God i hope so... Would love to get some quality D-line rotation to keep guys fresh...
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home