Looks like the Niners have virtually zero cap room for 2013. There will undoubtedly be lots of casualties as a result. Who should the Niners get rid of? Can we afford to keep anyone? Here are my thoughts:
Guys that should be cut or not re-signed after the season is over:
1. Alex Smith (obvious. He is expendable with Kaepernick at the helm)
2. David Akers (too expensive for a kicker. His current salary is based on last year's performance, which appears to have been a fluke).
3. Carlos Rogers (He has been solid for us but he is getting old and his performance has been declining. Cut him loose now or wait until old age REALLY catches up to him and he hurts us on the field).
4. Isaac Sopoaga (We need some younger, fresher, and cheaper blood on the defensive line. I like Sope but we gotta sacrifice somewhere)
5. Ted Ginn (WORTHLESS P.O.S. If it was up to me, Ginn would have already been cut)
A couple guys that I think we should resign:
1. Dashon Goldson obviously is one of the better safeties in the league and the Niners should try to resign him. I just dont want the Niners to break the bank for this guy. If he demands to be paid as the highest FS in the NFL, then let him walk. I like him but he is not on the level of Ed Reed or Polomalu and free safety is one of the easier positions to replace, unlike QB/OL/CB.
2. Paras Haralson: We need some quality depth at linebacker and Clark Haggans does NOT cut it. Also, Haralson was so solid against the run, maybe better than Aldon the Sack Specialist. People didnt appreciate him cuz he didnt put up the sack numbers unlike Aldon. Also, we have no idea whether Darius Fleming is good enough to play at this level since he has been injured all season.