LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

Mario Manningham has a Torn ACL and PCL

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Best part about Mario has been his influence on crabs and other WRs especially since all had a terrible time getting off the LOS. Mario put the shake, bake and snake on the defenders, and invariably got open. I know he helped coach up crbtre. Crabs now DOES get off LOS, usually unmolested and is now frequently open. Remember crabs last yr in N.O and giants games? Never open. Well , mario changed that, which makes me wonder what the heck we are keeping a WR coach for if he a)didn't realize our WRs weren't getting off LOS and b) didn't teach them how to shake and bake. I feel terrible for mario, a good guy who helped us immensely and was an incredible coach for WRs who couldn't get open...ie all of them. We will miss him. Unfortunately the pair of anter and posterior cruciates both being gone has a really low chance of seeing him back on gridiron. I hope he retires and can walk ok, and leave football behind...much as i enjoyed watching him and also I am grateful for how he helped us out. Incredibly bad joss, along with Kyle and Hunter. Wow and ouch.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows

More Harbaugh: He said he didn't think Mario Manningham (ACL) would be ready for the start of training camp.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Jcool:

More Harbaugh: He said he didn't think Mario Manningham (ACL) would be ready for the start of training camp.

that dude is pretty much done with us, we need some solid WRs baalke you better not f**k up this draft.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Jcool:

that dude is pretty much done with us, we need some solid WRs baalke you better not f**k up this draft.

Blows but that was a NASTY injury. And his game is all quickness and explosion off the LOS. So...yeah. I really like the dude but I predicted an injury settlement and to use that money elsewhere. It was only a 2-year contract.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Blows but that was a NASTY injury. And his game is all quickness and explosion off the LOS. So...yeah. I really like the dude but I predicted an injury settlement and to use that money elsewhere. It was only a 2-year contract.

Regardless as to which route they go, I'm still holding out hope for a huge recovery and for Mario to remain with the team. They only said he wouldn't be ready for the start of the season. It doesn't mean he won't be able to go at all.
Well, I think he is still in recovery; I do not really recall when he had his surgery. less that 2 months ago??? I hope he can get it together and produce.
  • dj43
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Regardless as to which route they go, I'm still holding out hope for a huge recovery and for Mario to remain with the team. They only said he wouldn't be ready for the start of the season. It doesn't mean he won't be able to go at all.

Given the lack of depth at WR the 49ers cannot afford to figure MM into the plans for next season. Hence I agree with NCommand; they will settle with him and release him. They cannot afford to hold onto his salary in the hope that he can come back at some point in the fall. Cap is too tight and the need is too great to wait and hope he makes a full recovery.
Cutting him saves over $2 million in cap space plus they'd still owe him about $1.5 million in guarantees for 2013 so it's not like they'd be leaving him out in the cold financially either. Wouldn't shock me one bit if he goes.

Me too. What I really liked about Mario was how reliable he was on almost every ball that came his way. I honestly cannot think of one ball that he dropped all season. I can understand why the Niners would let him go but I'd trust him coming back in full form than waiting for AJ to get going.

I keeping my fingers crossed that they'll hold on to MM.
Originally posted by YoungWifey:

Me too. What I really liked about Mario was how reliable he was on almost every ball that came his way. I honestly cannot think of one ball that he dropped all season. I can understand why the Niners would let him go but I'd trust him coming back in full form than waiting for AJ to get going.

I'd love a restructured extension of some sort. The guy was really coming into form before the injury. We have no proven depth behind Crab that can be productive at this point.

Crazy that were almost in the same spot as last season after WR was the focus.
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Feb 23, 2013 at 6:38 AM ]

Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by YoungWifey:

I'd love a restructured extension of some sort. The guy was really coming into form before the injury. We have no proven depth behind Crab that can be productive at this point.

Crazy that were almost in the same spot as last season after WR was the focus.

Ditto. Although if he has certain guarantees, I wonder how much we can save from the restructure? I saw some of the restructurings that were possible that AB83 put out there. So if we were to do a similar move (if possible) with Manningham where we reduce his 2013 salary to around $900K, the remaining 4 million could be converted to a signing bonus over 2-3 years along with the rest of his salary. It would give us 4 million extra in cap space and Manningham would be able to return the team when ready. Not being ready at the start of the season does not equal missing the 2013 season. He will be prepared to play at some point in the fall and I'd like him in the red and gold for our next Super Bowl run.
Mario's signing was a complete surprise to me last yr, and it worked out great until the injury. Let's hope TB/JH come up with another moss/manningham pair while we develop 2 WRs. Kyle was about there, and that also was a bitc*, but that is football. My suggestion is to reshuffle who we have, with crbs, kyle, vernon, LMJ all playing WR in some sets. Or at least, on 3rd and 7, at put LMJ out wide of Kap as option #3 behind LOS, and then let the OLB try to cover him. Won't happen and we should be using that as a go- to play frequently. Obviously our OC and HC haven't thot of that, but we could compete a lot better that way than with our current standard sets. That would give us a chance to rehabilitate AJ's brain and hands, pick up a 3rd or 4th rd and maybe a 7th rd WR, maybe another 2 UDFAs. We have the talent, it just isn't being used optimally...at least that is my take.
Manningham's probably done here. For one he can't stay healthy. Baalke and Harbaugh don't have the patience for injury prone players. Two if he can't be ready for training camp (and he won't, it's an ACL tear), he has no chance. Remember what happened to Shawntae Spencer, Braylon Edwards, and Brandon Jacobs. The Niners never looked back. Manningham's a very good WR but as a Niners fan I won't get my hopes up for him. We need to sign a veteran #2.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
With that extra 2nd round pick I wonder if we will pick a WR there. What we do at the WR position this offseason will say a lot about the rehab of Manningham and what TB and JH think of AJ Jenkins
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I keep forgetting about him and Kyle Williams. God damn we're freaking loaded.
Share 49ersWebzone