There are 194 users in the forums

did niners draft the wrong jenkins?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
for drafting AJ Jenkins in the first round? He can't even get activated for games much less make a contribution on the field. He left the defensive line as thin as paper. You don't draft a guy in the top 30 picks to sit on the sideline all year. That was a big blunder. Now this team is thin at defensive line,thin at WR and the field goal kicking has been pathetic. This team is in trouble and unless the Vikings beat Green Bay Sunday I fear it's over. I don't see us going back to Lambeau and winning again. Any thoughts?

Dumb? With the benefit of nearly a year you can make that judgement? Amazing what wisdom comes with hindsight.
digtek, Manningham didn't play the last 2 weeks before yesterdays game and Jenkins didn't make a catch. The kid just hasn't been good enough to get on the field and was a big reach at pick #30. Janoris Jenkins or Courtney Upshaw would've been much better picks.
digtek, Manningham didn't play the last 2 weeks before yesterdays game and Jenkins didn't make a catch. The kid just hasn't been good enough to get on the field and was a big reach at pick #30. Janoris Jenkins or Courtney Upshaw would've been much better picks.

Upshaw hasn't been awe-inspiring either.

Derek Wolfe, who has done well in Denver, would have been ideal and given the 49ers a solid 3-4 DE rotation.

Manningham was injured. Jenkins was not needed in the wins against NE and Dolphins. You are overreacting.
The worst part is that other than the guys who were injured, Jenkins is literally the only first rounder from the 2012 NFL draft that is either not starting or not seeing significant playing time for his team.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 24, 2012 at 7:22 AM ]
VaBeachNiner, In a game where we scored 41 points he didn't make a single catch. Anyone calling AJ Jenkins anything but a 1st round project is only kidding themselves. I'd like to know when the last time a WR was taken in the first torund and didn't have a single catch through week 16 of the regular season? That is a joke.
Yeah, it wasnt so bad earlier in the season, but Im on the fact that AJ hasnt been on the field more since hes been active a couple of games. The fact is though, that we did need a high round pick and went receiver on a skinny speedster with some upside over drafting dline. Remember, we never knew how Randy was going to work out.

The thing is, you may be wrong on two accounts.

First: Youre jumping to conclusions maybe a few weeks early to determine how AJ Jenkins is going to help this team. The rookie will definitely BE ON THE FIELD for the rest of this season and playoffs, so we'll get a good look at his ability. Cant judge him today.

Second: Baalke is doing a great job in evaluations and his view of the long term in the organization. He drafted for depth at a position of need, and now that we have a need to reach for our depth on the roster, wouldnt you rather have the choice of a first rounder at wr rather than a late round pick who may not even make the roster next year?

I realize we need some help at dline too, but hopefully our J. Smith will be back for the playoffs
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Yeah, it wasnt so bad earlier in the season, but Im on the fact that AJ hasnt been on the field more since hes been active a couple of games. The fact is though, that we did need a high round pick and went receiver on a skinny speedster with some upside over drafting dline. Remember, we never knew how Randy was going to work out.

First: Youre jumping to conclusions maybe a few weeks early to determine how AJ Jenkins is going to help this team. The rookie will definitely BE ON THE FIELD for the rest of this season and playoffs, so we'll get a good look at his ability. Cant judge him today.

Second: Baalke is doing a great job in evaluations and his view of the long term in the organization. He drafted for depth at a position of need, and now that we have a need to reach for our depth on the roster, wouldnt you rather have the choice of a first rounder at wr rather than a late round pick who may not even make the roster next year?

I realize we need some help at dline too, but hopefully our J. Smith will be back for the playoffs

Would rather not have needed to reach for depth on the DL, basically what has been carrying this team for the past 2 seasons..................
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:

Would rather not have needed to reach for depth on the DL, basically what has been carrying this team for the past 2 seasons..................

I agree. But now we need a receiver. Now we have a first round receiver to help us score points and win our division next week. Without knowing how injuries will stack up, I think Baalke was very wise now to have a first rounder ready to step in.

Plus, I think our coaching at the DLine had some weight on who we would draft. I mean c'mon, Tomsula is one helluva coach who HAS developed a seventh rounder and Tuakafu to help on the roster, so we re not in too dire of need right now at dline.
I HATED THE PICK WHEN IT WAS MADE I"LL BE HONEST!! Now I feel even worse about the pick. Dang wtf were they thinking?

Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I HATED THE PICK WHEN IT WAS MADE I"LL BE HONEST!! Now I feel even worse about the pick. Dang wtf were they thinking?

They were thinking we were good enough to let our 1rst round draft pick pretty much redshirt his first year....
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
They were thinking we were good enough to let our 1rst round draft pick pretty much redshirt his first year....

That turned out to be totally false. I just don't get it, its like in 2011, they had the Midas touch and EVERYTHING went well from drafting Aldon in the 1st to taking a DE in the 7th and turning him into a fullback. Free agent signing went well......and then this year........Jacobs, red-shirt Jenkins, the whole QB controversy...
I believe we got the right jenkins. This kid is solid we r gonna love him when srarts playn. I like the fact that harbaugh grooms his rookies bfore giving them gametime smart move so when you see out drafy picks hit the field I know theu r ready. I lookn 4ward 2 seeing jenkins cam johntrent robinson and darius fleming we need them to do well
Sorry some of that post was messed up. I'm lookn 4ward 2 seeing aj jenkins-cam johnson-trent robinson and darius fleming
Janoris Jenkins is talented, but he's a headcase.
Share 49ersWebzone