There are 140 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS GREEN BAY PACKERS GAMEDAY THREAD - PLAYOFFS- 2013 DIVISIONAL ROUND

Originally posted by respectfulpacker:
P Willis was on NFL Network a day ago, giving guarded answers, general media speak re: a plethora of questions/issues such as the defense the past two out of three games, Colin Kaepernick being quiet, but respected and a playmaker and missing Smith. Good stuff.

If I was a 49er fan though, I feel it would be natural to worry about the experience of Kaep. 8 games. Sure, 10td's, 3 int's in that time and has sat for a year learning but...

It would still worry me, regardless of the talent level. I don't know what it is, I mean, I know Kaepernick is a talented dude. He's got some scary skill BUT it still would worry me that a QB is playing in his first very high stake game.

Honest question, do you guys worry about Colin K for the upcoming game? It will never happen (suicide for you guys if it does) - but would you prefer Alex in this scenario?

Kap's gotta get experience in the playoffs somehow. I'd rather him have a whole season under his belt but it's not happening. No offense but I'd rather have him face the Packers D in his first playoff game than the Seahawks D. They can rely on Gore more this week and let Kap ease into a comfort level(hopefully.)I like the Packers and I always wish em luck except when they're playing the 9ers.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by TlSSER:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Nuff' Said

full speed going at each other: full speed marshawn lynch vs full speed patrick willis

who wins??

Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
awe little Aaron Rodgers in his Jerry Rice jersey on sports center

dangit, missed it.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Your quarterback is scary good, no doubt. But, our QB has mad skills, too. It's just a matter of who makes the less mistakes. Should be a good one to watch.

No doubt, Colin K is showing more potential than any of the rookie 3 this year, and it isn't hyperbole, it's a true sentiment from what I have seen over the course of 8 games.

The one thing that would worry me though, and it has when Rodgers had his first playoff game is, how will the kid handle the occasion?

Well, that day, even though we lost, we put up 45. Great way to announce yourself at crunch time. The one thing I will say is, if Kaep has a bad game it shouldn't be a baromiter for what he CAN achieve - 8 games is half a frigging season, our QB sat for 3 years, grew in his first year as a starter, grew more and went through adversity his second (50+ sacks, losing twice to Favre), before his first playoff game. I guess what I am saying is, hopefully the majority of the fanbase will be patient with Colin K because he has stunning potential.

I think we're all realists. The sky is the limit with Colin, maybe wishful thinking, but we're all hoping he can take us all on a majic carpet ride to #6.
Why are pundits picking the packers to win?

All evidence points to a comfortable victory by SF. AdvancedNFLStats.com published their game probabilities this morning in the New York Times, and they give the 49ers a 66% chance of winning -- that's 2nd highest this weekend. The other 52 players on the 49ers are better than the 52 non-startiing QBs on the Packers, and Kaepernick is no slouch. He's actually got a better QBR this season than Rodgers. I don't get it.

Please, someone explain to me how the Packers one-dimensional offense will score consistently on the 49ers. The 49ers only lose to extremely well-balanced teams that can keep our all-pro ILB tandem off-guard and force them to 'cheat run' a little bit. With a pass-happy attack like Green Bay's, the 49ers will stay in their 2-4-5 Nickel package all game, just like they did against the Packers earlier in the season. Rodgers will have to fight nickel coverage all game.

So, unless Kaepernick has an awful game or something, the 49ers should take care of business

Pwin GAME Pwin
0.22 Baltimore at Denver 0.78
0.34 Green Bay at San Francisco 0.66
0.51 Seattle at Atlanta 0.49
0.42 Houston at New England 0.58

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/
Originally posted by WINiner:
Aaron is a stud no doubt, but look at the season and you will see the Niners play especially well against teams with "elite" qb's. Don't get me wrong, I am nervous as hell especially living 30 min south of GB and working with a building full of packer fans, but if both teams play the way they are capable the Niners win. Just far and away far more well rounded team.

The Packers fortunes rest 100% on Aaron's shoulders. He has a good game they have a chance of winning, he doesn't and they have no chance of winning. QB and WR is GB's strengths and the one is worthless without the other. The D is soft, the run game is soft, the special teams are average.

Niners have flaws no doubt, just far fewer imo, and not enough for Aaron to make up the slack between our D's/rb's/st's.

I think the Niners win 31-28 in a game that isn't as close as the score indicates.

Here's to a safe and injury free game. Will we see a FG? Lol I am not sure either of our teams will make one if we try
No denying that across the board, the Niners have the better personnel when taking all into consideration.

The one true sentiment is though, that our skill players on offense can quickly turn a game on it's head regardless of clock control. The eight point differential didn't tell the story in the 1st game, because, based on the play of the game, it felt like we were blown out.

Teams with a better talent level than ours fall to us, simply because two stunning quarters and we can put up 35 and put the game far out of reach. I have said for a while, the first 20 minutes will set the town for the rest of the game. If Rodgers and co struggle to move the ball, and he eats turf often and drives stall due to dumb penalties, holding, false starts from the noise etc. I will have no faith that we can win the game. If however, we get the ball rolling early, I feel it will be a case of "Uh oh, they pissed him off."
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Why are pundits picking the packers to win?

All evidence points to a comfortable victory by SF. AdvancedNFLStats.com published their game probabilities this morning in the New York Times, and they give the 49ers a 66% chance of winning -- that's 2nd highest this weekend. The other 52 players on the 49ers are better than the 52 non-startiing QBs on the Packers, and Kaepernick is no slouch. He's actually got a better QBR this season than Rodgers. I don't get it.

Please, someone explain to me how the Packers one-dimensional offense will score consistently on the 49ers. The 49ers only lose to extremely well-balanced teams that can keep our all-pro ILB tandem off-guard and force them to 'cheat run' a little bit. With a pass-happy attack like Green Bay's, the 49ers will stay in their 2-4-5 Nickel package all game, just like they did against the Packers earlier in the season. Rodgers will have to fight nickel coverage all game.

So, unless Kaepernick has an awful game or something, the 49ers should take care of business

Pwin GAME Pwin
0.22 Baltimore at Denver 0.78
0.34 Green Bay at San Francisco 0.66
0.51 Seattle at Atlanta 0.49
0.42 Houston at New England 0.58

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/

Because the statistics doesn't reflect Aaron Rodgers momentum, it doesn't reflect Justin Smith's injury and it doesn't account for momentum. I hope you are right, though. When the other team has the better QB they are usually favored; I know I feel more nervous for the 49ers in this game because Rodgers is the single biggest difference maker on the field Saturday.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Jan 10, 2013 at 7:46 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
I think we're all realists. The sky is the limit with Colin, maybe wishful thinking, but we're all hoping he can take us all on a majic carpet ride to #6.

Well, for obvious reasons, I hope not (this season) BUT

I feel his time will come. The Niners program has come on SO DAMN much in the past 3 years. More smart drafts, good cap management etc. and the Niners will be perennial contenders for Colin K/Harbaugh's tenure.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Because the statistics doesn't reflect Aaron Rodgers momentum, it doesn't reflect Justin Smith's injury and it doesn't account for momentum. I hope you are right, though. When the other team has the better QB they are usually favored; I know I feel more nervous for the 49ers in this game because Rodgers is the single biggest difference maker on the field Saturday.

There's no such thing as momentum
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Fame
Rodgers exp. vs Kaep's 1st playoff game

Rodgers 1st playoff game
Lost to old man Warner's Cardinals 51-45

What helps Kaep the most is the 9ers D
If they don't turn the ball over they should win
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Rodgers exp. vs Kaep's 1st playoff game

Rodgers 1st playoff game
Lost to old man Warner's Cardinals 51-45

What helps Kaep the most is the 9ers D
If they don't turn the ball over they should win

Aaron Rodgers with no o-line, no running game, and a questionable defense vs the 49ers...
The media forgets that these "elite" QBs can be stopped with good, sound, defensive gameplans and execution.

To them, Aaron Rodgers is this undeniable, unstoppable force.
"The other 52 players on the 49ers are better than the 52 non-startiing QBs on the Packers, and Kaepernick is no slouch. He's actually got a better QBR this season than Rodgers. I don't get it"

Simply, not true. The majority, yes, as individuals BUT, there are so many variables. As the fellow up there said, momentum, missing pieces, having off days etc.

And the shtick about Kaepernick's rating is a non factor. Elite QB's have done it for years, not an eight game stretch. Rodgers is the career leader in QBR. Kaepernick doesn't even qualify yet.

I agree with Elite QB fetishism though :- I have to listen to our QB get slobbered over even though we have glaring issues elsewhere. The one thing I will say though, is that when our QB is in sync with 5 viable targets on almost every play, even elite defenses cannot do jack. It doesn't happen too often these days though :-)
Originally posted by Leathaface:
The media forgets that these "elite" QBs can be stopped with good, sound, defensive gameplans and execution.

To them, Aaron Rodgers is this undeniable, unstoppable force.

You know, I would buy the 'elite QB' a little more if we had a mediocre QB with a great defense. Let's say a Christian Ponder or Andy Dalton or something like that. But the 49er passing attack is pretty impressive, that's why the argument is bunk
"The other 52 players on the 49ers are better than the 52 non-startiing QBs on the Packers, and Kaepernick is no slouch. He's actually got a better QBR this season than Rodgers. I don't get it"

Simply, not true. The majority, yes, as individuals BUT, there are so many variables. As the fellow up there said, momentum, missing pieces, having off days etc.

And the shtick about Kaepernick's rating is a non factor. Elite QB's have done it for years, not an eight game stretch. Rodgers is the career leader in QBR. Kaepernick doesn't even qualify yet.

I agree with Elite QB fetishism though :- I have to listen to our QB get slobbered over even though we have glaring issues elsewhere. The one thing I will say though, is that when our QB is in sync with 5 viable targets on almost every play, even elite defenses cannot do jack. It doesn't happen too often these days though :-)

The 49ers can play nickel and still stop the Packer run game. If you can play run defense out of the nickel, I don't really see how you can lose...