Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Gore or Watters?

Gore or Watters?

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Ricky had much more talent, but Frank, is Frank! Ricky is "for who for what?"

Ricky's talent, and Franks heart!= World Beater!

No way.

Ricky was BIGGER and had better hands....

but Frank had more talent.

In high school, he ran for 2953 yards and 34 TDs....

...in one season.

Frank would have been a top 10 pick has he not ripped up both knees.

Ricky was more dynamic, a big play guy, with great hands, he could shake you or run you over, if he had half the head and heart of Frank Gore, he would be in the hall of fame.

The reality is guys with massive talent like Ricky come along more frequently than guys with great heart and determination like Frank. Frank has talent don't get me wrong, but he is not the tastes, or the shiftiest, or even the most powerful back in the NFL.

Frank's greatest natural talent is his vision, and patience, these attributes with Franks commitment are why I would rather have him than a guy like Ricky Watters.

Could you imagine Frank saying "For who for what?" I sure as hell can't.

Agree. If Ricky had Frank's mentality, he would have been great. He was a legit RB with WR ability.
1994 Super Bowl year Watters carried the ball 239 times for 877 yards and caught 66 passes for 719 yards. At the age of 25 he left the 49ers and went on to have 6 straight 1000 yard rushing seasons. It's not a reach to say we might've won a few more if he stayed. That being said, I'd take Frank, hands down.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
1994 Super Bowl year Watters carried the ball 239 times for 877 yards and caught 66 passes for 719 yards. At the age of 25 he left the 49ers and went on to have 6 straight 1000 yard rushing seasons. It's not a reach to say we might've won a few more if he stayed. That being said, I'd take Frank, hands down.

Watters, and Floyd, what might have been if we kept them together!
I'd take Frank over any 49er RB in team history.
gore
Can't answer that one! Ricky is one of my all time favorites, but Gore has proven to be one of the best 49ers ever. I love them both!

No way.

...in one season.

Ricky was more dynamic, a big play guy, with great hands, he could shake you or run you over, if he had half the head and heart of Frank Gore, he would be in the hall of fame.

The reality is guys with massive talent like Ricky come along more frequently than guys with great heart and determination like Frank. Frank has talent don't get me wrong, but he is not the tastes, or the shiftiest, or even the most powerful back in the NFL.

Frank's greatest natural talent is his vision, and patience, these attributes with Franks commitment are why I would rather have him than a guy like Ricky Watters.

Sorry. Not buying...and understand, I still have an old Ricky Watters Jersey in my closet.

Ricky was a very good player, but he's not sniffing Frank Gore's status.

Ricky Averaged less than 4 yards a carry FIVE TIMES in his career. Yes...bad teams....but Franks WORST season was 4.2 yards per carry. For his career is .5 higher. Watters had 6 straight 1000 yard seasons, but he AVERAGED 316 carries per season. Frank averaged 264 carries in his 5 1000 yards seasons (before this one..his 6th). Frank was over 300 carries only ONCE...and he averaged 5.4 yards per carry. Ricky got 4.9 as a rookie but the best he ever got after that was 4.5.

Yes...Ricky was versatile, but maybe we need to define "talent". I don't define it by straight line speed or size.

Ricky has Frank beat in those two areas as well as receiving...

But Frank is SOOOOOOOO much better as a pure runner. Vision. Power, Decisiveness. Explosion. Determination. Thaose are all parts of "talent.

Again. Not Close.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM ]
Sorry. Not buying...and understand, I still have an old Ricky Watters Jersey in my closet.

Ricky Averaged less than 4 yards a carry FIVE TIMES in his career. Yes...bad teams....but Franks WORST season was 4.2 yards per carry. For his career is .5 higher. Watters had 6 straight 1000 yard seasons, but he AVERAGED 316 carries per season. Frank averaged 264 carries in his 5 1000 yards seasons (before this one..his 6th). Frank was over 300 carries only ONCE...and he averaged 5.4 yards per carry. Ricky got 4.9 as a rookie but the best he ever got after that was 4.5.

Yes...Ricky was versatile, but maybe we need to define "talent". I don't define it by straight line speed or size.

But Frank is SOOOOOOOO much better as a pure runner. Vision. Power, Decisiveness. Explosion. Determination. Thaose are all parts of "talent.

Again. Not Close.

/thread
If you had included Garrison Hearst, you would have nailed the top 3 RBs for the past 30 years.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
If you had included Garrison Hearst, you would have nailed the top 3 RBs for the past 30 years.

Still have his jersey in my closet too.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 21, 2012 at 4:19 PM ]

No way.

...in one season.

Again. Not Close.

gore would of gotten 7 straight 1000 yard seasons if he didn't break his hip in 2010.

Also, he's hand multiple blown out knees and he still produces. People around the league, players, analysts and coaches, all have a ton of respect for Gore.

That might get him in the HOF if we can win him a ring or two.
Ricky was a tremendous pass catcher and effective as a runner, but Frank beats him hands down. And Frank Gore before the knees surgeries was more talented as well.

No way.

...in one season.

Again. Not Close.

I think you have to consider style of offenses. Ricky makes the 90's SF offense better than Frank does. Frank makes the offense in the last 7 years better than Ricky does.

HOWEVER, if we end up passing more and keep defenses on their heals, then Ricky would also be more effective in Harbaugh's offense. Imagine, Ricky shifting to WR and being a legit threat.

Ricky is more to dangerous defenses and puts a team in position to blow defenses out. Frank is dangerous but does not put the offense in a positions to man-handle defenses to keep them unbalanced.

Remember, this offense was not as versatile before Kendall Hunter (an trait Watters had) came in.
[ Edited by Joecool on Dec 21, 2012 at 5:42 PM ]
Gore, without a doubt.

Watters had the talent be our greatest RB, but he was a headcase and left via FA only after a few years. Had he stayed and kept his ego in check, he would probably be a HOFer.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Dec 21, 2012 at 5:42 PM ]
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I'd take Frank over any 49er RB in team history.

This