There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Niners morphing into offensive team

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Amir:
i will have to see alot more of what i saw in the first half in the pats game before i can make this statement. as you know our offense was not good vs the rams and for most of the miami game. lets all not get to carried away with sunday. we played great offensive football for a half and then not so much after that. Now this has nothing to do with coaching, play calling etc. our defense is still the head of this rattlesnake. can we actually put four good quarters of offensive football together before we start saying our team is now an offensive team. in my opinion our offense has to be taken seriously but as we only seem to play two good quarters, it can not be "feared" , not just yet

we had 24 points in the second half. if we didnt play so conservative, we would have done more damage.
like i said, WHATEVER the reason was for the poor offensive vs the rams and dolphins and the second half vs the pats. i need to see alot more before i proclaim us to have an elite offense. i have to see good pass protection on a consistent basis, i have to see a massive cutdown on penalities. I am just saying,, please lets not get to carried away with the first half of the pats game because we have seen this offense go the other way to

Gotta agree with you here. Always need to get better and I am disappointed we are not putting together a full 60 minutes of domination.

s**t! The SEA game is our 3rd game after 2 wins.

We suck every third game!
Originally posted by Marvin49:
There was this team awhile back that had a really good D and and a pretty good offense.

The lost their starting QB and replaced him with this guy on their bench that nobody had ever heard of.

Once he got the job, he never let it go. He was something of a "game manager" to start and the D and special teams is really what won them their games. They won a Super Bowl in his first year as a starter.

Something happened tho...the balance swung the other way entirely. Several year later that same guy was leading the most prolific offense in the history of the NFL and was being called the best QB ever.

That guys name was Tom Brady.

I'm not saying Kaep is Brady. Lets make that clear. My point is that these kinds of shifts happen quicker than you think. Brady went from a Game Manager to an elite QB fairly quickly.

Bradys best QB rating before 2007 was 92.3. Then in 2007 he just went freakin' NUTS and has been Tom freakin' Brady ever since. He had never thrown THIRTY TDs before he threw FIFTY in 2007. Change happens QUICKLY.

BTW, Kaep is playing MUCH better than Tom did in his first season. Tom finished that season with 18TDs, 12 INTs, and an 86.5 rating. He also won the Super Bowl.
well,, you still must protect him and while i agree with axe, i think the o line needs work to. we need a replacement soon for our aging center, staley needs someone to at least compete with him because I do not think he is a pro bowler. our pass protection sucked last year and overall it has been less than average thsi year and the only thing they did to fix it was to draft a kid with a busted food

Yes...they need to protect better. I'd submit tho that this line from a talent perspective is better than ANY line that Bradys ever had. I think Staley is better than freakin' Nate Solder!! They just need to work it out. I don;t think it's a personel issue, but that's just my opinion.

As for Center, I think Kilgore will replace Goodwin in the next few years.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Next year's first round pick will be a defensive player. Book it.

I'm thinking D line.

Wouldn't be a bit surprised if our first three picks are DE, OLD and NT.

I'm thinking D line.

Well, it obviously depends on who's there, but I agree with you.

They don't NEED anything in terms of looking for a starter. They need to look at replacing aging vets down the line...Just like the Jenkins and James pics this year.

So...whos getting long in the tooth? Justin Smith. Carlos Rogers. David Akers.

Other players on the roster already have their heir appearant, but that doesn't preclude a pick at those positions....

Goodwin (Kilgore)
Gore (Hunter, James)
Moss (Jenkins)

I'd say that you're right....a 3-4 DE may be the biggest need on the team right now.

I wouldn't be surprised tho to see them trade a bunch of their pics again this year for pics next year. Every time you do that, those pics tend to go up a round....so you start trading a 4th for a 3rd, then a 3rd for a 2nd....so waiting 2 years when you have few needs and a ton of pics can give you great options when you really do need those picks to pan out.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM ]
Originally posted by pete98146:

I'm thinking D line.

Justin Smith is getting old and we can't expect Brooks and Aldon to play 16 games every year like we have.
we should definitely draft a DE or OLB in the first 2 rounds.

If were going to draft any position on offense early maybe we'd draft center, were kinda set everywhere else.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Yes...they need to protect better. I'd submit tho that this line from a talent perspective is better than ANY line that Bradys ever had. I think Staley is better than freakin' Nate Solder!! They just need to work it out. I don;t think it's a personel issue, but that's just my opinion.

you may be right with kilgore,, but staley really makes me mad at times. it was nice to have the vet davis go in there and not hurt us when we lost our nice young guard sunday
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Originally posted by pete98146:

I'm thinking D line.

Justin Smith is getting old and we can't expect Brooks and Aldon to play 16 games every year like we have.
we should definitely draft a DE or OLB in the first 2 rounds.

If were going to draft any position on offense early maybe we'd draft center, were kinda set everywhere else.

Well, to be fair...they took 2 OLBs THIS year in Fleming and Cameron....they just both got hurt along with Paris Haralson. They may be OK there when they get everyone back, but it wouldn't surprise me if they drafted an OLB or 2.

you may be right with kilgore,, but staley really makes me mad at times. it was nice to have the vet davis go in there and not hurt us when we lost our nice young guard sunday

Thats funny.

I had the exact opposite reaction when Davis went in. He played well, but I was scared he was gonna get Kaep killed when he went in. He's just a fraction of his former self. He's SLOW off the ball.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 21, 2012 at 11:00 AM ]
2 years transition to a MUCH better offense that has to be reckoned with.

Defense wins championships.

We need to dominate on both sides of the ball.
i think harbaugh started building this team for offense when he drafted kap. from the looks of it it seems like he expected kap to take a little longer to develop an stay with alex for awhile but looks like kap is ready at lweast so far hopefully hes just as good in the playoffs. i think the dead give away that were building a offensive beast is drafting aj and lamichael in the first 2 rounds this year. we needed a young wr an i think aj is perfect for what we need even tho we need one more big tall wr in my opinion. but we didnt necessarily need a rb in the 2nd round. everyone freaked out when we used a 2nd rounder on a rb they were sayin o we still got gore an we just drafted kendall. but our offense was very weak last year an has been very weak for many years...the previous coaches built around the defense an that was about it. i think baalke n harbaugh saw the same thing everyone else in college saw, one of the best playmakers in the FBS sitting there un drafted late int he 2nd round. how he made it that far il never know but the niners are smart for grabbin him. were a running team its going to help us tremendously to have this many rbs to rotate an pick from for starters. our d is built to last an they will be around for awhile so all we really need to do now is keep upgrading our offense our first 2 picks this year did exactly that. they may not have played that much yet but having starters that are better than a great 1st an 2nd rounder is a good thing. we can afford to let them learn from teammates some of the best at their positions an work them in as we need to. we dont need to big stats or big offensive rankings we just need to win an get the playmakers to help us win thats what these 2 do. AJ will get his chance an will be a great wr i cant wait to see him when he starts playin but lamichael is already contributing in his first year coming from a spread offense an having great rbs in front of him to compete against. i think both these guys are gonna ball out an lamichael already is only after playin a couple games
Well yes it helps to finally have a QB with a full skill set to build around.
Originally posted by susweel:
Well yes it helps to finally have a QB with a full skill set to build around.

...wow.

Its so weird to see you be all positive and stuff in regards to a 49er QB....

....maybe the world IS about to and....
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Thats funny.

I had the exact opposite reaction when Davis went in. He played well, but I was scared he was gonna get Kaep killed when he went in. He's just a fraction of his former self. He's SLOW off the ball.
hey,, you are probably right,,, i do not pay that close attention to those details plus i know nothing about how to play the position well.. i just know when it is being played poorly
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
yeah exactly. i gave the example of lets say Smith and Kaep both threw for 250 yds. But Smith only has two throws over 20 yds and more YAC and Kaep has 5 passes over 20 and less. Doesnt mean either QB is worse or better, but the same, that both give the same result a W.

This team goes thru Gore, and thats no secret. Teams still dont fear Kaep, they still fear Gore. And thats not a knock on him, just the way it is.

Defense is still playing lights out, and actually since Kaep has been under center, it seemed like they have not only gotten more turnovers, but have scored for TD's more that factor into the score.

So new QB, besides the run yardage, the passing yardage is almost the same.

Btw, it is funny tho that we said how Kaep has scored the most rushing Td's, run yardage or sumthing more than any niner in history which is cool. But it seemed that some forgot that Smith and Co, scored the most points (or yards, i forget) in 49er history, better than Montana and Young, which is pretty cool too.

So yeah Kaep is 4-1, and aint gonna knock how he got there, but your kidding yourself if you think teams fear him yet. If anything i think it's the opposite. I think teams are gonna gun for him, because he's only played 5 games. Now he could torch them, of course. But that still doesnt take the place of teams not fearing him.

They may one day, just dont think right now.

teams dont fear kaepernicks ability?? idk about that, players dont have to play a whole season to come in an make a statement or be feared. kap has made a statement already with what hes done especially against chiacgo an new england. if teams didnt fear our qb they wouldnt go for what 7 or 8 4th down conversions like the pats did just to stay in the game an keep the other qb off the field. kap can do everything alex couldnt and more teams are realizing that now, belichik realized it last sunday. when a qb can run in TDs no problem an sling the ball at 60 mph, teams in the league are going to fear him whether hes a rookie with 0 starts or a vet with 100 starts
We need help on both sides of the line. But, I believe we will go offense more next year in the draft our 1st pick will be defense....