There are 58 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Niners morphing into offensive team

When Kaepernick was declared the official full-time starter, the Niners began their gradual transformation from a defense-focused team into more of an offensive team. Dont get me wrong. The Niners biggest strength RIGHT NOW is still their defense by far just based on the current personnel (mostly left over from prior regime). But you watch over the next few seasons Harbaugh (who is an offensive guy, former quarterback) will focus most of the top draft picks on the offensive side of the football. He will make a priority to surround Kaepernick (assuming he become the Franchise QB) with lots of weapons and good O-line.
One of the consquences of focusing on offense is that the defense will probably get a bit worse and not be nearly as dominant as the last couple years. I think it will still be solid but not great as time goes on under Harbaugh.

In the long run, I think this will be a good thing for the Niners and their fans. The last time a defensive team won the Super Bowl was 2002 I think. The Jon Gruden Bucs. Unfortunately, the NFL has made it unfairly tilted towards the offense with its new rules.

I was just wondering how other fans feel about this coming transformation and whether they prefer a defensive or offensive focused team.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,202
I've been wanting us to do that all along. It's never made sense to me to prioritize defense and the running game when the rules are so slanted toward the passing game. We've seen how even our D can be eviscerated by the elite passers. I don't see Harbaugh changing much, though. Even when he had Luck, he ran it a ton. Our OL is built for the run and very weak in pass protection. Kaep isn't even allowed to throw as much as Alex was (24 attempts a game vs. Alex's 26 a game - in total we've passed less than 30 other teams despite having Pro Bowl level QB play).
Well, if Jim keeps up with the read option crap our O will not develop much past were it is now.

He needs to scrap that and develope the WCO to its fullest.

If he keeps the read option and Kap gets knocked around and gets a concussion or two what then? Alex will be gone so then what? Its too cute by half as far as I'm concerned and opposing coachs will start taking shots at Kap with or without the dam ball on those plays and there will be nothing we can do about it.
You gotta score more than your opponent but somebody still has to stop the other to win the game. I just want an offense as good as our defense or should I say a good, well-balanced team and I want to win this division every single year
Originally posted by rk1642:
Well, if Jim keeps up with the read option crap our O will not develop much past were it is now.

He needs to scrap that and develope the WCO to its fullest.

If he keeps the read option and Kap gets knocked around and gets a concussion or two what then? Alex will be gone so then what? Its too cute by half as far as I'm concerned and opposing coachs will start taking shots at Kap with or without the dam ball on those plays and there will be nothing we can do about it.

Yes we need to pass more and let the RBs run the ball off read option mostly and not Kaep. Kaep should be on the move with passing in mind and running when there is open real estate only. No need to play tailback 15 snaps a game. I think we are getting away from that a bit judging by last game
Originally posted by Carhanu21:
When Kaepernick was declared the official full-time starter, the Niners began their gradual transformation from a defense-focused team into more of an offensive team. Dont get me wrong. The Niners biggest strength RIGHT NOW is still their defense by far just based on the current personnel (mostly left over from prior regime). But you watch over the next few seasons Harbaugh (who is an offensive guy, former quarterback) will focus most of the top draft picks on the offensive side of the football. He will make a priority to surround Kaepernick (assuming he become the Franchise QB) with lots of weapons and good O-line.
One of the consquences of focusing on offense is that the defense will probably get a bit worse and not be nearly as dominant as the last couple years. I think it will still be solid but not great as time goes on under Harbaugh.

In the long run, I think this will be a good thing for the Niners and their fans. The last time a defensive team won the Super Bowl was 2002 I think. The Jon Gruden Bucs. Unfortunately, the NFL has made it unfairly tilted towards the offense with its new rules.

I was just wondering how other fans feel about this coming transformation and whether they prefer a defensive or offensive focused team.

The current Niners are starting to look a lot like the Dynasty Niners. Quick strike offense and bend don't break defense with bone rattling tacklers. As for scraping the option might not be a good idea. The NFL is becoming a dual threat QB league. In the past the option was not viable because the running QBs could not throw, or at least throw at an elite level. Maybe Steve Young being the exception, but even Steve could not run like today's dual threat QBs. But now you have guys who can run like Barry Sanders and throw like Joe Montana. So the option is the next step in the NFL.
our D is the star. Offense is supporting cast.
The offense can now be feared
offensive numbers are the same
The Stats are the same. I wouldn't say we are a morphing into an offensive team. I think we are a more dangerous and more difficult team to plan against. The numbers don't necessary show the entire story of the actual capabilities of our offense now.
Yes - we are morphing into an offensive team. Wait until next year -- it will be even more pronounced.
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
offensive numbers are the same

yeah exactly. i gave the example of lets say Smith and Kaep both threw for 250 yds. But Smith only has two throws over 20 yds and more YAC and Kaep has 5 passes over 20 and less. Doesnt mean either QB is worse or better, but the same, that both give the same result a W.

This team goes thru Gore, and thats no secret. Teams still dont fear Kaep, they still fear Gore. And thats not a knock on him, just the way it is.

Defense is still playing lights out, and actually since Kaep has been under center, it seemed like they have not only gotten more turnovers, but have scored for TD's more that factor into the score.

So new QB, besides the run yardage, the passing yardage is almost the same.

Btw, it is funny tho that we said how Kaep has scored the most rushing Td's, run yardage or sumthing more than any niner in history which is cool. But it seemed that some forgot that Smith and Co, scored the most points (or yards, i forget) in 49er history, better than Montana and Young, which is pretty cool too.

So yeah Kaep is 4-1, and aint gonna knock how he got there, but your kidding yourself if you think teams fear him yet. If anything i think it's the opposite. I think teams are gonna gun for him, because he's only played 5 games. Now he could torch them, of course. But that still doesnt take the place of teams not fearing him.

They may one day, just dont think right now.
[ Edited by Jersey9er on Dec 21, 2012 at 9:11 AM ]
  • Amir
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,877
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
offensive numbers are the same

for now. that'll keep changing. baleed dat.
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
offensive numbers are the same

Yes...with a 2nd year QB but we are more dangerous. Imagine what he will do with a full offseason as the starter and chemistry with his WR's...
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
offensive numbers are the same

Yes...with a 2nd year QB but we are more dangerous. Imagine what he will do with a full offseason as the starter and chemistry with his WR's...
Yes. The best is still ahead!