LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 221 users in the forums

Marvin49's Week 15: Thoughts after rewatching the game....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Marv

I totally agree that we need to have a killer instinct. The 49ers can't "win the half" and expect teams to just give up and wait for them to make mistakes. They want to win as much as we do. Pile up so many points where it makes it impossible to win. Rest players. Finish off games early. The offense could have created a situation where Justin doesn't need to play the 2nd half.

That being said I am VERY concerned that Smith won't be playing the next game. It absolutely affects our pass-rush. RJF must demand a double-team or someone else must step up and create serious heat - every down while not giving up huge holes for Lynch.
Yeah, this is a huge concern.

Last time Justin went out of a game (against San Diego IIRC) it was because he bumped a ref and got tossed (bad call, he didn't know it was a ref), and when he did, the defense folded right up. That was pre-Harbaugh, tho.

I just hope that, with a week to prep knowing that Justin won't be in there, the others step up.

RJF is extremely strong, and if he shows some pressure early it may result in them double teaming him.

Mostly its just gonna be a question of how they replace Justin's nonstop motor on every down. IMHO.

Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Marv

I totally agree that we need to have a killer instinct. The 49ers can't "win the half" and expect teams to just give up and wait for them to make mistakes. They want to win as much as we do. Pile up so many points where it makes it impossible to win. Rest players. Finish off games early. The offense could have created a situation where Justin doesn't need to play the 2nd half.

That being said I am VERY concerned that Smith won't be playing the next game. It absolutely affects our pass-rush. RJF must demand a double-team or someone else must step up and create serious heat - every down while not giving up huge holes for Lynch.
Yeah, this is a huge concern.

Last time Justin went out of a game (against San Diego IIRC) it was because he bumped a ref and got tossed (bad call, he didn't know it was a ref), and when he did, the defense folded right up. That was pre-Harbaugh, tho.

I just hope that, with a week to prep knowing that Justin won't be in there, the others step up.

RJF is extremely strong, and if he shows some pressure early it may result in them double teaming him.

Mostly its just gonna be a question of how they replace Justin's nonstop motor on every down. IMHO.

I have to say this...

I think the "Justin was out so we starting getting torn up" thing is WAY overblown. I'm pretty sure the Pats scored their first 2 TDs with Justin on the field, so it's not like he left and the floodgates opened. Moreover, the Niners made 2 HUGE stops with Ricky Jean-Francois on the field at the end including a sack by Ricky. Aldon and Justin hadn't sacked Brady all night.

Justin is a MONSTER and we need him back, but I don't think Justin was the reason we gave up points in bunches. I think thats way to simplistic.

The D gave up that many points because they relaxed when they were way up, the Pats got into a rythm and when they do that it's nearly impossible to turn the "ON" switch back on again...especially when the other team is snapping the ball every 25 seconds and runs 90+ freakin plays.

Also...the Niners WERE stopping the Pats. they KILLED them on 3rd down. The Pats were coming back because they were taking BIG chances while way down...like going for it 6 times on 4th down. If the Niners hadn't been so far ahead, the Pats wouldn't have been playing like that and wouldn't have scored so many points.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 21, 2012 at 10:52 AM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I have to say this...

I think the "Justin was out so we starting getting torn up" thing is WAY overblown. I'm pretty sure the Pats scored their first 2 TDs with Justin on the field, so it's not like he left and the floodgates opened. Moreover, the Niners made 2 HUGE stops with Ricky Jean-Francois on the field at the end including a sack by Ricky. Aldon and Justin hadn't sacked Brady all night.

Justin is a MONSTER and we need him back, but I don't think Justin was the reason we gave up points in bunches. I think thats way to simplistic.

The D gave up that many points because they relaxed when they were way up, the Pats got into a rythm and when they do that it's nearly impossible to turn the "ON" switch back on again...especially when the other team is snapping the ball every 25 seconds and runs 90+ freakin plays.

Also...the Niners WERE stopping the Pats. they KILLED them on 3rd down. The Pats were coming back because they were taking BIG chances while way down...like going for it 6 times on 4th down. If the Niners hadn't been so far ahead, the Pats wouldn't have been playing like that and wouldn't have scored so many points.
I have to agree.

Justin is a monster. But at some point the team will have to go on without him and someone else will have to step up. This may be the game we find out who that's going to be.

I have to think that Harbaugh and his coaches will have this team ready, with Justin or without him.
Do you think Seattle will try the no-huddle since the Patriots had great success last week?
Originally posted by NinerSince82:
Do you think Seattle will try the no-huddle since the Patriots had great success last week?

no

The Pats did no-huddle in the first half too. And the Niner D stepped up. The only reason it worked in the 2nd half is because Niners Def went into zone and like Marvin said, the Pats took more risks in their playcalling because they were down by so much
Originally posted by FourNine49:

The Pats did no-huddle in the first half too. And the Niner D stepped up. The only reason it worked in the 2nd half is because Niners Def went into zone and like Marvin said, the Pats took more risks in their playcalling because they were down by so much

Correct....including going 5 of 6 on 4th down after going something like 3 of 16 on third. Thats a bunch of times when the drive should have ended and the Pats were rolling the dice.

Also, no other NFL team is EQUIPPED to run the no huddle the way the Pats do.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 21, 2012 at 12:11 PM ]
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Greg Cossell on his Friday podcast said that the up tempo Offense that New England went to in the second half worked against Denver and that it made the 49er defenders tired and at times they didn't rush the passer with effort. I saw Aldon look like his hand was hurt then came back a few plays later and he looked like he was not giving his full effort.

http://media40.podbean.com/pb/a2f4ec44759ff3decb74703a428c49fc/50d4cd61/data2/blogs25/329295/uploads/GregCosellWeek16Matchup122112.mp3
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by FourNine49:

Correct....including going 5 of 6 on 4th down after going something like 3 of 16 on third. Thats a bunch of times when the drive should have ended and the Pats were rolling the dice.

Also, no other NFL team is EQUIPPED to run the no huddle the way the Pats do.

And let's be real. RW has definitely matured over the course of the season and the playbook is now fully open for him, but Pete Carrol isn't going to let a rookie call shots in a no-huddle offense against arguably the best defense in the NFL. Not happening.

shouldnt Brady spiking the ball been called for an unsportsmanlike penalty?
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
shouldnt Brady spiking the ball been called for an unsportsmanlike penalty?

Spiking during the game is an unsportsmanlike penalty because it's a delay of game but apparently they said the timeout was already granted so you can't delay the game. Might have heard you can't get a penalty during a timeout but I think they should change that. It's makes it worse than Brady had no right considering half our D was holding their hands above their heads signaling for a time out way before he snapped the ball.
Share 49ersWebzone