LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 257 users in the forums

Marvin49's Week 15: Thoughts after rewatching the game....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Folks over analyzing why they went to zone The same reason EVERY team goes prevent zone. It was b/c they were up 24 and didn't want to give up any big plays. They actually played it perfectly during the Pats 1st td scoring drive. Pats took a nice chunk of time for that score. The offenses 3 and outs didn't help at all. Then the Pats really caught fire. Add in those fluke pi calls and they were scoring really fast.
FREE MARVIN49!
I'm 49erCanuck and I approve this thread! :)
Marv flexing his thread muscle in an OFFICIAL like manner...congratz bro!!
Originally posted by lamontb:
Folks over analyzing why they went to zone The same reason EVERY team goes prevent zone. It was b/c they were up 24 and didn't want to give up any big plays. They actually played it perfectly during the Pats 1st td scoring drive. Pats took a nice chunk of time for that score. The offenses 3 and outs didn't help at all. Then the Pats really caught fire. Add in those fluke pi calls and they were scoring really fast.

I don't believe all passing plays are risky. In other words, you can still play it safely without becoming too conservative. Were it not for Special Teams and Kaep's Crabtree TD pass, Roman would have lost this game for us. Playing it too conservatively means 3 and outs and less time for the D to rest, which clearly they needed due to those ridiculous Brady drives. Roman needs to be whipped back into shape by Harbaugh
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Let's all relax and stop the b***hing and whining. This is now the official thread for Marvin's weekly analysis, which is always a great read and much appreciated. We'll try to keep a weekly official thread for him.

This week, at least TWO other posters jacked his style and started their own threads. This lead to a merge and lots of complaints. The problem is fixed but complaints should be handled differently in the future. Instigating others to complain publicly (SUSWEEL) does not help.

NOW TALK FOOTBALL, CON-SARN IT!!!

lol man I didn't even do anything.
Marvin,

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery as they say. Just a couple of comments on your points;

#6. Yeah, 65 passes is a huge number, but I noticed that they ran 92 plays to our 65, yet the time of possession was almost exactly equal. We ran 39 running plays to their 24 and only 26 passing plays (including 1 sack). That accounts for part of the time difference, and their hurry-up offense accounts for the rest. That our D rallied at the end is really remarkable, in that weather, without Justin Smith, after all those plays.

#7. Maybe it was a coincidence, but did you notice that the short kick at the end of the game went to Walker? I guess Belichek agrees that he has the worst hands.
As to #4, the offensive game plan: this is something that bothers me about Roman's play calling. He doesn't seem willing to stick with something that works until the defense shows they can stop it.

The team is doing great, moving the ball and scoring, then they go conservative and don't go back to what was working.

Thank goodness Kaep went off the script for that last TD throw to Crabs!
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
Marvin,

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery as they say. Just a couple of comments on your points;

#6. Yeah, 65 passes is a huge number, but I noticed that they ran 92 plays to our 65, yet the time of possession was almost exactly equal. We ran 39 running plays to their 24 and only 26 passing plays (including 1 sack). That accounts for part of the time difference, and their hurry-up offense accounts for the rest. That our D rallied at the end is really remarkable, in that weather, without Justin Smith, after all those plays.

#7. Maybe it was a coincidence, but did you notice that the short kick at the end of the game went to Walker? I guess Belichek agrees that he has the worst hands.

I think it's pretty clear that RJF needs some more playing time because he was a catalyst on that last drive.
I think although the DL must have been tired... running those plays has got to wear down the OL too no? Bc RJF was fresh and beastin' on those fools.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
As to #4, the offensive game plan: this is something that bothers me about Roman's play calling. He doesn't seem willing to stick with something that works until the defense shows they can stop it.

The team is doing great, moving the ball and scoring, then they go conservative and don't go back to what was working.

Thank goodness Kaep went off the script for that last TD throw to Crabs!

I just think they are trying to get too cute at time. Too much college type plays in his game plan.
Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:
Originally posted by lamontb:

I don't believe all passing plays are risky. In other words, you can still play it safely without becoming too conservative. Were it not for Special Teams and Kaep's Crabtree TD pass, Roman would have lost this game for us. Playing it too conservatively means 3 and outs and less time for the D to rest, which clearly they needed due to those ridiculous Brady drives. Roman needs to be whipped back into shape by Harbaugh

True but it's just the way d coordinator's seem to think. How many times over the years have we seen teams go to prevent/soft zones and end up blowing leads? Happens all the time. I'm not saying it's correct but it just seems to be the way it is across the board for the most part, and not just something that only Fangio would do. I was hoping that they would at least mix in a zone blitz to throw off the timing but they have so many weapons it's really hard to key in on Brady. Not to mention J Smith went down. The offense just hits a bump in a road at the worst possible moments in games. Just one or 2 more 1st down's on a a couple more drives and the game would have been out of reach. Just gotta execute better. And James played well but on that last drive i'd like to see Gore going up the gut

Yea those 2 and out's were disturbing but let's remember that we are playing a super bowl contender. Everything isn't gonna be perfect. They are gonna make plays and beat our guys at times.
[ Edited by lamontb on Dec 17, 2012 at 1:21 PM ]

Great post as usual Marvin! It was a glorious win, I just hope Justin Smith is okay. You are totally right about stepping on their throats and going for the jugular. Never relax it can come back to bite you. The prevent defense only prevents you from winning! It looks like the D went to a zone when Brady made the come back. Fangio finally went back to man to man to stop them at the end when it counted. You have to go with what works, if Brady is getting stuffed man to man why go zone. I'm happy it didn't cost them the game. We now have two more big playmakers in Kaep and LMJ! Speed and power!
A Couple of random thoughts from the game...
1. The 3rd and 15 screen play to Gore was awesome. Great call!
2. I know Goldson gets a personal foul per game, but I will take the trade off if it doesn't come in the 4th quarter or overtime. I think he has good hits and it keeps the wr's scared.
3. When Mannigham comes back it will be a blessing. The offense is more explosive but I would like us to keep some drives going longer by moving the chains.
4. Sometimes on 3rd and 1, I go crazy with the playcalling. The play where we lined up under center and Kaep fumbled???? We went into an all out run formation, 2 fbs and 1 rb behind Kaep, NO WR's... I think if we needed 1 yard, couldn't we put 4 wr's and spread them wide. Run a bunch of slants and let Kaep choose to out run up the middle or to the side. Last night Brady ran up the middle for 15 yards when the spread us out at the goal line.
5. Did Jenkins play at all?
6. I'm ok with the D. I just wish that if the D is getting burned for TD after TD, fangio would call some different blitzes. You can still only rush 3 or 4 if that's what you want to do. But if you corner blitz or blitz Willis right up the middle it makes Brady have to make a quicker decision.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
A Couple of random thoughts from the game...
1. The 3rd and 15 screen play to Gore was awesome. Great call!
2. I know Goldson gets a personal foul per game, but I will take the trade off if it doesn't come in the 4th quarter or overtime. I think he has good hits and it keeps the wr's scared.
3. When Mannigham comes back it will be a blessing. The offense is more explosive but I would like us to keep some drives going longer by moving the chains.
4. Sometimes on 3rd and 1, I go crazy with the playcalling. The play where we lined up under center and Kaep fumbled???? We went into an all out run formation, 2 fbs and 1 rb behind Kaep, NO WR's... I think if we needed 1 yard, couldn't we put 4 wr's and spread them wide. Run a bunch of slants and let Kaep choose to out run up the middle or to the side. Last night Brady ran up the middle for 15 yards when the spread us out at the goal line.
5. Did Jenkins play at all?
6. I'm ok with the D. I just wish that if the D is getting burned for TD after TD, fangio would call some different blitzes. You can still only rush 3 or 4 if that's what you want to do. But if you corner blitz or blitz Willis right up the middle it makes Brady have to make a quicker decision.
Completely agree with #4. That play did not appear to leave any options, and told the D exactly where the play was going. "Hey, QB sneak coming here!" Call it the "No chance" play.

Unless Kaep was gonna roll out with the ball with Gore on his hip, like an option play. Maybe that's why he fumbled the snap, he was getting ready to roll out. We'll never know.

Still, I agree with you about the short yardage plays. Definately an area in need of improvement. IMHO.

Noice. These threads have long deserved "Official" status - great change by the mods. These threads are the only reason I wade into NT....

Love the reviews Marvin!
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:

i don't think they intended to kick it directly at him. they're looking for a high bounce that didn't happen.
Share 49ersWebzone