There are 140 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Marvin49's Week 15: Thoughts after rewatching the game....

Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
6) NE Passing yards: Just a note...the Niners did relax in the second half and they shouldn't have...but Brady threw 65 freakin passes. SIXTY-FIVE!! That is flat nuts. The Niner D was GASSED in a big way and the pass rush just could get to him until late. Still...440+ yards on the 65 attempts, but only a single TD and 2 picks.
Could or could NOT get to him?

Could NOT. Sorry.

They were gassed and the slippery conditions were hindering them.
Nice summary Marv, as always. I was looking for your post yesterday but couldn't find it.
Pasodoc--it seems they can either sub or play prevent...but either would dictate going all out on pass rush. The prevent works much better with pressure to keep the QB from picking the dbs apart. So maybe the only choice is subbing. The NE offensive line must have been gassed in the second half as well. The two young OLBs on injured list would really help in rotation I believe.
One issue I wanted to bring up is the on-going lack of chemistry between Vernon Davis and Colin Kaepernick. Is this a case of Kaep being more comfortable read his WR's or is it something else? Vernon Davis has always had issues with change, so perhaps he is just a slow learner and doesn't have a natural feel for how to get under a ball? This team is missing a big weapon. The problem with Vernon remains the same, he's deadly when he gets the ball but that is easier said than done.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Dec 20, 2012 at 6:09 AM ]
Originally posted by bzborow1:
One issue I wanted to bring up is the on-going lack of chemistry between Vernon Davis and Colin Kaepernick. Is this a case of Kaep being more comfortable read his WR's or is it something else? Vernon Davis has always had issues with change, so perhaps he is just a slow learner and doesn't have a natural feel for how to get under a ball? This team is missing a big weapon. The problem with Vernon remains the same, he's deadly when he gets the ball but that is easier said than done.

Vernons numbers would have looked alot different if he were capable of making a diving catch. Neither of the two passes (TDs BTW) that were overthrown to him were very far off the mark.
I agree with pretty much everything, Marv. Only thing I disagree with is the pass to Vernon Davis. That one was on Kaep more than it was on Davis. Davis could've laid out and dove and *maybe* made a difficult catch, but Kaep needs to hit him like he does everyone else. Davis is one of the fastest guys on the team, it's hard to overthrow him. But in all honesty, that's only one missed deep pass that I've seen Kaep throw. We won, so nothing too worry about. You can't hit them all, not even Brady does.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by bzborow1:

Vernons numbers would have looked alot different if he were capable of making a diving catch. Neither of the two passes (TDs BTW) that were overthrown to him were very far off the mark.

That's one pass though, but it is a trend. The guy just disappears. Maybe its the playcalling and they're using him as a decoy, but maybe he's just....well....a little stupid.

As far as that one pass I saw what happened. Kaep let that ball go just before Vernon was about to clear the safety. As Kaep was releasing VD and the safety bumped each other and it slowed Vernon up.
I think the main thing with Davis is exactly what Kaepernick says in press conferences. When they ask him why he throws to any given receiver, he almost always says, "because he's open," or "he was open." Davis attracts coverage. But, I agree that on at least one of those throws and possibly both of them, if Davis lays out, he at least gets his hands on the ball. I don't think it's that easy for Davis to lay out because he's so rocked up.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I think the main thing with Davis is exactly what Kaepernick says in press conferences. When they ask him why he throws to any given receiver, he almost always says, "because he's open," or "he was open." Davis attracts coverage. But, I agree that on at least one of those throws and possibly both of them, if Davis lays out, he at least gets his hands on the ball. I don't think it's that easy for Davis to lay out because he's so rocked up.

i've always been a fan of VD, but one thing i never felt was great as was finding soft spots in zone coverage .... my observation may be wrong, but i dunno. i always felt like he wants to run full speed rather than play smart.

Had a coach once who taught that 90% of diving catches were unnecessary. Running through to the ball gained just as much ground unless you can launch yourself from a running position--and most people can't. Hearing that I have never criticized receivers for not diving...not reaching? Sure. VD has never been accused of being nimble so I'm not sure you should criticize him for his physical limitations.

VD's problem has always been catching the ball over his shoulder or head, or in awkward positions...including reaching behind him. He has improved a great deal over the past few years and has likely changed his exercise routine to decrease power-lifting and increase flexibility.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 21, 2012 at 7:28 AM ]
Marv

I totally agree that we need to have a killer instinct. The 49ers can't "win the half" and expect teams to just give up and wait for them to make mistakes. They want to win as much as we do. Pile up so many points where it makes it impossible to win. Rest players. Finish off games early. The offense could have created a situation where Justin doesn't need to play the 2nd half.

That being said I am VERY concerned that Smith won't be playing the next game. It absolutely affects our pass-rush. RJF must demand a double-team or someone else must step up and create serious heat - every down while not giving up huge holes for Lynch.
My largest concern is number 4. They have done this in each of the last three games (maybe more) where it became blatantly obvious they were playing "protect the football." They rely heavily on the run game in the 4th quarters. If that does not succeed, then we go 3 and out, 3 and out, and 3 and out. The coaching staff needs to realize that no lead is safe in the NFL and continue to put pressure on teams by putting points on the board.

If this mentality continues, we may have a quick exit in the playoffs. Manning, Rodgers, Brady, Ryan, and all these QBs will shred teams with so many opportunities. By continuing to score, you burn more time off the clock, and give less opportunities for the opposition to have a possession. Their conservative game plan late in the games is a very big concern for me.
not sure if anyone has commented on this but . . . . other than coach looking odd in a jacket on the sidelines, he was also very calm every time the camera was on him? was it because it was just too cold or something else? Heart playing up again? I noticed he had a bit of a cough during the interviews so I'll just put it down to being under the weather.
[ Edited by ace49ers on Dec 21, 2012 at 8:14 AM ]
Originally posted by SJniner7:
My largest concern is number 4. They have done this in each of the last three games (maybe more) where it became blatantly obvious they were playing "protect the football." They rely heavily on the run game in the 4th quarters. If that does not succeed, then we go 3 and out, 3 and out, and 3 and out. The coaching staff needs to realize that no lead is safe in the NFL and continue to put pressure on teams by putting points on the board.

If this mentality continues, we may have a quick exit in the playoffs. Manning, Rodgers, Brady, Ryan, and all these QBs will shred teams with so many opportunities. By continuing to score, you burn more time off the clock, and give less opportunities for the opposition to have a possession. Their conservative game plan late in the games is a very big concern for me.

Agreed AND it wears out your defense and leads to injuries. There is nothing wrong with slowing the tempo down and methodically moving down the field on offense (but we go prevent-offense) and it's so obvious teams stuff us and like you said, it's 3 and out. Now your defense is back on the field playing two-hand touch as the offense marches quickly down the field.

Next time I hope they stick with the game plan like it is 0-0, maybe slow the temp down, give CK more time up at the LOS to read the defense and adjust plays as needed and then on defense, continue to play man and bring pressure to get them off the field. Given we never sub, these boys are going to wear down esp. with a no-huddle, hurry-up offense with simple pitch-catch plays against our prevent.

It also has a carry-over affect on our defense. I hope our boys aren't still exhausted.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Had a coach once who taught that 90% of diving catches were unnecessary. Running through to the ball gained just as much ground unless you can launch yourself from a running position--and most people can't. Hearing that I have never criticized receivers for not diving...not reaching? Sure. VD has never been accused of being nimble so I'm not sure you should criticize him for his physical limitations.

VD's problem has always been catching the ball over his shoulder or head, or in awkward positions...including reaching behind him. He has improved a great deal over the past few years and has likely changed his exercise routine to decrease power-lifting and increase flexibility.

Bolded part . . . nail . . . head!

Also, it's difficult for a leopard to change his spots. As Singletary identified "it's all about himself". You can gloss it over by with making him a captain, touting the "team" line, etc. But the essential character will eventually shine through. His intelligence is limited. He doesn't accept responsibility for his shortcomings. For instance, in dicussing his lack of catches, he puts it all on Kaepernick - "it's to be expected, he's young, he's still learning, etc.", "As a leader of this team, I . . . I . . . I". He's very condescending. No trace of the humility one sees in great players. The opposite of Gore, Willis, etc.

We got a glimpse of this last weekiend with his complaints on the sideline.
[ Edited by Rsrkshn on Dec 21, 2012 at 8:33 AM ]