There are 107 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Marvin49's Week 15: Thoughts after rewatching the game....

Originally posted by jacklegniner:
A Couple of random thoughts from the game...
1. The 3rd and 15 screen play to Gore was awesome. Great call!
2. I know Goldson gets a personal foul per game, but I will take the trade off if it doesn't come in the 4th quarter or overtime. I think he has good hits and it keeps the wr's scared.
3. When Mannigham comes back it will be a blessing. The offense is more explosive but I would like us to keep some drives going longer by moving the chains.
4. Sometimes on 3rd and 1, I go crazy with the playcalling. The play where we lined up under center and Kaep fumbled???? We went into an all out run formation, 2 fbs and 1 rb behind Kaep, NO WR's... I think if we needed 1 yard, couldn't we put 4 wr's and spread them wide. Run a bunch of slants and let Kaep choose to out run up the middle or to the side. Last night Brady ran up the middle for 15 yards when the spread us out at the goal line.
5. Did Jenkins play at all?
6. I'm ok with the D. I just wish that if the D is getting burned for TD after TD, fangio would call some different blitzes. You can still only rush 3 or 4 if that's what you want to do. But if you corner blitz or blitz Willis right up the middle it makes Brady have to make a quicker decision.

#2 is what lead to the Aldon Smith int. Hernandez was visible shaking up for a while after that hit.

Also it look like he was trying to lead with the shoulder but Hernandez ducked into the helmet on helmet. I like that he is going into make big hits clean, if some end has penalties so be it.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Regarding Kaepernick and Harbaugh's decision to insert him into the lineup mid-season:

First off, the ballsiest coaching decision ever. There are very few NFL coaches who'd have the stones to make that call; even if they thought it was the right thing to do. Harbaugh opened himself up to a tsunami of second guessing, but the man has the courage of his convictions and now Kap's proving him right.

Secondly, have to agree that it's extremely rare to see so much early success from a young QB, but Kap walked into a rare situation. Talented young QB's don't often get to step straight onto a super bowl ready team. Nevertheless, the poise and fearlessness he's shown are remarkable.

Lastly, by making the move when he did, Harbaugh gave Kap and the offense just enough time to gel before the playoffs. Watching this offense operate, I'm struck by how little of their potential has yet been realized. There were many missed opportunities last night and they could've scored 60 points. If this group can start hitting on all cylinders in January, they'll be unstoppable.
Originally posted by lamontb:
True but it's just the way d coordinator's seem to think. How many times over the years have we seen teams go to prevent/soft zones and end up blowing leads? Happens all the time. I'm not saying it's correct but it just seems to be the way it is across the board for the most part, and not just something that only Fangio would do. I was hoping that they would at least mix in a zone blitz to throw off the timing but they have so many weapons it's really hard to key in on Brady. Not to mention J Smith went down. The offense just hits a bump in a road at the worst possible moments in games. Just one or 2 more 1st down's on a a couple more drives and the game would have been out of reach. Just gotta execute better. And James played well but on that last drive i'd like to see Gore going up the gut

Yea those 2 and out's were disturbing but let's remember that we are playing a super bowl contender. Everything isn't gonna be perfect. They are gonna make plays and beat our guys at times.

The reason they went zone was because it forces the offense to make long, sustained drives and takes away the big plays. They were still able to stop brady on third downs while in zone, just like in the first half. The reason they couldnt stop the Patriots from driving down the field was that they were 5/6 on fourth downs in the second half, which is just insane.
I want to thank you for each and every week for your postings. I don't write much on this forum, but I am like every real diehard niner fan. I'm on this site every day all day. I read all the articals and I read every forum. But I want to say I look forward to your post the most after every game, so thank you for knowledge and your posts of each game. Yesterday was my birthday and all I wanted was a victory. So let me end it by this. I HAD THE BEST BIRTHDAY EVER! GO NINERS! Kap is the real deal.
Great job Marvin49! Was an unbelievable game to watch.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
I finally got to watch the game last night in the UK, thoughts as follows:

1) Conditions were horrible and the snap fumbles really cost us, along with some drops and Vernon Davis not diving for that pass to the end zone in the 1st half which he he really should have gone for. We could have had that game absolutely out of sight by the end of the first half. We dominated them, and we did again at the end of the 4th quarter when we went back to the O and D calling that had served us so well. I hope the lesson is learned that if we're doing something right and it's working then we don't change it, no matter how protective we want to be.

2) Linked to the above but play calling from the coaching staff needs to be much better. We were going 3 and out in the third quarter because Roman is calling obvious run plays to take down the clock and we have no pass option on them. The defense is stuffing the box and we're then having to punt and put the D back on the field when they really need a rest. I think Roman may not be with the team next year even if he doesn't get an offer to coach elsewhere. We really need to call plays that gives Kap a passing option and stop trying to run it 3 times out of 4 when we need yards. The O play calling needs to recognise that offense has an obligation to give Def a rest. It's even more frustrating when it seems we have a deep and varied playbook that works well when we mix it up and yet we go back to easily defended run only options.

3) Kaepernick is going to be awesome, he's started to read the blitzes and adjust.

4) Akers is off the boil without doubt and I think we need to address it quickly before the playoffs - if we went to a play off game requiring him to make a FG to win it I'd have no confidence watching him.

5) Scrap the jumbo package. I think I saw it once in the game but it's not worked all season, just drop it.
Originally posted by nannite:
Originally posted by lamontb:
True but it's just the way d coordinator's seem to think. How many times over the years have we seen teams go to prevent/soft zones and end up blowing leads? Happens all the time. I'm not saying it's correct but it just seems to be the way it is across the board for the most part, and not just something that only Fangio would do. I was hoping that they would at least mix in a zone blitz to throw off the timing but they have so many weapons it's really hard to key in on Brady. Not to mention J Smith went down. The offense just hits a bump in a road at the worst possible moments in games. Just one or 2 more 1st down's on a a couple more drives and the game would have been out of reach. Just gotta execute better. And James played well but on that last drive i'd like to see Gore going up the gut

Yea those 2 and out's were disturbing but let's remember that we are playing a super bowl contender. Everything isn't gonna be perfect. They are gonna make plays and beat our guys at times.

The reason they went zone was because it forces the offense to make long, sustained drives and takes away the big plays. They were still able to stop brady on third downs while in zone, just like in the first half. The reason they couldnt stop the Patriots from driving down the field was that they were 5/6 on fourth downs in the second half, which is just insane.

True, it's insane, but "insane" is a day at the office for Brady. That wasn't even close to the best he has ever played. The coaches should understand that a player like that cannot have ANY breathing room. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he went 25/25 on 4th down. Brady is automatic in pressure situations. We lifted the lid of the pressure cooker, took like ten whole seconds to feel the burn, said "OUCH!" then put the lid back on at the very end, just in time. We MUST learn from this.
I dont know if this was brought up in here, but I remember Towny on 95.7 talking about Gore being really tired and saying that Gore says all the right things to the media like, "I train hard in the off season, I'm still good, etc." And then when no one is looking, he asks for help to get up from his teammates. I just rewatched the game and I noticed that Bruce Miller was fast to help up Gore on a lot of the running plays.
Great job as always Marvin--thanks for doing this each week.

Really happy with CK and can certainly understand why JH made the move from Smith...although it still might have been handled better. Agree that three games, probably the toughest 3 other than NYG, have shown CK ready to play in big games. The pass to Crabtree, over the shoulder while bracketed, was really one of the best passes I have seen in a long time.

My concern is with the short time of possessions that put the D back on the field. Not that they should slow down, but the D needs to sub more, especially in cold weather rainy conditions. They lost Dobbs but they have Ricky and other good backups so they need to get them ready for the playoffs if needed. Ahead by 24 would have been a great time to do this and I did see some subbing early, but not much. Most subbing came when players were dinged up--the Smiths (although Aldon came right back in I believe).
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 18, 2012 at 7:25 AM ]
dtg, the D got exhausted in the last qtr, when JH started to play "not to lose" on D with loose coverage, 5-7 yds off welker and gronk, plus they played to keep everything in front of them, and went to zone with a half hearted passrush. Worse JH went to playing "not to lose" on O , with 4 consecutive 3 and outs, each series a set of 3 two yard runs, from a tight formation, with no intent of passing. Our O was on the field for about 4 mins in 4 sets of 3 and outs. The D, meanwhile, had to play 400 yds of defense against Brady who put up 4 TDs in 10 mins, with our D being gassed. Finally, when brady scored the 4th TD in 1min, 6 seconds, tying the game, Harbaw suddenly awoke from his stupor and realized he had to play football to win. LMJ sure helped out with that 62 yarder on the KO, and next play, was the 8 yd pass to crabs with a 30 yd RAC. Coach almost slept thru the 4th qtr, but he did, in the final analysis, wake up for the bell. So F - for the first ten minutes of the 4th qtr, and a strong A for when he realized he had just peed away 28 points in 10 minutes....and that he had to play REAL football again.

Yes, this was a monster depression causing series of events for us, but for Coach H, hopefully he learned something from it. And that is, when you have a lead late in the game, playing loose, playing 'NOT TO LOSE" , is a sure way to lose. If JH took that one lesson away from this game, then the game itself was a huge success. Superficially , yes it was a huge win. Learning that playing "NOT TO LOSE" is almost a sure fire way in which to lose, however, is a much bigger thing for him to learn. Dang I hope he learned the lesson.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
dtg, the D got exhausted in the last qtr, when JH started to play "not to lose" on D with loose coverage, 5-7 yds off welker and gronk, plus they played to keep everything in front of them, and went to zone with a half hearted passrush. Worse JH went to playing "not to lose" on O , with 4 consecutive 3 and outs, each series a set of 3 two yard runs, from a tight formation, with no intent of passing. Our O was on the field for about 4 mins in 4 sets of 3 and outs. The D, meanwhile, had to play 400 yds of defense against Brady who put up 4 TDs in 10 mins, with our D being gassed. Finally, when brady scored the 4th TD in 1min, 6 seconds, tying the game, Harbaw suddenly awoke from his stupor and realized he had to play football to win. LMJ sure helped out with that 62 yarder on the KO, and next play, was the 8 yd pass to crabs with a 30 yd RAC. Coach almost slept thru the 4th qtr, but he did, in the final analysis, wake up for the bell. So F - for the first ten minutes of the 4th qtr, and a strong A for when he realized he had just peed away 28 points in 10 minutes....and that he had to play REAL football again.

Yes, this was a monster depression causing series of events for us, but for Coach H, hopefully he learned something from it. And that is, when you have a lead late in the game, playing loose, playing 'NOT TO LOSE" , is a sure way to lose. If JH took that one lesson away from this game, then the game itself was a huge success. Superficially , yes it was a huge win. Learning that playing "NOT TO LOSE" is almost a sure fire way in which to lose, however, is a much bigger thing for him to learn. Dang I hope he learned the lesson.

if we ever do that prevent crap again..then we should sub as many back up Dline we have..and let those guys go at the QB...don't let our starters tire themselves out and get injured if the coaches know they are going to let them pass.
Originally posted by FourNine49:
I dont know if this was brought up in here, but I remember Towny on 95.7 talking about Gore being really tired and saying that Gore says all the right things to the media like, "I train hard in the off season, I'm still good, etc." And then when no one is looking, he asks for help to get up from his teammates. I just rewatched the game and I noticed that Bruce Miller was fast to help up Gore on a lot of the running plays.

Gore's running style is very violent. He runs so low to the ground and almost looks parallel to the ground at times. When he makes contact its with a ton of force. He always gets positive yards. I'm really surprised he hasn't had more shoulder injuries to be honest. His jump cut is still off the hook!! He's a beast. He's played an entire career against defenses gameplanning against him and and until recently its been ONLY him. Amazing person, and an amazing player!

Could care less what anyone says about the all time greatest 49er running back!
I agree that our D was impressive: The patriots went for it on 4th down alot so our D was doing smething. It is really a credit to them for how many plays they had to expend energy on. Whitner, Dashon,Aldon shining and Ray Mcdonald love em, franzswa good s**t too

haters gon hate Delanie..Get rite for the playoffs and nice TD

Something is going on with VD..maybe he has one, take your time everyione knows you are a beast..no need to remind them yet

Ginn can still potentially do some good on punts, like Akers who else is there?

The Kraeptree is in full strength and.. Bowman and williS did well.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Originally posted by FourNine49:

Gore's running style is very violent. He runs so low to the ground and almost looks parallel to the ground at times. When he makes contact its with a ton of force. He always gets positive yards. I'm really surprised he hasn't had more shoulder injuries to be honest. His jump cut is still off the hook!! He's a beast. He's played an entire career against defenses gameplanning against him and and until recently its been ONLY him. Amazing person, and an amazing player!

Could care less what anyone says about the all time greatest 49er running back!

I was more alluding to the fact that he is banged up
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
6) NE Passing yards: Just a note...the Niners did relax in the second half and they shouldn't have...but Brady threw 65 freakin passes. SIXTY-FIVE!! That is flat nuts. The Niner D was GASSED in a big way and the pass rush just could get to him until late. Still...440+ yards on the 65 attempts, but only a single TD and 2 picks.
Could or could NOT get to him?