LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 284 users in the forums

Does Colin Kaepernick have the strongest arm in the NFL

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does Colin Kaepernick have the strongest arm in the NFL

Originally posted by nickbradley:
I really have no idea how he fell to the second round.

Divine intervention!
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Kaep can throw the ball about 60MPH

They did the trailer thing on kaep during SNF... Collinsworth mention he threw about 64mph when most elite QBs are in the mid to high 50s.

QB Velocity since 2008 combine
http://blogs.ourlads.com/2012/03/12/quarterback-ball-velocity-at-nfl-combine-2008-2012/
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sourball:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I really have no idea how he fell to the second round.

Divine intervention!

came from a non-NFL offense, small school in a decent QB draft.
Originally posted by Pick6:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Rodgers was clocked in the low 70s at the combine in a drill just to mesure ball velocity ....

so 60s on a timed pass hitting a wr in stride is pretty epic.

its been 15 years since the 49ers have had a franchise QB

lol, no

Link please or BS must be called

uh, yeah pretty sure that didn't happen. 60 is about the equivalent of 100mph with a baseball... 70 would be pushing 115?! I've tried to find a link to verify this stat, but I can't even find a link to any position specific drill results from the combine. I'm gonna go on a limb and say there aren't many throwing in the 60's.

I did find this link, which states that Kape had the strongest throw of anyone in that draft class. I don't remember ever reading this before the draft... and so far it appears Kaep is proving it wrong - http://www.fantasyfootballmetrics.com/Player_News/2011/NFL%20Draft/Draft_2011_Kaepernick_2-28-11_1.0.htm
"It's all about the passing ability in the NFL. The passing metrics on Kaepernick would say he doesn't have what it takes to be an elite NFL QB. Take a shot in the 5-7th Round if you like. Using a 1st-3rd Round pick on him is a really bad business decision"
Which explains why the author of that article is sitting on his rear pecking away on a keyboard while others are running NFL teams. Who knows if Kap will continue to grow and eventually be considered "elite", but he sure has added a spark to this 49ers offense. I've never seen Crabs look this happy in games or ever seen Moss coaching up A. Smith on the sidelines (no knock against Smith, just an observation) NOt saying that Kap is in MOntana's league but he has that little something that makes everyone around him play better. (except Goodwin and Veron Davis , who may be dogging it because of his buddy Smith )
  • darum
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Ive seen RGIII connect on some BOMBS this year. Like 65-70 yards of air in a game

People need to stop bringing up deep bombs in this thread. Not saying RGIII has a weak arm, but long balls are about accuracy and putting air under the ball. It does require some strength, but any starting QB in the NFL should be able to put the ball in the air ~60 yards. RGIII def has a better deep ball than Kaep (and maybe the best deep ball in the NFL already), but Kaep has him easily beat in arm strength. Arm strength is the 27 yard TD pass he made to crabs, zipping the ball inbetween 2 closing defenders. its the pass he lasered into crabs that gave him enough time to catch the ball and elude the defender to score a 38 yard TD.

When you think arm strength, think about deep outs and comebacks, balls where it needs to be there on a line before defenders close. One of the biggest misconceptions with NFL fans is that hail maries and fades = arm strength.
[ Edited by darum on Dec 18, 2012 at 2:30 AM ]
Originally posted by goldstandard333:
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
Theres something special about this team. Not just in 49er history but this team is one of the greatest ever top to bottom.

They need to proove that by winning the Super Bowl.

This. I wouldn't even think to call a team one of the greatest ever without them winning a Super Bowl first......
Share 49ersWebzone