There are 238 users in the forums

Does Colin Kaepernick have the strongest arm in the NFL

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does Colin Kaepernick have the strongest arm in the NFL

Arm strength is great to have, not that the great QB's have needed it. So while it's an interesting topic, arm strength is just part of the equation.

During the 2011 NFL combine, it was reported that Kap had the strongest arm, just over Mallett, then Newton.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/28/source-radar-gun-says-kaepernick-had-combines-strongest-arm/

And I've posted this before, but Chip Smith was a trainer for both Kap and Cam Newton. And he said Kap throws harder (I also read in the past that Smith said how Kap's throws "whistle" when he throws them, but can't find the link now). But to me, the velocity stuff is less significant than when Chip Smith said:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f54896/article/kaepernick-holds-slight-athletic-edge-over-newton-trainer-says

Of the 56 quarterbacks I've worked with, Colin is the most prepared for the NFL," Smith said. "I've never seen the kind of complete package like Colin Kaepernick has.
to me a better question is--game tied 31-31--all out blitz, Kaep makes the quick throw to Crabs, does Alex make that quick throw too or does he get sacked, throw it away, try a dump off?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
to me a better question is--game tied 31-31--all out blitz, Kaep makes the quick throw to Crabs, does Alex make that quick throw too or does he get sacked, throw it away, try a dump off?

Sure he makes the throw... It is not like all Alex Smith did was dump it off or throw it away....
Originally posted by PineNut:
Arm strength is great to have, not that the great QB's have needed it. So while it's an interesting topic, arm strength is just part of the equation.

During the 2011 NFL combine, it was reported that Kap had the strongest arm, just over Mallett, then Newton.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/28/source-radar-gun-says-kaepernick-had-combines-strongest-arm/

And I've posted this before, but Chip Smith was a trainer for both Kap and Cam Newton. And he said Kap throws harder (I also read in the past that Smith said how Kap's throws "whistle" when he throws them, but can't find the link now). But to me, the velocity stuff is less significant than when Chip Smith said:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f54896/article/kaepernick-holds-slight-athletic-edge-over-newton-trainer-says

Of the 56 quarterbacks I've worked with, Colin is the most prepared for the NFL," Smith said. "I've never seen the kind of complete package like Colin Kaepernick has.

Good post.
60MPH thats all im sayin
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Ive seen RGIII connect on some BOMBS this year. Like 65-70 yards of air in a game

They need to keep RGIII in the pocket more. He's not going to last if they keep running him like that. He's a good pocket passer.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Please, a little discipline.

No need to bring Alex Smith into a discussion of Kaepernick's arm strength.
Not even the biggest rifle on the squad... Ice Ice Baby.
Maiocco had a video of one of his tosses on CSN Bay Area, but the link is dead.

Wikipedia: He played rugby league growing up in Samoa.[1] Isaac also attributes his strong throwing arm, reportedly being able to throw the ball 78 yards flat footed, to throwing 1-2 pound rocks at coconuts up to 70 feet high hanging from the trees. He would eventually develop enough strength and accuracy to knock down five or six coconuts in a matter of five minutes according to his own account.

ProFootballPost: San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh was asked a question about defensive tackle Isaac Sopoaga throwing the football when he hijacked his own press conference today.

Sopoaga, you see, can reportedly throw the football about 70 yards in the air. He's got a terrific throwing motion, particularly for a defensive lineman, and can flat out wing the ball.
Originally posted by niners_guy:

Wikipedia: He played rugby league growing up in Samoa.[1] Isaac also attributes his strong throwing arm, reportedly being able to throw the ball 78 yards flat footed, to throwing 1-2 pound rocks at coconuts up to 70 feet high hanging from the trees. He would eventually develop enough strength and accuracy to knock down five or six coconuts in a matter of five minutes according to his own account.

ProFootballPost: San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh was asked a question about defensive tackle Isaac Sopoaga throwing the football when he hijacked his own press conference today.

Sopoaga, you see, can reportedly throw the football about 70 yards in the air. He's got a terrific throwing motion, particularly for a defensive lineman, and can flat out wing the ball.

Time to draw up the trick play. Kaep hands it to Manningham, Manningham tosses it to Sopoaga???!!! Sopoaga throws it hes got a man down field. Alex Boone with the TD!
Originally posted by goldstandard333:
Originally posted by niners_guy:

Time to draw up the trick play. Kaep hands it to Manningham, Manningham tosses it to Sopoaga???!!! Sopoaga throws it hes got a man down field. Alex Boone with the TD!

Theres something special about this team. Not just in 49er history but this team is one of the greatest ever top to bottom.

Originally posted by buck:

Please, a little discipline.

No need to bring Alex Smith into a discussion of Kaepernick's arm strength.

Who's Alex Smith, did he play with Tom Brandy for the Rough Riders at Grey Cup?
Top 5 for sure. They need to bring those QB challenges back. Those were fun to watch and the players looked like they had a good time
I never saw it but i have heard he can throw in the 85 yard range. I remember back in the day in those qb competitions bret farve could throw 83-84 yards. He has a favre like arm. Only way more accurate.
With Kaep, you can't stop our passing game with man coverage. Kaep will destroy it. FINALLY! No need to rely on well designed shot plays to move the ball!!
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
Theres something special about this team. Not just in 49er history but this team is one of the greatest ever top to bottom.

They need to proove that by winning the Super Bowl.
Share 49ersWebzone