LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

5 fumbles and a pick

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Haters gonna hate! Kap is going to keep getting better. Weather, patriots, tom brady, december, east coast...our 49ers just did that! Superbowl or bust! Go 9ers!!
Originally posted by vaden:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Our defense is a hell of a lot better than thiers...but yes, that is true. The first half was amazing...it is hard to put Brady on his heels like that.

He outplayed Brady in Brady's house. It was a huge game by Kaepernick, Niner fans might be talking about it for many years to come.

You wouldn't be saying that if we'd only recovered 2 of Kaep's 4 fumbles and thus lost the game. This game was won because of lucky bounces. We can't depend on luck to win a SB. I hope Kaep and the coaching staff aren't dismissing the fumbles like so many here are. It's a serious problem.

Nope not buying that one, damn near everybody on the field was fumbling tonight including the patriots, Kap hasnt had a problem fumbling the snap in any of the games leading up to this one, leave it to fans like you to create an imaginary fumbling epidemic. oh, and I think the giants got a few lucky bounces last year, and last time I checked they were defending superbowl champs
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rollininers:
First of all I think it was messed up on how Smith lost his job, but I am begining to see why. Kap has better arm and legs. Harbaugh thinks colin can be taught how not to lose the game. Kaep allows the playbook more versatile with the read option. They ran it so much today u can see the defense afraid of him running it. People are going gonna hate unless he wins a sb.

agreed. I like Smith, BUT if you cant see the difference between him and Kaep you are either blind or biased. One thing that I completely overlooked during the Smith tenure was how much more effective a player can be after the catch the quicker the ball get to them. There is typically just more space because the defender doesn't have as much time to react and I think that is a big advantage CK brings. I would be curious to see what our RAC is with Smith and Kaepernick at QB.

I for one was totally confident after the LMJ return that Kaep would make a play... I thought it would be with his legs, but regardless, thats the "IT" factor that he has and Smith does not.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by hofer36:
the people that seem overly sensitive to any meaningful crtique of kaerpernick's play dont seem to get that bringing smith into the equation just brings on more scrutiny of kaepernick

i feel it is right to praise kaepernick for what i think was his best game, despite the botched snaps and the interception..but if you want to take a pot shot at smith then you need to hear that kaerpernick had some problems tonite which may end up costing the niners in the playoffs

*an overthrow of davis for a sure td
*davis only 1 catch in entire game--still no kaerper-chemistry
*the 4 tds were vs one of the worst pass defenses in the league--
*none of the passes tonite for tds were into particularly tight windows--on the 1st moss and wlaker had both beaten the coverage, no one tried to pick up walker until it was way too late---and the td to crabtree to seal win was low, so that crabtree's going down and forward for the ball helped him move out of the grasp of the tackler
* 3 and out in 3rd quarter more than once to allow pats back into the game

im done with these points, ready to move on, go on record that i still feel that harbaugh made the wrong choice in making the qb switch but that i cant do anything but accept it and root for niners this year to go to the big game and for smith to hook up with a good team in 2013 (btw the way goldson is playing i dont think smith's salary is going to be enough to resign him)---if the usual suspects still feel the need to prop kaepernick by bashing smith, you can debate it with others

Overthrow to Davis. -- That was a rough one. Missed him by about two feet. Would have been huge. However, in the past, we rarely even ATTEMPT a pass like that. Vernon was running directly away from Kaep on a line. He had no angle whatsoever to tell how fast he was running. That is the toughest throw a quarterback can attempt. Nice to see that we at least tried to hit it.

Davis; one catch. -- Kaep looks to his receivers a lot. Notice the word "receiver"? That is their job, to receive. Vernon Davis used to be our ONLY real threat. Now, everyone on the field has a chance to be a threat.

The 4 TDs are "only because of..." -- Excuses for throwing four touchdowns, sound a lot better than excuses for NOT throwing four touchdowns. Don't you think?

None of the passes... -- Again, see above. Plus, the throw to Crabtree was low, but it got to him FAST, giving him enough space to make a move. Also, it's much easier to make a move after a slightly low pass, then make a move after having to leap high into the air to catch a pass with your fingertips. Plus, the tight 60mph throw to Crabtree right between two defenders was noticed by more than just the TV crew, even if you did not see it.

3 n' out in 3rd quarter -- As if we never had problems with 3 n' outs in the past? Also, Kaep does not play on defense, so he couldn't do anything about the Patriots scoring points.

A particularly intelligent response, Thank you! NINERS! Let us also not forget the 3n out in the 3rd was mostly/partly due to Roman putting the O into a shell coz, well Niners have the lead and let's run up the gut.. Same for Fangio going Zone and allowing Brady to take the 5-8yrd pass at will, that opens up the deeper pass palys..

TX again BGO
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pick6:
Originally posted by Rollininers:
First of all I think it was messed up on how Smith lost his job, but I am begining to see why. Kap has better arm and legs. Harbaugh thinks colin can be taught how not to lose the game. Kaep allows the playbook more versatile with the read option. They ran it so much today u can see the defense afraid of him running it. People are going gonna hate unless he wins a sb.

agreed. I like Smith, BUT if you cant see the difference between him and Kaep you are either blind or biased. One thing that I completely overlooked during the Smith tenure was how much more effective a player can be after the catch the quicker the ball get to them. There is typically just more space because the defender doesn't have as much time to react and I think that is a big advantage CK brings. I would be curious to see what our RAC is with Smith and Kaepernick at QB.

According to this, through 13 games our avg. RAC was 2.3 with Alex and 1.6 with Kaep. Alex's average pass went 5.7 yards through the air and his ypa was 8.0. Kaep's average pass went 6.7 yards through the air and his ypa before this game was 8.3. Although this doesn't factor in completion pct.
[ Edited by vaden on Dec 17, 2012 at 12:50 AM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Good lord some of you guys take everything as an attack, chill out. Kap played really great today but also made a lot of mistakes that need to be addressed. Had one of those fumbles gone the other way we would have been in a different situation. Weather is not an excuse, football is played outside and we need to function in the rain.

I guarante that the coaches and CK are not happy about those fumbles.

This! I hate this fckin' mentality that if you criticize Kaep, you're an Alex Smith lover and Kaep hater and if you criticize Alex - you're an Alex Smith hater. WTF?!? Kaep played a good game but he can't be fumbling snaps that many times in a game. In fact, it should hardly ever happen.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Good lord some of you guys take everything as an attack, chill out. Kap played really great today but also made a lot of mistakes that need to be addressed. Had one of those fumbles gone the other way we would have been in a different situation. Weather is not an excuse, football is played outside and we need to function in the rain.

I guarante that the coaches and CK are not happy about those fumbles.

This! I hate this fckin' mentality that if you criticize Kaep, you're an Alex Smith lover and Kaep hater and if you criticize Alex - you're an Alex Smith hater. WTF?!? Kaep played a good game but he can't be fumbling snaps that many times in a game. In fact, it should hardly ever happen.

i've said it many times already, he had a great game but needs to work on getting clean snaps. more time with goodwin? that's easily fixable, big picture is that the sky's the limit for him
Originally posted by mkmasn:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by kray28:
Most of the fumbles happened under center....the shotgun/pistol snaps were fine. In fairness to Kap, I think Goodwin deserves some measure of the blame.

yup

Colin was starting his drop back before the ball was snapped. He also doesn't sit very low when set. He's also a lot taller than our previous QB. I'm willing to split some of the blame, but at some point, they should have been trying to figure this out on the sidelines...

He's not taller than our previous QB at all! In Kap's defense everyone and their mom were fumbling at this game. I do agree that the sky is the limit.
the center exchange is horriffic for an NFL team....

to many bad snaps....they have problems out of the shotgun too.

I don't think its an anti CK thing or anti center thing....but it has to be fixed
The Center - QB exchange can't be this bad. We aren't going to always recover this many of them and run some in for TD's. This will cost us big in the playoffs. No reason for it to be this bad.

It was weird being at that game. We were killing the Pats and hten we were not killing the pats. We also fared better with the miscues in the first half on O than in the second half playing fairly well. Kaeper had a great game overall. He managed the clock very well last night and was not rattled. He needs to work on the center exchange this week.
I think Goodwin was more worried about getting to his blocking assignment, than getting the ball to his qb's hands.
Originally posted by hofer36:
the people that seem overly sensitive to any meaningful crtique of kaerpernick's play dont seem to get that bringing smith into the equation just brings on more scrutiny of kaepernick

i feel it is right to praise kaepernick for what i think was his best game, despite the botched snaps and the interception..but if you want to take a pot shot at smith then you need to hear that kaerpernick had some problems tonite which may end up costing the niners in the playoffs

*an overthrow of davis for a sure td
*davis only 1 catch in entire game--still no kaerper-chemistry
*the 4 tds were vs one of the worst pass defenses in the league--
*none of the passes tonite for tds were into particularly tight windows--on the 1st moss and wlaker had both beaten the coverage, no one tried to pick up walker until it was way too late---and the td to crabtree to seal win was low, so that crabtree's going down and forward for the ball helped him move out of the grasp of the tackler
* 3 and out in 3rd quarter more than once to allow pats back into the game

im done with these points, ready to move on, go on record that i still feel that harbaugh made the wrong choice in making the qb switch but that i cant do anything but accept it and root for niners this year to go to the big game and for smith to hook up with a good team in 2013 (btw the way goldson is playing i dont think smith's salary is going to be enough to resign him)---if the usual suspects still feel the need to prop kaepernick by bashing smith, you can debate it with others

This is why Smith gets brought up because several people criticizing Kaep are guys who want Smith to start, including the OP.
I love that he kept so calm and answered the tie with a clutch go ahead td and sucked the wind out of ne. Too much good to highlight mistakes.
Its really one mistake repeated. Kap needs to practice getting the snap from under center extensively. Especially so with adverse conditions. If I were coach I would have him taking snaps all week long and have a equipment guy prep the balls to emulate different conditions..water em down, put a few in a freezer. Its a systemic glitch...but it can be fixed.
Share 49ersWebzone