LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 153 users in the forums

5 fumbles and a pick

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by vaden:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Show me the game with Alex where half our drives started in enemy territory. I doubt it's ever happened, let alone been typical.

I'll show you the stat that we were #1 in field position last year and led the league in turnovers.

Great, but our average field position with Alex doesn't compare to our favorable field position in this game. It's a ridiculous comparison.

Don't discount Colin's play just because of field position... he made some great reads and throws. Just some mistakes that luckily didn't cost us the game. Any one of those fumbles or even that second pick could have literally lost this game.

Would also like to see him check out of runs when they show a blitz in the gap Gore is supposed to be hitting...
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by hofer36:
the people that seem overly sensitive to any meaningful crtique of kaerpernick's play dont seem to get that bringing smith into the equation just brings on more scrutiny of kaepernick

i feel it is right to praise kaepernick for what i think was his best game, despite the botched snaps and the interception..but if you want to take a pot shot at smith then you need to hear that kaerpernick had some problems tonite which may end up costing the niners in the playoffs

*an overthrow of davis for a sure td
*davis only 1 catch in entire game--still no kaerper-chemistry
*the 4 tds were vs one of the worst pass defenses in the league--
*none of the passes tonite for tds were into particularly tight windows--on the 1st moss and wlaker had both beaten the coverage, no one tried to pick up walker until it was way too late---and the td to crabtree to seal win was low, so that crabtree's going down and forward for the ball helped him move out of the grasp of the tackler
* 3 and out in 3rd quarter more than once to allow pats back into the game

im done with these points, ready to move on, go on record that i still feel that harbaugh made the wrong choice in making the qb switch but that i cant do anything but accept it and root for niners this year to go to the big game and for smith to hook up with a good team in 2013 (btw the way goldson is playing i dont think smith's salary is going to be enough to resign him)---if the usual suspects still feel the need to prop kaepernick by bashing smith, you can debate it with others

this is the worst analysis i've ever read

and your comment is so illuminating--why dont you tell me where im wrong? maybe my stats are not up to date and the pats have the best pass defense in the league --i dont think...maybe davis caught more than 1 pass and i missed it--cmon share your wisdom with me

it's a completely slanted, biased analysis

all the talk coming into the game was how much the new england defense had improved, how belichick would scheme colin to death. he threw 4 TDs against the number #1 team in the league @NE. "none of his passes were into tight windows" are you kidding me?

if you wanna criticize him (and i know you're dying to), his fumbled snaps are a legit problem. he needs to get that s**t corrected. but all in all the positives GREATLY outweigh the negatives.

i thought so
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Great, but our average field position with Alex doesn't compare to our favorable field position in this game. It's a ridiculous comparison.

No, it's just an excuse for you to justify his 4 passing touchdowns. Alex has benefitted from those circumstances a million times as well.

You guys were raving about his qb rating and I simply pointed out the fact that it doesn't account for fumbles or starting field position. Not sorry if you have a problem with that.
[ Edited by vaden on Dec 16, 2012 at 11:31 PM ]
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mkmasn:
Show me the game with Alex where half our drives started in enemy territory. I doubt it's ever happened, let alone been typical.

I'll show you the stat that we were #1 in field position last year and led the league in turnovers.

Don't discount Colin's play just because of field position... he made some great reads and throws. Just some mistakes that luckily didn't cost us the game. Any one of those fumbles or even that second pick could have literally lost this game.

Would also like to see him check out of runs when they show a blitz in the gap Gore is supposed to be hitting...

No question he made great throws and, minus the fumbles, played great overall.
Originally posted by jreff22:
it could be cold and raining next week in Sea

And the end of the world could happen this Friday. Until the freak performance happens twice...excuse me if I think it's more extraordinary to throw 4 td's in the freezing rain than to have trouble hanging onto the ball. As you recall..there were several people having trouble hanging onto the ball. But there was only one guy who threw for 4 td's...and it wasn't the best QB to play the game who was on the other sidelines. He had more pics than scores
the people that seem overly sensitive to any meaningful crtique of kaerpernick's play dont seem to get that bringing smith into the equation just brings on more scrutiny of kaepernick

i feel it is right to praise kaepernick for what i think was his best game, despite the botched snaps and the interception..but if you want to take a pot shot at smith then you need to hear that kaerpernick had some problems tonite which may end up costing the niners in the playoffs

*none of the passes tonite for tds were into particularly tight windows--on the 1st moss and wlaker had both beaten the coverage, no one tried to pick up walker until it was way too late---and the td to crabtree to seal win was low, so that crabtree's going down and forward for the ball helped him move out of the grasp of the tackler

im done with these points, ready to move on, go on record that i still feel that harbaugh made the wrong choice in making the qb switch but that i cant do anything but accept it and root for niners this year to go to the big game and for smith to hook up with a good team in 2013 (btw the way goldson is playing i dont think smith's salary is going to be enough to resign him)---if the usual suspects still feel the need to prop kaepernick by bashing smith, you can debate it with others

Overthrow to Davis. -- That was a rough one. Missed him by about two feet. Would have been huge. However, in the past, we rarely even ATTEMPT a pass like that. Vernon was running directly away from Kaep on a line. He had no angle whatsoever to tell how fast he was running. That is the toughest throw a quarterback can attempt. Nice to see that we at least tried to hit it.

Davis; one catch. -- Kaep looks to his receivers a lot. Notice the word "receiver"? That is their job, to receive. Vernon Davis used to be our ONLY real threat. Now, everyone on the field has a chance to be a threat.

The 4 TDs are "only because of..." -- Excuses for throwing four touchdowns, sound a lot better than excuses for NOT throwing four touchdowns. Don't you think?

None of the passes... -- Again, see above. Plus, the throw to Crabtree was low, but it got to him FAST, giving him enough space to make a move. Also, it's much easier to make a move after a slightly low pass, then make a move after having to leap high into the air to catch a pass with your fingertips. Plus, the tight 60mph throw to Crabtree right between two defenders was noticed by more than just the TV crew, even if you did not see it.

3 n' out in 3rd quarter -- As if we never had problems with 3 n' outs in the past? Also, Kaep does not play on defense, so he couldn't do anything about the Patriots scoring points.
You guys were raving about his qb rating and I simply pointed out the fact that it doesn't account for fumbles or starting field position. Not sorry if you have a problem with that.

And some of that great field position was squandered as well. Delanie fumble, missed field goal, failed 4th down conversion.

You don't put up 41 points without turnovers and special teams play.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Most of the fumbles happened under center....the shotgun/pistol snaps were fine. In fairness to Kap, I think Goodwin deserves some measure of the blame.
Originally posted by kray28:
Most of the fumbles happened under center....the shotgun/pistol snaps were fine. In fairness to Kap, I think Goodwin deserves some measure of the blame.

yup

Originally posted by BrianGO:

Overthrow to Davis. -- That was a rough one. Missed him by about two feet. Would have been huge. However, in the past, we rarely even ATTEMPT a pass like that. Vernon was running directly away from Kaep on a line. He had no angle whatsoever to tell how fast he was running. That is the toughest throw a quarterback can attempt. Nice to see that we at least tried to hit it.

Davis; one catch. -- Kaep looks to his receivers a lot. Notice the word "receiver"? That is their job, to receive. Vernon Davis used to be our ONLY real threat. Now, everyone on the field has a chance to be a threat.

The 4 TDs are "only because of..." -- Excuses for throwing four touchdowns, sound a lot better than excuses for NOT throwing four touchdowns. Don't you think?

None of the passes... -- Again, see above. Plus, the throw to Crabtree was low, but it got to him FAST, giving him enough space to make a move. Also, it's much easier to make a move after a slightly low pass, then make a move after having to leap high into the air to catch a pass with your fingertips. Plus, the tight 60mph throw to Crabtree right between two defenders was noticed by more than just the TV crew, even if you did not see it.

3 n' out in 3rd quarter -- As if we never had problems with 3 n' outs in the past? Also, Kaep does not play on defense, so he couldn't do anything about the Patriots scoring points.

best part of 2nd td to crabtree was that kaerpernick recognized the blitz and that the db had no help and got him the ball

as far as the receivers, kaepernick has chemistry with crabtree, but moss had no catches after 1st drive--i dont think any others did fir entire game--will be interesting to see what happens if richard sherman can outmuscle crabtree next week and take him out of game, if kaerpernick can get something going wiith the other receivers
First of all I think it was messed up on how Smith lost his job, but I am begining to see why. Kap has better arm and legs. Harbaugh thinks colin can be taught how not to lose the game. Kaep allows the playbook more versatile with the read option. They ran it so much today u can see the defense afraid of him running it. People are going gonna hate unless he wins a sb.

yup

Colin was starting his drop back before the ball was snapped. He also doesn't sit very low when set. He's also a lot taller than our previous QB. I'm willing to split some of the blame, but at some point, they should have been trying to figure this out on the sidelines...
Originally posted by mkmasn:

yup

Colin was starting his drop back before the ball was snapped. He also doesn't sit very low when set. He's also a lot taller than our previous QB. I'm willing to split some of the blame, but at some point, they should have been trying to figure this out on the sidelines...

its obvious due to colin's lack of experience under center + the rain, that he deserves most of the blame. though i think kray is right, goodwin deserves some too
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Jesus - why turn this into Alex Smith thread? Kaep played terrific...and he is a young QB and I've no problems with that INT he threw. He will learn from it and will only get better. We have 2 more games before playoffs start - and I expect him to be a better QB in 3 weeks. Love the kid.

At the same time, the OP brought up a good topic. Too many fumbles. He needs to fix it, and I expect him to. This is something the coaching staff needs to make sure doesn't happen again. There is a decent chance that it will be raining in Seattle next week and it may very well be raining in playoffs in San Francisco. Our D was amazing for the first 40 minutes of the game - and we can't expect them to play like that in every game. We were fortunate to not lose any of those fumbles.

Kaep is our QB and he should be our QB. It is not going to change unless an injury forces Harbaugh's hand. We have a good shot at Superbowl THIS year, and that means (fairly or unfairly) - Kaep has to grow quickly and limit his mistakes.

Let's go Niners! Let's go Kaep!

This. Kaep will definitely work on the exchange this week and I expect that to be ironed out by Sunday night.

Thank you for getting it.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Dec 17, 2012 at 12:05 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone