There are 274 users in the forums

Conservative coaching almost cost us game!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
They did this in both st. louis games as well. We need to keep playing to score points. I am willing to bet our 3rd down % in the second half is no bueno since Kap has been in charge.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mkmasn:
Originally posted by kray28:
It will be conveniently forgotten and no lesson will be learned because this was a win.

Alas, this.
Originally posted by vaden:
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
this is typical niner talk. Stop b***hing and enjoy the win.

Did we win the SB? Plenty of things that still need fixing.

Yeah, we were outgained by 137 yards and had a series of ridiculously lucky bounces that swung the entire game. The win is awesome but I think we'll have to play much better to win at Seattle and secure the bye, let alone win the SB. The Pats sure didn't come out of this game afraid of us or even thinking we're the better team.

Roman, Akers, Walker, and Ginn can all stay in Boston
Originally posted by SJniner7:
They did this in both st. louis games as well. We need to keep playing to score points. I am willing to bet our 3rd down % in the second half is no bueno since Kap has been in charge.

It has nothing to with Kaep! Kaep did amazing, need I keep mentioning 4 touchdowns! (has Alex Smith ever done that in his 8 years in the league?)

It is playcalling that results from Jim Harbaugh being too comfortable with a 21 point lead at halftime!

Tom Brady is arguably (I said arguably people...) the greatest quarterback of all time!
Originally posted by redrathman:
Harbaugh managed the game perfectly. When they needed Kaepernick to make the throw and regain the lead, he did.

They ran the ball three consecutive times just twice. In both instances, the game clock was under 5:00. In the end, the time ran off and timeouts forced led to the Patriots simply running out of time.

No, he didnt. 8 seconds left in the first half with a TO on the 5, and we run straight up the gut. That should have been a pass attempt to seal the game.

That drive started on the SF 22 and took 6 minutes off the clock. The objective is to run the clock out and get points. Harbaugh had eight seconds and four yards to go. If you pass, you risk a sack or turnover. Gore had run for 29 yards on three carries leading up to the that play.

I bet if he had to do it over again, he'd give the rock to Gore.
Originally posted by SneakySniper:
It has nothing to with Kaep! Kaep did amazing, need I keep mentioning 4 touchdowns! (has Alex Smith ever done that in his 8 years in the league?)

It is playcalling that results from Jim Harbaugh being too comfortable with a 21 point lead at halftime!

Tom Brady is arguably (I said arguably people...) the greatest quarterback of all time!

Smith: threw 3 and ran one in during the NFC divisional playoffs last year.

In any event, this was a good game that didn't need to be this close, but that's football.
Originally posted by Igotta:
Super scary! I hate the zone prevent against elite QB's. I'm fine with it against the bottom two thirds of the NFL, but Brady/Manning/Manning/Brees/Rodgers? No thanks.
That was the worst part, it was like Manusky with his "Prevent.....you from winning" defense all over again. Man on man has been working well all game, let's switch it up, go to a 3 man rush and give Brady all day back there to make passes. That really got them going and once they got the momentum...well...all I can say is THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU LaMichael James.

They should have kept attacking, kept getting in Brady's face, by switching to the zone, they allowed for long drives, thereby wearing out the defense and letting New England get as close as they did.

You can put 10 defensive backs out there against a QB like Brady, and if you give him plenty of time to pick his target, he'll beat you over and over.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 16, 2012 at 10:06 PM ]
Originally posted by SealTeam6:

Did we win the SB? Plenty of things that still need fixing.

Harbaugh managed the game perfectly. When they needed Kaepernick to make the throw and regain the lead, he did.

They ran the ball three consecutive times just twice. In both instances, the game clock was under 5:00. In the end, the time ran off and timeouts forced led to the Patriots simply running out of time.

No, he didnt. 8 seconds left in the first half with a TO on the 5, and we run straight up the gut. That should have been a pass attempt to seal the game.

That drive started on the SF 22 and took 6 minutes off the clock. The objective is to run the clock out and get points. Harbaugh had eight seconds and four yards to go. If you pass, you risk a sack or turnover. Gore had run for 29 yards on three carries leading up to the that play.

I bet if he had to do it over again, he'd give the rock to Gore.

And? A turnover in the end zone with 3 seconds on the clock is worth 7 points and virtually sealing the game away. Conservative is fine -- unless you can put the game out of reach.

Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:

In any event, this was a good game that didn't need to be this close, but that's football.

The Saints game did not need to be close either, but apparently you want to ignore that.

The point I am trying to make is that the play-calling in the second half was too conservative.

And by the way, Smith got those stats playing until the end. If Kaep had the chance to score more with more passing play calls, he would have had 6 touchdowns and 500 yards, lets not count the dropped passes.

The Saints game did not need to be close either, but apparently you want to ignore that.

The point I am trying to make is that the play-calling in the second half was too conservative.

And by the way, Smith got those stats playing until the end. If Kaep had the chance to score more with more passing play calls, he would have had 6 touchdowns and 500 yards, lets not count the dropped passes.

Six touchdowns and 500 yards? Are you for real?

Why the hell are you turning this into a Smith vs Kaep thread?

Conservative coaching. Thread title.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Janitor:

You guys know it's true.

This isn't about this game. I think we need to be more aggressive with the lead.
Originally posted by Garcia:
You guys know it's true.

This isn't about this game. I think we need to be more aggressive with the lead.

Yea, really wished we had gone for that TD before the half. Letting their D put up a stop almost cost us the game. We were basically unstoppable the first half. We needed them to go into their locker room completely deflated. They came out pumped in the second half.
Share 49ersWebzone