There are 120 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Anthony Davis might lose his job next year

Originally posted by ninergold:
Davis is still a kid and has improved dramatically since he started with us. Smith took sacks, rather than chance a pick, so the stats need to be looked at with that in mind.

Four of his sacks came in a game with CK at QB...does that change your opinion? Six are spread over the year so it seems Smith was not a problem for Davis. I think the post comparing Matthews game against Staley is a good one. I'm not defending AD but without more facts it's hard to blame him for a bad game. Was he dinged? Did Boone have to help Goodwin more? Many questions I would have.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM ]
Originally posted by nickbradley:
If it weren't for the Bowman steal, that draft is a disaster.

Wah? We got an All-Pro in the 3rd round in Bowman and you want to leave him out of the conversation to call our draft that year a disaster?

Craziness. We also got Iupati in the first and Kyle Williams in the friggin' 6th, not mention a very solid special teams contributor in Dixon in the 6th, and Philip Adams - who iirc is starting for Oakland this year -- in the 6th.

You're free to like Anthony Davis or not, but save for the one big whiff on Mays, calling that draft a disaster is just crazy.
[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on Dec 15, 2012 at 11:17 AM ]
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

Wah? We got an All-Pro in the 3rd round in Bowman and you want to leave him out of the conversation to call our draft that year a disaster?

Craziness. We also got Iupati in the first and Kyle Williams in the friggin' 6th, not mention a very solid special teams contributor in Dixon in the 6th, and Philip Adams - who iirc is starting for Oakland this year -- in the 6th.

You're free to like Anthony Davis or not, but save for the one big whiff on Mays, calling that draft a disaster is just crazy.

I seen Mays playing quite a bit the other day as well. Not sure if he is a starter, but he was out there a lot.
Staley is the weakest part of the o line. Him and Goodwin
Won't happen - you can take that to the bank or where-ever.
It should be obvious that many of our sacks this year, from both QBs, have happened because they are trained to not take risks. Therefore, if no one is open just eat it. If the QB is in the pocket, they have to get the ball near a WR and that risk is too big for this team. Consequently, those sack rate numbers are deceiving. I like this o line and I like Davis. Keep them together and they will gel together. Also, he is a good blocker in the run game.
hhaha what?

Our Oline is solid. Not the best, but definitely top in the league,

AD isn't going anywhere for a long time.
WTF
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Because the Cowboys are the be all end all of draft prospects? There were more than one team that had him as a first round prospect.

The cowboys are whack, but I think they were right about Davis. They were definitely right about Bowman being a first round talent. Too bad for them they weren't smart enough to take him in round 1 or 2 though, LOL.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

I seen Mays playing quite a bit the other day as well. Not sure if he is a starter, but he was out there a lot.

Yep. IIRC Nate Byham is also one the gameday roster and gets snaps for the Bucs. That leaves, well, nobody.
All of our starting OL are good players. I'm thinking many of the problems again go back to coaching and offensive philosophy. When Alex Smith was QB our coaches didn't need to devise a very complicated team/zone blocking scheme because very few passes ever go over 10 yards so our OL was never asked to hold their blocks for very long. The majority of coaching was spent on elaborate RUN blocking using traps and pulls etc.

So when we make the switch over to CK and our OL line DOES have to hold their blocks longer to make the intermediate pass naturally they'll struggle....this doesn't surprise me one bit.

Where does the pressure lie? Firmly on the shoulders of Jim Harbaugh. I'm praying that he's not too stubborn to shrug his shoulders and say "oh well...no biggie because we'll always be a run first team." For the first time, chinks in the Jim Harbaugh coaching style are starting to emerge. If he's a good coach he'll recognize the problems and fix them. If he's stubborn and stays status quo then we are in trouble.
[ Edited by pete98146 on Dec 15, 2012 at 12:22 PM ]
Originally posted by pete98146:
All of our starting OL are good players. I'm thinking many of the problems again go back to coaching and offensive philosophy. When Alex Smith was QB our coaches didn't need to devise a very complicated team/zone blocking scheme because very few passes ever go over 10 yards so our OL was never asked to hold their blocks for very long. The majority of coaching was spent on elaborate RUN blocking using traps and pulls etc.

So when we make the switch over to CK and our OL line DOES have to hold their blocks longer to make the intermediate pass naturally they'll struggle....this doesn't surprise me one bit.

Where does the pressure lie? Firmly on the shoulders of Jim Harbaugh. I'm praying that he's not too stubborn to shrug his shoulders and say "oh well...no biggie because we'll always be a run first team." For the first time, chinks in the Jim Harbaugh coaching style are starting to emerge. If he's a good coach he'll recognize the problems and fix them. If he's stubborn and stays status quo then we are in trouble.

This seems backwards to me...the line couldn't hold long enough to allow passes down the field very often so Smith tended to dump off on shorter routes. It is happening with CK as well so I doubt the problem is QB centric.

The bold seems looney to me. You assume Smith can't throw long or medium so the line is taught not to block well? Really? Now with a stronger arm CK you think it only natural that the line, who was taught not to hold long on pass plays, has difficulty learning to do so? Wow.

If I have misunderstood your post, my apologies.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 15, 2012 at 12:28 PM ]
Yes, and that BOLD PREDICTION of Joe Staley being traded will also come to pass.

Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
OK Mike Singletary..

Anthony Davis is having a GREAT year

man you make some terrible threads.

Yep, he's only allowed 10 sacks this year and Lord knows how many pressures
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
This seems backwards to me...the line couldn't hold long enough to allow passes down the field very often so Smith tended to dump off on shorter routes. It is happening with CK as well so I doubt the problem is QB centric.

The bold seems looney to me. You assume Smith can't throw long or medium so the line is taught not to block well? Really? Now with a stronger arm CK you think it only natural that the line, who was taught not to hold long on pass plays, has difficulty learning to do so? Wow.

If I have misunderstood your post, my apologies.

I think we are splitting hairs. Fact of the matter is that our offensive line must learn how to hold their blocks as a unit much better than they are this year.