LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Anthony Davis might lose his job next year

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Looking at film, it appears that Anthony Davis is the weak link on offense. We are dead last in adjusted sack rate, and much of that falls on Davis.

I would not be surprised if Boone takes his RT job in camp, with Davis being kicked inside, or Davis losing his starting role entirely with Looney getting in there.

when you're dead last, it can't get any worse...
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
He could also be potentially traded to a team like Oakland for a 4th or 5th round pick. If we snag an interior offensive line - like a Barrett Jones - we can kick Boone at RT.

LT: Staley
LG: Iupati
C: Jones
RG: Kilgore
RT: Boone
So only now are people starting to see AD's pass pro weakness?

Just two months ago, many were pumping him as an elite, top 5 tackle.

Lets change the O-line every year, so that they have no chance to gel and get better.
and in 2014 we should move Boone back to guard, so we can change the O-line again.
I've always thought he was a lousy pass blocker. That's why the cowboys have him a third round grade.

thanks Mr. Singletary. If it weren't for the Bowman steal, that draft is a disaster.
He's still young,the guard move may not be a bad idea. I'm not a big fan of Staley either, maybe we can find a new home for him too.
I confess I see center as the vulnerability this year.
You guys should contact the dude downstairs. Wouldn't budge if a truck hit him. Too much trouble. He could just stand there. Weighs, I'd say close to 320 pounds, smokes like a chimney, drinks like a fish. All of 16. Dumber than a stack of bricks. Be great as a pass blocker.
[ Edited by RogerCraig on Dec 15, 2012 at 7:44 AM ]
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
He's still young,the guard move may not be a bad idea. I'm not a big fan of Staley either, maybe we can find a new home for him too.

I think Staley has very good feet. As he approaches 30, he will get stronger and become a complete tackle

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
So only now are people starting to see AD's pass pro weakness?

Just two months ago, many were pumping him as an elite, top 5 tackle.

Amazing how a change at a non-oline position causes a total re-evaluation of the OLine. Hmm...maybe the OLine isn't as elite as the pundits said? Go figure...there usually so accurate! (sarcasm).

But I agree with English that the center may be a weaker link for the long haul. Can't have a weak middle on pass protection. Davis is still young and has time to learn, Goodwin is on his way down. Some of us wanted to move AD to RG and Boone to RT this year, with a new young center drafted high. Would, coulda, shoulda!
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I've always thought he was a lousy pass blocker. That's why the cowboys have him a third round grade.

thanks Mr. Singletary. If it weren't for the Bowman steal, that draft is a disaster.

Because the Cowboys are the be all end all of draft prospects? There were more than one team that had him as a first round prospect.
He's no worse than Staley in pass protection. I think hes our second best linemen after Iupati.
Barring injury, Davis will be our starting RT next year.
How many players and coaches are we going to throw under the bus to protect our QB? Y'know, guys like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning don't get sacked much, because they get rid of the ball quickly and on-time. Something that neither of our QBs have ever done. With a few exceptions Kap has had more than 3 seconds without pressure per snap, but when you hold the ball for more than 4 seconds on average the O-line is going to look bad, because you're going to get a lot of pressure and sacks.
Share 49ersWebzone