There are 241 users in the forums

Have we dominated a good to very good team like the Pats did these past two years?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
None of this matters. Even if it seems like we're dominating, Harbaugh & Roman won't allow us to run up the score on teams. We should have blew GB and Chicago and Detroit out of the water when we played those teams, I mean the team was real hot offensively. But Harbs & Ro for some reason like to pull the reins back when we're having that kind offensive output. Who knows why?!?!?!?!
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
Ive been trying to go through the wins. A dominating win against a quality opponent....closest i could come was the Bears but i think they were fueled by their freakish turnover ratio earlier and theyre showing theyre just a decent team. Can anyone think of a team like that? And whats our defense gotta do to contain those three TE sets the Pats run?

Tampa Bay. Last year. Blowout. Absolute domination.
Originally posted by kush:
Uh... The bears?

a team qbd by jason campbell cant be called a good team..fact is the niners caught the bears as they were beginning their slide, and they were a mirage anyway as they had built up a record on a bunch of patsies
Have the Pats dominated a really good team? Didn't the Jags put up like 40 on the Texans? I wouldn't consider the Texans a great team right now.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Have the Pats dominated a really good team? Didn't the Jags put up like 40 on the Texans? I wouldn't consider the Texans a great team right now.

So you're saying that the Texans are not a really good team based off of one game WHICH THEY WON?

Could you give us other examples of why you think they're not a really good team right now?
the 49ers play down to their opponets level...
Originally posted by pdizo916:

So you're saying that the Texans are not a really good team based off of one game WHICH THEY WON?

Could you give us other examples of why you think they're not a really good team right now?

They have played no one. The good teams they have played, Patriots and Packers, roasted them.

You sure you still aren't drinking from Sunday
  • Chico
  • Veteran
The 49ers dominate but in a different way. They don't put up the pretty numbers like the Patriots but we just methodically punch the opponent in the face and put them out of their misery. I HOPE & PRAY that we punch the Patriots right in the kisser and someone takes out Belli-cheat!!!

I HATE that team with a passion...whew! ok, sorry for the rant but i'm calm now
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Green Bay and Chicago. We don't need a dominating win tho. We've now beaten the Saints twice in the last 2 years as well.

When the 49ers have faced those big number passers, they have played very well.

Perhaps its because of the great play of the d-line enabling them to sit in nickel formations more often than not and not have to worry (too much) about the run. Aldon then really just gets to pin his ears back and go on every play as a down lineman.

Still....my head says if Brady is playing never pick the other team.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
this core group of Niners play at high level under prime time lights. i don't count last season's Ravens game due to the extra adversity of the thursday night scheduling. we'll compete in NE , no doubt.

The Pats on Sunday night duh.....
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
I think if our offense was more explosive we could kill these teams along the same lines as reflected on the scoreboard.
THIS.

Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Wins are wins.

Someone on the Giants board said that it's important for their team to get these blowout type wins since they are not built to win "17-13 type ballgames". They had a 35-13 lead on the Saints and let it creep up to 35-28. I don't think our team would allow that to happen if we were in the same shoes (I know it happened to us last year against the Saints, but still).

I think Patriots are absolutely one of those teams as well. Green Bay too. That explains their urgency to play so aggressively and put points on the board. That's how these teams win.

When these teams FAIL to score many points, trouble rings in. These teams are better suited for games where both teams are in the high 20s, 30s, 40s.....we, Houston, and Chicago fare way better when the scores are kept below 20.

I think Denver could be the best team in the AFC now, but only if they can keep Brady scoring in check. Denver is kind of a blend of Patriots & Ravens/Texans.

And this.... The Patriots, Packers, Giants and Saints all rely heavily on the "quick score" of their offenses similar to the Rams of 99-2004....
Neither play amazing defense but if you're up 21-0 in the 2nd quarter, you have a good chance of your opponent making several mistakes in desperation.

Conversely, we're not built that way but I strongly believe we COULD put up points in a heartbeat. And our D makes us more likely to win any game... shootout or slugfest, I feel the 49ers and Broncos can survive either style.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
I feel like we roughed the Giants up pretty bad last year in the regular season. The Steelers was a good win last year also. Week 1, Green Bay wasn't full speed but I feel we dominated them. Chicago is a very good team that has just suffered some injuries recently. We thumped em. The score might not have indicated as much but I tend to view "dominance" by whether the opponent is demoralized with their guts spilled on the field, regardless of the score.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

They have played no one. The good teams they have played, Patriots and Packers, roasted them.

You sure you still aren't drinking from Sunday

eh dunno about that. they destroyed the Ravens who killed us in prime time, and beat the Broncos with Manning. Houston are legit. They wont do anything against the Pats in the AFC but theyre legit.

Im not saying we need them i was just wondering if we had any straight blowout victories over an elite opponent.
Originally posted by SaksV:
THIS.

And this.... The Patriots, Packers, Giants and Saints all rely heavily on the "quick score" of their offenses similar to the Rams of 99-2004....
Neither play amazing defense but if you're up 21-0 in the 2nd quarter, you have a good chance of your opponent making several mistakes in desperation.

Conversely, we're not built that way but I strongly believe we COULD put up points in a heartbeat. And our D makes us more likely to win any game... shootout or slugfest, I feel the 49ers and Broncos can survive either style.
this im not sure i agree with. I read an article on NFL.com and saw this about them

"The Texans know that against good teams -- the explosive teams, the kinds of teams they must outlast in the postseason -- they have to play at their pace, set the tempo early and jump out to a quick lead. Why must the Texans start fast? Because, from their system to their personnel, they're designed to play from in front. Their offensive line is built for the play-action pass. When they get behind or face a long third down, they struggle; they have a hard time handling power rushers and keeping the pocket firm and clean.......

Houston's offense is most effective in manageable down-and-distance situations, when the Texans can utilize the threat of Arian Foster running or their well-designed screen game to keep opposing defenses on their heels.

Starting quickly also allows the Texans' pass rushers -- most notably J.J. Watt -- to become a bigger factor. Houston's pass rush can create turnovers, but more importantly, it forces opposing offenses to win one-on-one matchups on the outside."

Just replace their star players names with ours at respective position and it sounds awfully accurate characetization of our team. I dont think were nearly as explosive an offense like NE, GB, NO, DET... those guys can put up points in a heart beat in any situation. Us we NEED to control the clock, control the game. The only time i remember us putting points on the board in a hurry was the Divisional game NO.
Originally posted by SaksV:
I feel like we roughed the Giants up pretty bad last year in the regular season. The Steelers was a good win last year also. Week 1, Green Bay wasn't full speed but I feel we dominated them. Chicago is a very good team that has just suffered some injuries recently. We thumped em. The score might not have indicated as much but I tend to view "dominance" by whether the opponent is demoralized with their guts spilled on the field, regardless of the score.

That Giants game came down to a last second play. we never ha complete control of any game we played against them. just bad matchup if u ask me.

The Steelers i do remember that as a great win but Ben was hubbled really badly, man could hardly wobble in the pocket so that always sticks at me.
Share 49ersWebzone