LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 209 users in the forums

Have we dominated a good to very good team like the Pats did these past two years?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
The niners have never beaten a good team. As soon as they beat a team there are lots of guys coming out of the woodwork to explain why the "good team" was actually a bad team. Happened when Smith was QB and happens now with CK at the helm.

Chicago? Didn't have their QB and were totally incompetent offensively. Green Bay? Nope, SF was only 2 or 9 in third down conversions and GB is over rated!

Always reasons to criticize our team.

lol no no no dtg its never been a question of beating a good team. i have no doubt we can beat any team and with the defense we have i honestly believe we could challenge some of the old great offenses. however...as a sign of dominance im wondering if weve shown that big sign yet. we dominate weaker teams and the next step would be dominating elite teams. ala 49ers, Cowboys of old.
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
The niners have never beaten a good team. As soon as they beat a team there are lots of guys coming out of the woodwork to explain why the "good team" was actually a bad team. Happened when Smith was QB and happens now with CK at the helm.

Chicago? Didn't have their QB and were totally incompetent offensively. Green Bay? Nope, SF was only 2 or 9 in third down conversions and GB is over rated!

Always reasons to criticize our team.

lol no no no dtg its never been a question of beating a good team. i have no doubt we can beat any team and with the defense we have i honestly believe we could challenge some of the old great offenses. however...as a sign of dominance im wondering if weve shown that big sign yet. we dominate weaker teams and the next step would be dominating elite teams. ala 49ers, Cowboys of old.

Yes, yes, yes! Sorry but over the years I have seen immediate negative response no matter the score, not matter the import of the game. The closest I've seen the board to total support was after the NO playoff win, but it took minutes following the game for some to start posting negatives.

It gets old and frankly it is difficult for me to read much on the threads this week. Just a bunch of really asinine criticism of Kaepernick and a similar batch of criticisms of Smith...who isn't even playing for god's sake! When we try to get back to some analysis of the team the very next post puts words in our mouths to say we are bashing someone. Guess it will take more than a few weeks for things to settle down and get rational.

As for beating good teams--the Green Bay game was enough for me to know this team is real. That was a dominant win--23-7 going into the fourth quarter and the team was just coasting for the last twenty minutes of the game.
When was the last time a niner team took a 10 point lead and continued to throw the ball around? 10 12? Years where not that kinda team
Remember last season in the Divisional? What were people saying the week leading up to the game? Brees this, Brees that. The 49ers won't be able to keep up. Blah, blah, blah... They're saying the same thing again this week.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by kush:
Uh... The bears?

The only dominant win against a good team we have had in a LONG time. Since we now know we can do it, let's hope we repeat it against the Pats.

You mean we destroyed a good team without Thier starting qb? I am shocked!

LOL. Great win but it definitely wasn't a dominant win against a good team(minus Cutler).
We put it on Pittsburgh last year. Some could argue that Roethlisberger was playing hurt but they were still a 12-4 team so it was a big win regardless.
Bears game.

I dont think green bay. They were in the game until the 4th.
I think the more interesting question is, "Why don't we knock lousy teams out in the first half?"

The cheap and easy answer is parity, and there's certainly something to that. The bottom dwellers of the league are a lot better than they were in the 80's. Nevertheless, we don't seem to be a team that consistently leaps on teams and puts them away early. I think it's fair to say we still have a habit of playing down to teams, of making it more difficult than it needs to be.

Some will instinctively attempt to lasso my observation into the trite "didn't win pretty" or "wasn't exciting enough" BS. That's not what I'm getting at. The turning point for the 80's teams is when they started burying teams early. That's when they started to think they were invincible, and then they started piling up Super Bowls.

This team missed its Super Bowl XVI...but it can still get the war machine rolling quicker than the Dynasty teams managed.
Originally posted by forty9ers:
the 49ers play down to their opponets level...

this

true dat, to the max....However they also play up to an opponents level. This is what I expect to see this Sunday evening..NINERS!
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Dec 13, 2012 at 5:24 AM ]
Da Bears this year, sans cutler

Yes, yes, yes! Sorry but over the years I have seen immediate negative response no matter the score, not matter the import of the game. The closest I've seen the board to total support was after the NO playoff win, but it took minutes following the game for some to start posting negatives.

It gets old and frankly it is difficult for me to read much on the threads this week. Just a bunch of really asinine criticism of Kaepernick and a similar batch of criticisms of Smith...who isn't even playing for god's sake! When we try to get back to some analysis of the team the very next post puts words in our mouths to say we are bashing someone. Guess it will take more than a few weeks for things to settle down and get rational.

As for beating good teams--the Green Bay game was enough for me to know this team is real. That was a dominant win--23-7 going into the fourth quarter and the team was just coasting for the last twenty minutes of the game.

eh sure there will always be folks who are hard on the team, but you need people like that sometimes lol. i like reading all kinds of views about our team. as long as its not an observation based on bias against our team ala Jamie Dukes, i like hearing dissenting views.

That punt return fake touchdown really helped their cause but GB just seemed like they were always a score or so away from getting on a roll. look put it this way, tell me you didnt hold ur breath just a bit when he threw that last pass to Nelson and Cully batted it down. lol by dominant i mean the team gave up by beggining of fourth quarter. like the jets, or cardinals, or bills, bears...etc
Originally posted by 228niner:
Da Bears this year, sans cutler

alotta people are saying that. I think however even with cutler we wouldve destroyed them. They had no oline no pass rush no nothing. Bears are a fluke IMHO.
eh sure there will always be folks who are hard on the team, but you need people like that sometimes lol. i like reading all kinds of views about our team. as long as its not an observation based on bias against our team ala Jamie Dukes, i like hearing dissenting views.

That punt return fake touchdown really helped their cause but GB just seemed like they were always a score or so away from getting on a roll. look put it this way, tell me you didnt hold ur breath just a bit when he threw that last pass to Nelson and Cully batted it down. lol by dominant i mean the team gave up by beggining of fourth quarter. like the jets, or cardinals, or bills, bears...etc

No, the GB game was the first game in some time where I was calm during the second half because SF was in control both offensively and defensively. The return for TD was irritating but they needed two scores to win and SF answered with a pick and score of their own to keep that margin...almost as if they were on hold until GB scored and they needed another one.

My problem with saying they haven't blown out a good team is there are usually reasons when a good team loses, extenuating circumstances if you will. Last year the niners played the Bucs when they were considered a very good team...and blew them out. Started a downward spiral for the Bucs reputation. This year Buffalo was considered a decent team, scoring a minimum of 24 points until the SF game, when our defense almost shut them out.

But! And it is a big but, the SF offense has not been really rolling since Harbaugh took over. It takes a while to get all the pieces in place but we all thought that would happen by mid-season...or at least I did. Now we see the OLine still having issues with CK starting and WRs aren't getting open off the LOS. So we wait...somewhat impatiently in my case because I really thought Smith was improving each week and would be really comfortable by the playoffs.
If a team is weak in pass defense and can't move the ball it's a recipe for disaster. Belichick keeps the pedal to the metal. On one touchdown in the Texans-Pats game a receiver was left by himself near the goal line. The 49er defense is built not to be manhandled. Pat and Bo cover too much ground and the front will get a push on Brady. I keep going back to Keena Turner's observation in the 84 Super Bowl when the 49ers pounded Marino, he said when any QB gets hit enough they become very ordinary. The Texans game was fools gold.
Originally posted by HOF49er:
With young inexperience CK as the QB for the rest of the season, the 49ers aren't going to dominate any good team, needless to say any great team in the play-offs, thus an early exit.

Uh huh, this sounds like a haterism to me,,,,any evidence??? or do you need to have Joe Montana To dominate a good team just because you say so, could have sworn an inexperienced Brady Led the Pats to a Superbowl behind a pretty good defense
Share 49ersWebzone