There are 125 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

An observation about professionalism when not starting

An observation about Smith vs. Jacobs in how they've handled being on the bench. Please don't turn this into a QB debate. Mods, please don't lock this - it's not a QB debate thread.

Alex Smith through 8.25 games played well enough to be a borderline Pro Bowl QB, to be the current 2nd rated passer, and to lead a strong team to a 6-2 record. He's been nothing except pure class in his benching, taking the high road in his preparation, work ethic, public statements, and in the locker room. All this despite starting the season as the undisputed starting player for the game's most high profile position.

Brandon Jacobs started the season knowing at least two guys were ahead of him on the depth chart at a position that rarely sees the 3rd string player get a lot of playing time. Then he had an injury that slowed his progress to the field. He's recently gone public with his disgruntled attitude, appears to be at best a lost man in the locker room, seems to be more concerned with his personal playing time than the team's needs, and clearly wants to be out of SF as soon as possible.

Now, if I'm one of the 31 other teams looking to upgrade my QB or RB position this offseason. Smith is a clear option not just because of his good play the last couple years but even more so because of his work ethic and attitude. I want that guy in my locker room, especially if I've just had a tumultuous season. If I need a RB I look at Jacobs and stay the hell away for his attitude alone. Who wants to deal with that?
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
I'll give Jacobs this, he was on the sideline involved in the game and giving his teammates support. After LaMike's first run he went over and congratulated him. I just think he has issues with letting his emotions get the best of him and airing them out for the world to see. Completely unprofessional and a huge distraction, but I don't see us releasing him.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
I'll give Jacobs this, he was on the sideline involved in the game and giving his teammates support. After LaMike's first run he went over and congratulated him. I just think he has issues with letting his emotions get the best of him and airing them out for the world to see. Completely unprofessional and a huge distraction, but I don't see us releasing him.

Of course, he could of just told James "wait till they screw you too!"
  • sfout
  • Veteran
One of the local beat writers said that about Smith earlier this week.

His best attribute and most appealing trait in upcoming trade / free agency period wont be his ability to manage games and be a play maker when needed but that he is the ultimate Good Soldier -- He has always been a team player and he will do exactly what is asked of him.

To Jacobs credit he was definitely more involved this game, I know Jacobs wants to play and I appreciate his competitive desire but the airing of the dirty laundry has got to stop.

I don't see SF releasing him just because you never know if Gore/James will go down. You need him as an insurance player.
Low character guy.
Him and Lamar Odem would make great bed buddies.
Lamike was whining on t**tter too
Jacobs probably told him to.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Lamike was whining on t**tter too

a 7 year pro whining on twitter vs a rookie whining on twitter, while both are unacceptable, LMJ is still young and learning, Jacobs has been in the league since 05 and should understand the professionalism. LMJ also wasnt taking things to the extent Jacobs was when it comes to the comments.
Originally posted by darkknight49:

Of course, he could of just told James "wait till they screw you too!"

He was probably just trying to appear supportive in front of the cameras. He knew he created a fire and tried to extinguish it. Too late. He won't suite up ever again for this team.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
double edge sword here...if he complains, he's a whiner and everyone wants him to STFU! If he doesn't and is ok with being a backup, he's not championship material and doesn't want to win (AS)

Honestly, I think he's pissed and wants to play. Unleash the dude and give him some carries. These next few games could be in wet, rainy weather and running attack is important. We could have a 270-lb RB with something to prove. Do we want a scat back or a beast that's pissed???
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,400 for kingairta.
Problem being the beast could be so pissed he half asses it out of spite.
We have a beast in Gore, its the versatile quick back that we need with Hunter injured.
Dixon, James and Gore...three sizes and styles to mix and match...don't need Jacobs
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home