LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 308 users in the forums

NFC WEST Division is no joke for years to come ...thoughts?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The NFC West has established itself as one of the weakest divisions in the NFL to one of the toughest over a two year span that included massive rebuilding and a large supply of high draft picks. There is no guarantee win now besides the Cardinals perhaps but our division is built on great defenses that stop the run and are able to give elite teams a great game week in week out. If the Cards get their QB situation figured out and the offenses improve the NFC West will be a top division for years to come.
Originally posted by regulator530:
The NFC West has established itself as one of the weakest divisions in the NFL to one of the toughest over a two year span that included massive rebuilding and a large supply of high draft picks. There is no guarantee win now besides the Cardinals perhaps but our division is built on great defenses that stop the run and are able to give elite teams a great game week in week out. If the Cards get their QB situation figured out and the offenses improve the NFC West will be a top division for years to come.

The Rams have lots of high picks thanks to the Redskins. If their FO makes the right pick, the Rams will be a very good team. Bradford has been uneven (perhaps mostly due to his Smith-like too-many-OCs and rash of injuries) but also has shown promise of being a very competent QB. With Fisher running the show, the Rams finally has stability in coaching. I think in 2 years, the Rams may win the division title.

The Seahawks team is already a contender. Great defense, improving offense. Pete Carroll is a better NFL head coach this time around.

The Cardinals are in a mess. Whisenhunt will most likely be gone by the end of this season. The Cardinals need more than a QB. It also needs an offensive line. Perhaps some deft FA moves may help them out. However, the amazing fact is that despite the sorry offensive performance, the Cardinals have been in most games this season until the final moment. With a better QB, they won't contend soon, but the Cardinals will likely make life difficult for every other team within the division.
The NFC West is the new "Black & Blue" division. Every team has a talented defense that can beat people up.

49ers are positioned to be the front-runners for many years to come, but Seattle and St. Louis are showing signs of closing the gap. We need to be smart with our salary cap management, extending the right guys, find bargains in FA, and continue to draft well.

Seattle is a very good football team. They're better than their 7-5 record indicates IMO, especially now that Russell Wilson is in a groove. They have most of the pieces in place.

St. Louis' future success depends on how they draft the next 2 years. They are scheduled to have a ton of extra draft picks via trade. They have a chance to become very good, very quickly.

Arizona is in a state of disarray, but all hope is not lost. They still have a talented defense with many of the key guys signed long-term. They need to decide what to do with Whisenhunt and his staff. They need to solve their QB situation, and rebuild that offensive line. I'm talking 5 new starters on the line. They will probably be the bottom feeders for a while.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Dec 8, 2012 at 1:05 AM ]
4 Reasons why.

1.Harbaugh
2.Carroll
3.Fisher
4. Whisenhunt
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
4 Reasons why.

1.Harbaugh
2.Carroll
3.Fisher
4. Whisenhunt

I can accept Fisher but Wizz and Carroll?
4 Reasons why.

1.Harbaugh
2.Carroll
3.Fisher
4. Whisenhunt

Agreed! all have won a division and two have taken their team to the big dance. They have all proven to get their teams in the post season and win games.
Originally posted by English:
4 Reasons why.

1.Harbaugh
2.Carroll
3.Fisher
4. Whisenhunt

Did Wizz not go to the Super Bowl ? Carroll is coaching the hell out of the Seahawks. Our division has been coached to a level where we are now respected. I'm not saying they are shoe in HOFers but these guys can coach.
Originally posted by English:
4 Reasons why.

1.Harbaugh
2.Carroll
3.Fisher
4. Whisenhunt

Did Wizz not go to the Super Bowl ? Carroll is coaching the hell out of the Seahawks. Our division has been coached to a level where we are now respected. I'm not saying they are shoe in HOFers but these guys can coach.

Respected? Yes. Because of the HC's? Not so sure. What has Whizz done since 2009? And Seattle's success IMO just reflects an improved roster. Not Carroll.

IMO.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
AZ beat the Patriots in their house, Seattle beat the Giants in there house last year, Niners pounded the mighty high powered Packers, Saints offense when "experts" were saying the Niners couldn't keep up with them...

So, which division is "really" the weakest division? it won't be the mighty powerful NFC West and commentators can no longer say the 49ers won because we have an easy division.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
All 4 defenses are top tier. 3 of the 4 teams have good coaches. Arizona will fire Whiz and it will be interesting who replaces him; Reid, Gruden, or someone from the college ranks?

I think we are in a time where its currently too unpredictable to know how the NFC West or any other division will pan out to be for seasons to come. Tough and surpising teams come and go every year.
NFC West was legit last season save the Rams (what we did, Seattle wins against Baltimore & NYG, AZ should have wins against NYG, Baltimore), but it took an extra year for the rest of the league to finally accept it.
Still our division to lose.
Rams will be our biggest opponet for years to come
Totally not sold on Seattle as long as Carroll is the head coach, his teams have always been known to implode, lack discipline...etc, I don't see that changing. The Rams are the legit major threat and as long as Fisher is there, they will always be a solid playoff contender. Their team is pretty stacked with a lot of high draft picks and they are going to be a tough to take on year in and year out. Arizona is a mess, they've totally blown up, you got guys spitting on each other, talking trash about each other, going after teammates and the coach on Twitter, lots of finger-pointing, talk of trading Fitzgerald, the Whisenhunt era is dead and a lot depends on who their new head coach will be. Ultimately I'm not worried about the Cardinals long term, their ownership is pretty pathetic and other than a couple seasons with Kurt Warner, they haven't been a threat to anyone, I see them as the basement team unless they revamp their front office and coaching staff but I don't see too many high-level coaches wanting to wade into that mess, especially with no legit NFL QB on the roster.
Share 49ersWebzone