LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

NFC WEST Division is no joke for years to come ...thoughts?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by English:
Respected? Yes. Because of the HC's? Not so sure. What has Whizz done since 2009? And Seattle's success IMO just reflects an improved roster. Not Carroll.

IMO.

The one thing I will say about Seattle, they've been doing very well in going out and getting some top-level ballplayers. Browner was an undrafted free agent, Richard Sherman was a 5th round pick, Russell Wilson was a 3rd rounder, Irvin has turned out to be a pretty good pass-rusher, the Seahawks have been making strong moves that have loaded up their team with quality players.
the s**t that really trips me out, is that Carroll has a rookie QB and he's got his team right in Harbaugh's rear view mirror...
The real question is who will have the better qb with the it factor. We already know bout the Ds in the division
RW vs CK = Carroll vs Harbaugh

This will be the western shootout for years to come.
Only thing that worries me is our offense. It's a chicken and egg situation. Is Harbaugh being ultra conservative because of Alex or is that his nature in general? Now that we Kaep it's time to design a more elaborate offense. Scoring "just enough points to win" scares the he'll out of me.

Well be fine if we can take the offense to the next level. If not then we will be in trouble. Simple as that.
Good post w/a lot of interesting takes.

As a division the NFC has made incredible progress. Each team has a stout D and all but Cards have very good QB's.

Carrol has done a solid job in drafting and that Wilson kid is for real. Carrol/GM made a HUGE mistake w/Flynn. They gave up a lot for a guy they're not using.

The Cards gave up a lot for Kolbe and are paying a price. They haven't drafted particularly well and it shows. Their OLine sucks. Their QB sucks. Their play calling sucks. If Wissenhunt lasts - WTF! BUT the worst of all, IMO, is their Front Office. Maybe they'll hire Norv to be their next HC.

The Rams are a much better team since Fisher took over and they've acquired very solid draft picks and FA. They are going to be our toughest competition for years to come. Also, they'll be picking in pretty good position in the draft plus the goodies they received in the RGIII trade.

I've been a Niner fan since '76 and we used to have an excellent rivalry with the Rams - what goes around comes around.

Baalke/JH and the rest of our FO have been very good and hopefully keep the youth movement alive & well.

Finally, in the link below, at the bottom of the post is a comment that next year the NFC West will be the best conference in the NFL.

http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=1399X522769&site=49erswebzone.com&xs=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nfl.com%2Fnews%2Fstory%2F0ap1000000105903%2Farticle%2Ffuture-gms-must-be-consensusbuilding-leaders-week-14-notes&xguid=45f0a54ec0b99e0cf6a4e5d83ac7d2db&xcreo=0&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.49erswebzone.com%2Fforum%2Fnfl%2F169213-interesting-article-2%2F&pref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.49erswebzone.com%2Fforum%2Fnfl%2F
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Seattle is a very good football team. They're better than their 7-5 record indicates IMO, especially now that Russell Wilson is in a groove. They have most of the pieces in place.

Actually, Seattle is not even a 7-5 team. They were awarded a win over the Patriots by replacement refs who blew the call. The Patriots won that game. Seattle is a 6-6 team.
[ Edited by longtime49erfan on Dec 8, 2012 at 11:31 AM ]
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
4 Reasons why.

1.Harbaugh
2.Carroll
3.Fisher
4. Whisenhunt
very well said, god look at the coaching talent alone impressive.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good post w/a lot of interesting takes.

As a division the NFC has made incredible progress. Each team has a stout D and all but Cards have very good QB's.

Carrol has done a solid job in drafting and that Wilson kid is for real. Carrol/GM made a HUGE mistake w/Flynn. They gave up a lot for a guy they're not using.

The Cards gave up a lot for Kolbe and are paying a price. They haven't drafted particularly well and it shows. Their OLine sucks. Their QB sucks. Their play calling sucks. If Wissenhunt lasts - WTF! BUT the worst of all, IMO, is their Front Office. Maybe they'll hire Norv to be their next HC.

The Rams are a much better team since Fisher took over and they've acquired very solid draft picks and FA. They are going to be our toughest competition for years to come. Also, they'll be picking in pretty good position in the draft plus the goodies they received in the RGIII trade.

I've been a Niner fan since '76 and we used to have an excellent rivalry with the Rams - what goes around comes around.

Baalke/JH and the rest of our FO have been very good and hopefully keep the youth movement alive & well.

Finally, in the link below, at the bottom of the post is a comment that next year the NFC West will be the best conference in the NFL.

http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=1399X522769&site=49erswebzone.com&xs=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nfl.com%2Fnews%2Fstory%2F0ap1000000105903%2Farticle%2Ffuture-gms-must-be-consensusbuilding-leaders-week-14-notes&xguid=45f0a54ec0b99e0cf6a4e5d83ac7d2db&xcreo=0&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.49erswebzone.com%2Fforum%2Fnfl%2F169213-interesting-article-2%2F&pref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.49erswebzone.com%2Fforum%2Fnfl%2F

Thank you for the praise. I agree The coaches in the NFC West alone can tell you they have the platform to be a dominate division for years to come. I think we have to wait and see with the Rams but their Defense is damn good. Their offense is quite lackluster and don't see it becoming dominate for a couple years. Bradford is a good QB but is he really that good? Fisher is a great coach and is their best player right now and has a bright future with the Rams. I believe the Niners will lead the Division for a couple more years but it will be exciting to watch as it will no longer be a given but a gritty fight to the end.
None of the teams in our division right now are well rounded (including the Niners). First team to become well rounded gets the competitive edge. Niners have their work cut out. Our offensive MVP Frank Gore is in the twilight of his career. We have two solid possession receivers and an unproven first round draft pick in AJ Jenkins. Our backup RB may never be the same after suffering an achilies injury.

It's going to be a real challenge to replace our skilled offensive players and get enough weapons for the Kaepernick Era.
[ Edited by pete98146 on Dec 8, 2012 at 12:53 PM ]

Even though Kolb is bad, he makes the Cardinals more competitive than with Skelton and Lindley. If they get a new QB next year, they have the tools to go from just "shot at a wildcard" to "chance at division and a strong contender for the playoffs."
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Even though Kolb is bad, he makes the Cardinals more competitive than with Skelton and Lindley. If they get a new QB next year, they have the tools to go from just "shot at a wildcard" to "chance at division and a strong contender for the playoffs."

yeah the cards since Warner have been a team that 'just needs a top shelf QB'. I still kinda feel the same way, just right now . . more worrisome . . . is that OL. Whisenhunt just hasnt hit on a QB.
Respected? Yes. Because of the HC's? Not so sure. What has Whizz done since 2009? And Seattle's success IMO just reflects an improved roster. Not Carroll.

IMO.

Yet, many would surmise that Carroll had as much to do with that improved roster as John Schneider....
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
All the teams in the NFC West have good defenses. If they can keep team close in games, wins can be had.
4 Reasons why.

1.Harbaugh
2.Carroll
3.Fisher
4. Whisenhunt

I can accept Fisher but Wizz and Carroll?

Did Wizz not go to the Super Bowl ? Carroll is coaching the hell out of the Seahawks. Our division has been coached to a level where we are now respected. I'm not saying they are shoe in HOFers but these guys can coach.

carroll sucks. dude should of stayed college
Share 49ersWebzone