LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 335 users in the forums

Why do our receivers continue to be horrible at drops?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
On this list, we are 14th in the league for dropped balls: http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

However, according to this spreadsheet, we are SECOND in the league in drops per attempt:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtovZ5gXCP4HdFBKdDVOWmdKZ0FNMjVDM2RLRFdKNkE#gid=0

I mean, Delanie probably has one drop a game, so there's that, but we need to have more pure receivers on our team and less athletes who we hope to eventually develop catching hands.
It's probably Alex's fault somehow.
We're actually pretty awesome at dropping the ball. We're horrible at catching.
Because Alex is always forcing the receivers to make a play.
Last week niners were a superbowl caliber team,now they are the worst,they drop balls,D line doesnt protect
The QB, jumbo formation is boring,Greg Roman is a college coach...I love this forum...

Delanie..
Better question is how can our receivers drop the ball in style?
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
Better question is how can our receivers drop the ball in style?

Exactly what I was thinking
It's "BALL PLACEMENT" by Kaepernick. Lets be consistent here. The throw to Delanie was bad ball placement by Kaep....
Never throw the ball to Delanie Walker. For every good play, you get two bad ones. Dude is so overrated on this board, it is ridiculous.

Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Never throw the ball to Delanie Walker. For every good play, you get two bad ones. Dude is so overrated on this board, it is ridiculous.

Coby Fleener: 22 catches for 248 @ an 11 yard average with 1 TD.

In our offense, right out of the gate, you could probably double/triple that number (for us).
Originally posted by NCommand:

In our offense, right out of the gate, you could probably double/triple that number (for us).

You not over that yet?

I confess that it would be nice to have him, along with others, but at what price? For that matter, I also like the second TE that the Colt's picked up. But I trust that TB knew what he was doing with the draft.

I agree though, relying on Walker in crucial times is a gamble. Sometimes he does it; other times not. He's certainly not the sharpest knife in the drawer either. Time to get a reliable, speedy, intelligent TE with great hands. Really we don't have one on the team.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
We're actually pretty awesome at dropping the ball. We're horrible at catching.

This. As for ball placement, if it touches your hands, as a pro, you should catch it.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by NCommand:

You not over that yet?

I confess that it would be nice to have him, along with others, but at what price? For that matter, I also like the second TE that the Colt's picked up. But I trust that TB knew what he was doing with the draft.

I agree though, relying on Walker in crucial times is a gamble. Sometimes he does it; other times not. He's certainly not the sharpest knife in the drawer either. Time to get a reliable, speedy, intelligent TE with great hands. Really we don't have one on the team.

Heck no. LOL. Just felt b/c of his familiarity of this offense in particular and how heavy it leans on 2 TE sets, he would have been ideal and and could have contributed right out of the gate (unlike Jenkins); he could have been helpful for us esp. on 3rd downs and in the RZ. Can you imagine having to defend VD, Fleener, Moss, Manningham/Crabtree with Hunter/Gore/Miller in the backfield?

Plus, should VD go down, he would be a viable primary backup. Instead we have the swiss army dropsy knife and some dude name Celek and 2 DT's in the jumbo packages. LOL
we dont have natural pass catchers. walker drops balls, we've seen VD do it over the years. moss will drop balls and ginn is downright horrible. only manningham and crabtree have above average hands on the team. when i played football as a youngster you could see it on your team, some guys fight the ball and prefer to catch with their body.
Share 49ersWebzone