LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

Why do our receivers continue to be horrible at drops?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by crabman82:
we dont have natural pass catchers. walker drops balls, we've seen VD do it over the years. moss will drop balls and ginn is downright horrible. only manningham and crabtree have above average hands on the team. when i played football as a youngster you could see it on your team, some guys fight the ball and prefer to catch with their body.

Bingo!

49er wide receivers are grossly over-rated on this board. Crabtree is STILL the only guy who could make the roster on a good passing team. Don't believe me? Why did Baalke go out and sign a washed up Randy Moss? Take the unwanted #3 receiver from the NYG (Manningham)? Use a #1 pick on a WR that has not seen the field even once (first year BUST)? (Williams doesn't factor at this point.) Other than Crabtree, none of these guys will be playing on a Super Bowl winning team. Besides not holding onto the ball, they are not even getting open.

TEs? We've seen Walker. UGH! People are in love with what they want him to be while denying what he is. That is a very bad formula in any relationship. Davis has been absent much of the time but still drops one now and then.

The numbers are not made better in the past three games by Kaepernick who is still learning to take a little off his fastball for shorter throws. When you are dislocating a receiver's finger on a 15 yard throw you might want to have a little touch.

Those are my observations...
^^^ And don't get me started on their absolute inability to ad lib on a scramble whether it's Alex or CK in there. It's really sad. I challenge anyone to watch a game...watch what the receivers do when our QB is scrambling or is pressured. It's really sad! But again, this goes back to coaching and desire by the players. Manningham and Williams are probably the only two on our team that can consistently beat a DB at the LOS with their quickness and array of moves and get to the spot. Guys such as Crabtree don't have that quickness off the LOS and rely heavily on others clearing out space for them (at least he excels at RAC). And yes, with CK's gun, we are seeing even more balls flying threw the hands of receivers (none picked off...yet). Now the question is this: are the receivers putting in extra time with CK like Rice did with Young (moving from a right-handed QB to a left)? Hmmmmm
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Never throw the ball to Delanie Walker. For every good play, you get two bad ones. Dude is so overrated on this board, it is ridiculous.

Coby Fleener: 22 catches for 248 @ an 11 yard average with 1 TD.

In our offense, right out of the gate, you could probably double/triple that number (for us).

Fleener isn't even the starter hombre. Walker kind of sucks, but Fleener is well on his way to being a bust. Dwayne Allen is a better target for Luck.
Originally posted by UKNiners:
It's probably Alex's fault somehow.

It's because they're not expecting the balls to be thrown to them because they're so used to Alex not throwing.
Delanie Walker has always had drops, how he rolls. VD has gotten much better over the years, Crabtree is solid as is Manningham. Gore has been noted to drop passes, he doesn't get many.
Originally posted by dj43:
we dont have natural pass catchers. walker drops balls, we've seen VD do it over the years. moss will drop balls and ginn is downright horrible. only manningham and crabtree have above average hands on the team. when i played football as a youngster you could see it on your team, some guys fight the ball and prefer to catch with their body.

Bingo!

49er wide receivers are grossly over-rated on this board. Crabtree is STILL the only guy who could make the roster on a good passing team. Don't believe me? Why did Baalke go out and sign a washed up Randy Moss? Take the unwanted #3 receiver from the NYG (Manningham)? Use a #1 pick on a WR that has not seen the field even once (first year BUST)? (Williams doesn't factor at this point.) Other than Crabtree, none of these guys will be playing on a Super Bowl winning team. Besides not holding onto the ball, they are not even getting open.

TEs? We've seen Walker. UGH! People are in love with what they want him to be while denying what he is. That is a very bad formula in any relationship. Davis has been absent much of the time but still drops one now and then.

The numbers are not made better in the past three games by Kaepernick who is still learning to take a little off his fastball for shorter throws. When you are dislocating a receiver's finger on a 15 yard throw you might want to have a little touch.

Mario couldn't even be the #3 WR on the Giants.

Bingo!

You really don't get it. It's quite hilarious actually. Any decent OC(not Roman) who had this stable of weapons would have no problems finding matchup wins. Vernon Davis is the fastest TE in football, Crabtree is one of the best runners after the catch in football, a very skilled underneath receiver, and Manningham has major game speed with excellent short area quickness. If you really think a team like the Saints or the Patriots have better weapons than we do, then you have no clue about how to evaluate talent. Well, we already knew that, because you actually thought Derek Smith was a competent linebacker.
Originally posted by HeavyDrifting:

Bingo!

You really don't get it. It's quite hilarious actually. Any decent OC(not Roman) who had this stable of weapons would have no problems finding matchup wins. Vernon Davis is the fastest TE in football, Crabtree is one of the best runners after the catch in football, a very skilled underneath receiver, and Manningham has major game speed with excellent short area quickness. If you really think a team like the Saints or the Patriots have better weapons than we do, then you have no clue about how to evaluate talent. Well, we already knew that, because you actually thought Derek Smith was a competent linebacker.

Originally posted by Jakemall:

Bingo!

Actually he could, and he excelled at it for 2 years before last year when he dealt with injuries throughout the year last year and fell out of favor.

800-900 yards is major productivity for the 3rd option in an offense. Of course, that was in New York, with a top 5 Quarterback and a pass-oriented scheme, as opposed to here, with 2 flawed QB's and one of the worst passing schemes in football.
[ Edited by HeavyDrifting on Dec 5, 2012 at 12:02 PM ]

Bingo!

Actually he could, and he excelled at it for 2 years before last year when he dealt with injuries throughout the year last year and fell out of favor.

800-900 yards is major productivity for the 3rd option in an offense. Of course, that was in New York, with a top 5 Quarterback and a pass-oriented scheme, as opposed to here, with 2 flawed QB's and one of the worst passing schemes in football.

If he could, he'd still be there. Not arguing how he lost his job.He was unable to get it back....and we're talking about the #3 spot...not the #2.

Bingo!

If he could, he'd still be there. Not arguing how he lost his job.He was unable to get it back....and we're talking about the #3 spot...not the #2.

New York didn't have a need for him because they are the best team in football at finding/scouting receivers and developing them. When you have a Nicks/Cruz 1+2 punch and then a Ramses Barden and Reuben Randle behind that you don't really have a need to pay Manningham 2.5M. That's how the NFL works. Doesn't mean that Manningham isn't a very skilled football player

Bingo!

New York didn't have a need for him because they are the best team in football at finding/scouting receivers and developing them. When you have a Nicks/Cruz 1+2 punch and then a Ramses Barden and Reuben Randle behind that you don't really have a need to pay Manningham 2.5M. That's how the NFL works. Doesn't mean that Manningham isn't a very skilled football player

They're the best team on developing WRs? I didn't know that... I thought that maybe the saints, greenbay, Indy (pre-luck), and the Pats would have all been considered better.

Any player in the NFL has skill. And on the Giants he was skilled at being the #4 WR. So yeah, he wasn't worth the salary.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Dec 5, 2012 at 12:18 PM ]

Bingo!

They're the best team on developing WRs? I didn't know that... I thought that maybe the saints, greenbay, Indy (pre-luck), and the Pats would have all been considered better.

Any player in the NFL has skill. And on the Giants he was skilled at being the #4 WR. So yeah, he wasn't worth the salary.

You confuse scheme with developing. Patriots, besides Brandon lloyd, don't have any talented receivers. Put Welker in this offense and watch him retire the next year. GB is up there, but the Giants are the team that found the best WR in the 2009 draft in the late 1st, found a gamebreaking WR in UDFA.

You're also really pushing it calling Manningham the 4th receiver there, it's called the Giants had a better financial option in Barden and a 2nd round rookie. You do know what the salary cap is, no?
You confuse scheme with developing. Patriots, besides Brandon lloyd, don't have any talented receivers. Put Welker in this offense and watch him retire the next year. GB is up there, but the Giants are the team that found the best WR in the 2009 draft in the late 1st, found a gamebreaking WR in UDFA.

You're also really pushing it calling Manningham the 4th receiver there, it's called the Giants had a better financial option in Barden and a 2nd round rookie. You do know what the salary cap is, no?

I'd respond, but you're banned.

Guys...what's a salary cap? SMH....
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Never throw the ball to Delanie Walker. For every good play, you get two bad ones. Dude is so overrated on this board, it is ridiculous.

Coby Fleener: 22 catches for 248 @ an 11 yard average with 1 TD.

In our offense, right out of the gate, you could probably double/triple that number (for us).

So he would be better than Vernon in our offense?
Share 49ersWebzone