There are 77 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Week 13: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

• Buchy
  • Veteran
Some people really over-reacting on Kaep.

If Alex was in, yes I think that those mistakes wouldn't have happened and he would have eaten the sack, but on the other hand it was not a safety but a very bad call by the refs. Kaep is a rookie really, he's just started this season in live games which is a big difference from being backup for one season.

However, look at it this way:

1) Refs make the right call on the "safety" and there's no tie at end of regulation time.
2) Walker catches the TD pass and we win.
3) Akers kicks one of 2 missed field goals inside his range and we win.

Those are three definitive collaborations to the cause but beyond that:

1) Horrible, horrible play calling - Roman seems unable to adjust to the game live.
2) Staley holding call killed our 3rd(?) drive in the 2nd quarter taking us outside FG range at the least.
3) Walker holding call killed a drive
4) BS personal foul call on Goldson when he was making a legitimate hit on Bradford which moved them into FG range for the tie.
5) Goodwin is getting blown away at centre a lot, seems to be a huge number of plays coming down the middle where he loses his man inside 2 seconds. He was responsible for a lot of that pressure on Kaep.

The only genuine errors Kaep made were poor execution on the lateral to Ginn (we all agree it's a horrible call in that situation) and running out of bounds on the last 4th quarter drive when he should have kept the clock running,

Now having said that, it's easy to blame a rookie for rookie errors, especially when he's the QB and there's a controversy on his selection, however a number of experienced, veteran players and coaches made some very costly mistakes which made a significant impact on the end result.
Originally posted by YoungWifey:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
While I agree with a lot of your points you are going overly soft on Kaepernick. He was a HUGE LIABILITY in this game. You can't sugar coat it any other way. Does he have big upside? Sure. Can he be a QB of the future? Yes. Might that start next year? Maybe. But come on. Lets not cover for him and lie.

~ Backpeddled way, way deep all the way to the endzone and got a safety. No reason for this play. It didn't have to be. You can say "it really wasn't a safety." But by backpeddling into the endzone he put it in the officials discression. He didn't have to drop back that deep. There was no reason to force officials to make that call one way or another. (+2 Rams)
~ Horrific pitch backward lateral deep in our own territory. TD Rams. (+6 Rams)
~ Led to 2 point conversion they would not have had otherwise. (+2 Rams)
~ Ran out of bounds on a scramble at the end allowing them precious time to come back the other way and tie us. He didn't have to do this. Stay inbounds and run the clock.
~ Consistently did not get the team up to the line in time and was snapping the ball with 1, 2 seconds left.
~ This forced delay of game penalties and excessive use of timeouts that we may otherwise need late in the game to stop the clock and get the ball back.

Kaep has a big league arm and legs and is a big, tall, strong guy. Yes we all like his upside. But to say he played well in this game is just plain rediculous. He did not. Alex would have probably won this game. Now our hold on the #2 seed is very thin. A win would have separated us since some other teams close to us lost. We do have some 4 loss teams out there chasing us for #2. But how much better would have 9 - 2 - 1 been as compared with 8 - 3 - 1? We would be sitting pretty.

We are risking the #2 seed and our playoff position with this experiment. I always thought next year Kaep would have been more ready. He's not reading defenses fast enough and making audibles at the line fast enough and snapping the ball on time. Just basic stuff he must do for us to have a chance to win.

Trust me, I agree with you on all those points. Kaep should be held accountable for all those mistakes. Harbaugh is taking a huge risk. It's such a difficult situation to be in because on the one hand, you have an experienced QB who does not make those mistakes but he has his limitations and won't have enough to overtake teams if need be. Then you have an inexperienced QB that can be costly to the team but is the one X-factor that could help overtake those hot teams in the playoffs.

Then on top of that, you have all these young inexperienced players who now have to come in and help the team out with an inexperienced QB. But then you have situations where the opposing defense can stop the run with an experienced QB that doesn't stretch the field and is not a deep threat.

I sure don't want to be in Harbaugh's shoes.

He opened a big can of worms witht his thing midseason.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Dec 3, 2012 at 12:03 AM ]
Originally posted by Buchy:
Some people really over-reacting on Kaep.

If Alex was in, yes I think that those mistakes wouldn't have happened and he would have eaten the sack, but on the other hand it was not a safety but a very bad call by the refs. Kaep is a rookie really, he's just started this season in live games which is a big difference from being backup for one season.

However, look at it this way:

1) Refs make the right call on the "safety" and there's no tie at end of regulation time.
2) Walker catches the TD pass and we win.
3) Akers kicks one of 2 missed field goals inside his range and we win.

Those are three definitive collaborations to the cause but beyond that:

1) Horrible, horrible play calling - Roman seems unable to adjust to the game live.
2) Staley holding call killed our 3rd(?) drive in the 2nd quarter taking us outside FG range at the least.
3) Walker holding call killed a drive
4) BS personal foul call on Goldson when he was making a legitimate hit on Bradford which moved them into FG range for the tie.
5) Goodwin is getting blown away at centre a lot, seems to be a huge number of plays coming down the middle where he loses his man inside 2 seconds. He was responsible for a lot of that pressure on Kaep.

The only genuine errors Kaep made were poor execution on the lateral to Ginn (we all agree it's a horrible call in that situation) and running out of bounds on the last 4th quarter drive when he should have kept the clock running,

Now having said that, it's easy to blame a rookie for rookie errors, especially when he's the QB and there's a controversy on his selection, however a number of experienced, veteran players and coaches made some very costly mistakes which made a significant impact on the end result.
yeah like Drew Brees and his 7 INTs that cost his team the playoffs.
He opened a big can of worms witht his thing midseason.

Let's just hope he can open a can of whoop ass in the postseason.
  • dqh01
  • Veteran
Wtf is it with this damn team? They can't make big plays and not commit a big or dumb penalty if there freakn life depended on it. So damn undisciplined and inconsistent on offense.
Ughhh...this so sad for the fans who have been through so much in the last 8-9 seasons watching this crap. When the hell are we goin to be true contenders without losing games we have no business losing. Please be quiet Alex nuts Huggers ....Alex could have not done "Jack Sh**" today in St Louis with his weak ass arm and afraid of throwing the ball more than 10 yards. Alex needs to go, this is Kaep's team.
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by susweel:
Could it be we just don't play well in domes.

We beat the Saints in their home-dome last week.

KaepEXCUSES.....

Tolzien Time! He hasn't lost ANY games this year, so having the least cold hands on the team makes him the guy with the hottest hands. His turn to start.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Thanks Marvin...I'm getting to the point I wait for this thread.

Some thoughts:

1. Kaepernick didn't play a horrible game as many on here seem to think. What I saw was frequent pressure followed with a big cushion to avoid the deep play. Kaep was being forced to make quick decisions and was largely contained when attempting to scramble. Having said this, he was able to complete at a decent rate and made some plays Alex never could have. I also like the rapport he's building with Manningham and Crabtree. I think St. Louis is building an attitude under Fischer and they are going to be a force in the near future. If Smith had started, I think we'd be staring at a 5+ sack game.

2. Marv's LMJ comment - I agree. The Rams closed the defense and were able to stuff the run effectively. We need more speed on the field...which begs the question, is LMJ really any good? The 9ers are going to play the best on game day and he can't beat out Jacobs or Dixon? For a second round pick that's disappointing.

3. Jenkins. They couldn't find one snap for him? Does he suck too?

4. Akers. I WANT to ditch him, but who do you replace him with? Two guys who are erratic and one who blew a chip shot for the Ravens? I'm hoping the law of averages works in the 49ers favor down the stretch and Akers bumps his numbers to career norms.

Erratic is still better then Akers. Erratic implies they make it sometimes. Akers is not even as good as erratic.

Law of averages? Does that mean we stick with Akers going into the playoffs with the thinking that, "we'll, he missed a bunch, so now we are "due" and he will make a bunch to average it out."

That seems like an incredibly dubious thought process.
Originally posted by GoldandGarnet:
Erratic is still better then Akers. Erratic implies they make it sometimes. Akers is not even as good as erratic.

Law of averages? Does that mean we stick with Akers going into the playoffs with the thinking that, "we'll, he missed a bunch, so now we are "due" and he will make a bunch to average it out."

Ok so who do you sign to kick? Billy Cundiff and Nate Kaeding were the ones brought in recently. These are two known playoff choke artists.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by GoldandGarnet:

Ok so who do you sign to kick? Billy Cundiff and Nate Kaeding were the ones brought in recently. These are two known playoff choke artists.

Score TDs don't kick field goals?
One thought I had and this did bother me we took a grand total of ZERO shots downfield. I mean block it up and play fake and throw the deep ball. We did this zero times. And we have Randy Moss on this team. Yeah he's old but I refuse to believe the deep chuck it to Moss play won't work until, you know, we actually try it.

Still waiting...
Your analysis is right on. Concerning 7 and 8, I can't see why they don't put LMJ in and just run some of Hunter's plays, student body right, student body left. The dude has a rocket in his pocket. Send Kaep around end and then pitch out to LMJ. As far as Manningham is concerned imo he's a game changer, however, he's always nicked with one thing or another and never plays a full season. Sunday can't come soon enough.
It seemed to me Ginn had a chance to kick that ball out of bounds after that terrible pitch. But again, no situational awareness in him. I'm really getting tired of Ginn. I always thought we needed him and he should take up that roster spot. Now I do not know anymore...
If I'm being honest, I was most disappointed in the play calling. All day I was yelling at the TV to let him throw the ball... There's no excuse for that bad pitch. It was definitely a rookie wtf moment but we just need to get over it. I don't see how this loss can be solely blamed on CK. Those blaming him are being disingenuous IMHO. A couple of mistakes but he more than made up for them to me. I just don't understand how this team can be so dominant one week then the game plan completely changes the next with a Singletary type offense. The Rams had 8 guys in the box all day and we were still trying to run up the middle. I just don't get it. Why are there no screens? Why no intermediate passes? Not one shot down field. CK has an accurate gun and it is more than puzzling to me that they don't want to use it.
[ Edited by leebert81 on Dec 3, 2012 at 3:52 AM ]
We lose one game and the sky is falling. Get a grip.
CK played like a backup and some of the offense vets that knew and have been through thick and thin with Alex Smith played halfhearted when CK and the offense got shut down... Harb's choice is beginning to look like a mistake... Just saying.
[ Edited by MrTruth on Dec 3, 2012 at 4:49 AM ]
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home