LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 341 users in the forums

Week 13: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
for no specific reason, there was a point during this game when i was wondering if alex being overly cautious with the ball was by the coaches design and not because of any limitation in his abilities...............
That is a darn good point feeeeever. Playcalling here was horrid , especially on those two Kap plays. HE didn't call the plays, Roman and Harbaugh did. Kap just made the mistakes.
Originally posted by pete98146:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I just want to know why they didn't just keep going to the slant play Jenkins was totally lost. We could have done that play all the way to the goaline in overtime.

Exactly....and then you hit him with a double move and he probably would have gone for it.

Exaclty. I'm watching the game like they setting up the double move but nothing. I mean how many times did Moose and Goose point out about how the Rams can't stop the slant, and that the Rams still haven't adjusted. On that final 3rd down in overtime why roll out CK and take away one side of the field? Let him have the slant option on both sides of the field. On a previous 3rd down they ran a slant to Moss and Jenkins was 5 yards off. They were giving us free money and our coaches put their hands in their pockets and didn't pick it up..
[ Edited by lamontb on Dec 3, 2012 at 10:36 AM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
That is a darn good point feeeeever. Playcalling here was horrid , especially on those two Kap plays. HE didn't call the plays, Roman and Harbaugh did. Kap just made the mistakes.

yeah i know we couldn't get the run game going outside of one drive and the entire playbooks works off of that, but c'mon...............

there also a point in the game when we brought in Tuku at FB and wondered.......... has this thing ever REALLY worked this season?
Originally posted by susweel:
My thoughts the day after.

- can we please stop throwing to Delanie its clear he cant be trusted to catch it. Also passing on Fleener looks pretty dumb right now.

- I think JH is gonna have to take more of an active role in play calling. Roman has proven this year when it matters the most his balls shrivel up like a raisin.

- Also can they rotate our Dline a bit more because at the end of the game those dudes are drained.

- Gotta do something about Akers before its too late, dude has already cost us two victories.

fleener got his 1st TD this season yesterday... not sure if i would say we made a dumb move passing on fleener at this point.
Okay, I have been coming to the zone for years and do not post very often. Just like reading what people have to say. Hell, I just barely signed up. I gotta state my opinion on this though.......

Marvin, I always love your posts but this one is way off. Kaep lost us the game, plain and simple. Even if it was a bad safety call he shouldn't have ran back 17 yards in the first place. Even if it was a bad pitch call, he still threw it way over Ginn's head. He made really one good run and a few good passes. For the most part, he was checking it down all game too. He also had at least 2 very bad passes that I remember that Alex always seems to make.

Who knows if we win with Alex in there but I will go with history. With Alex at QB we usually win the games we are supposed to. He DOESN'T make stupid mistakes.

This is NOT a year to mess around at QB. Yes Kaep may be more explosive, but 1 or 2 more explosive plays doesn't win games. It is consistency that wins games. Bring Kaep in next year. I am fine with that but this year is Alex's unless he gets hurt again.

Also, I am starting to lose a lot of confidence in Harbaugh. The guy just doesn't seem to know what he is doing sometimes. He looks confused on the sidelines. I know he is better than any coach we have had in years but the guy needs to push his ego aside. This is getting crazy.

Please cut Akers if we can find a better replacement. If not then that sucks.
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
It seemed to me Ginn had a chance to kick that ball out of bounds after that terrible pitch. But again, no situational awareness in him. I'm really getting tired of Ginn. I always thought we needed him and he should take up that roster spot. Now I do not know anymore...

This is where I am on this.
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
It seemed to me Ginn had a chance to kick that ball out of bounds after that terrible pitch. But again, no situational awareness in him. I'm really getting tired of Ginn. I always thought we needed him and he should take up that roster spot. Now I do not know anymore...

This is where I am on this.
[ Edited by Rsrkshn on Dec 3, 2012 at 11:21 AM ]
Have anyone else noticed the weird pattern this season is taking: WW L WW L WW T WW L if this holds true we beat the Dolphins & Pats, lose to the Seahawks then beat the Cards, win our 1st playoff game and lose our 2nd, which would mean no Super Bowl and that sucks.. I hope we can snap out of it this strange pattern, if we ever needed a 3 or more game winning streak it's now
Tough loss for the whole team, not only Kaep's fault. Here is my list of events that would have prevented a loss, feel free to add if I missed something:

1. Kaep doesn't mess up pitch.
2. Kaep doesn't run out of bounds on last drive.
3. Walker catches easy pass.
4. Ginn jumps on ball instead of trying to pick up.
5. Refs get safety call correct.
6. Refs don't throw roughing flag on rams last drive.
7. Coaches don't call option play.
8. Akers makes kick.

Kaep not running out of bounds is the tough one for me. It is such a basic concept and it burns their last time out.

my fiance were watching a game near a rams fan...when I saw ginn go in motion and we were running that...all three of us said..."what the heck is that?" ...

then when it happned, to be honest..I was laughing. I thought some of the play calling in this game was absolutely terrible.

Also, guys dont forget...a lot of penalties, like holding and false starts squandered our previous plays...

Delanie makes that touchdown catch, and we're not even talking about this crap.
I wonder if the 10 am time had anything to do with the loss and mistakes, we've lost 2/3 of those games this year. Kaep didn't have the power of Jesus tats on his side yesterday, but maybe Jesus just doesn't wake that early on sundays.
[ Edited by KowboyKiller on Dec 3, 2012 at 11:47 AM ]

Originally posted by Marvin49:
So, I was too annoyed to wait until later to rewatch the game. Watched it again immediately.

1) Kaepernick: Lets everyone chill out for a sec. First, the Intentional Grounding WASN'T intentional grounding. The ball started on the far hash and he was outside the tackle box. He threw the ball beyond the LOS. Lets not put a clear missed call on him. Second, the lateral. Bad play. No defending it, but lets be real here for a sec.

2) Play Calling: I am a Greg Roman fan........

3) Defense: Great Game. They got let down by poor play on offense. They got pushed around a few weeks ago vs Jackson and made up for it today. Much better game.

4) Run game: Outside of a few plays at the beginning, they largely got shut down. Even thought they weren't having success, they just kept bashing against that brick wall. THROW THE DAMN BALL. Kaep can make plays Alex couldn't. LET HIM.

5) Akers: I'm not a "cut this guy" kinda fan....but this is getting old.

6) Ginn: See #5.

7) LaMichael James: We need that outside speed element that Hunter gave them. Gore can thunder between the tackles and Hunter was a great change of pace. Jacobs is good for short yardage, but defenses are just condensing because they don't fear anyone getting out to the perimeter. It's time to activate LaMichael James

8) Manningham: I hope he's not hurt too bad. He's really becoming a clutch player.

9) Walker: WILDLY inconsistent. Athletically a game-changer, but the guy just seems to fight the ball. Two more drops and one of them was a perfect pass that would likely have won the game.

10) Penalties: I dunno if its the domes on the road or what, but the penalties are getting rediculous. Those 10 yard penaties are drive killers. Niners need to fix that crap.

NOW.

EDIT: Had to add....
11) Crabtree: Looking like the guy we wanted him to be on draft day. Can create when the play breaks down. Kaepernick-Crabtree are going to be a threat for a long-long time. On that topic, a dynamic passer like Kaepernick will make it easier to keep and sign WRs and TEs in the offseason......

How about an outsiders view?

1. It was "Intentional Grounding" he flung the ball in panic.....(more why Kaepernick and Smith both suck later.......) The "lateral", to be real, was a bad call and most importantly regarding it......poorly executed.

2. Playcalling ....BINGO! The buck stops with Harbaugh ........ if I could point to one time where anyone threw this game away? The final possesion by the Whiners and the worst clock management ever....... they could have run the clock down and there is no excuse that late in a game not to....what a gift granted to any team in that position, Thanks!

3. Why do people feel the need to highlight the most obvious?

4. Kaepernick was being read like a book? Duh! And by the way, didn't he scoot for 50 late? Gore was obviously hurt badly........his left arm hung limp like a rag. Jacobs has a long history of fumble rooskey in key moments ....sure make him the work horse late, seems logical and all....until you consider his patterns......

5. Kicker injuries? Has the history in this league not taught every team that an injured kicker is a losing teams kicker? Stuff happens, you injure reserve or release, you use a healthy kicker or lose.........

6. I remember Super Teddy being everyones top WR everywhere on draft day ...... but in his defense, Kaepernick was being read Kaepernick was nervous It was not a bad call it was an all-time stupid call ..... it is a laugher of a call and time will prove this making it a monkey on the Coaches back that will haunt him .....Top 10 Bone Head plays of all time ..... STUPID METER PEGS.........

7. If my uncle had testicles he'd be my aunt .......If If If If....... "If" is a word losers use........trust me as a Missouri - Cardinal (football) - Ram fan? I am a qualified expert on losing in football....... and "if" is for losers who think history can be changed........

8. Average at his best ..........(another "if" ......look at Avery - Colts and Alexander - Bolts ....... Rams had both and both cut, now both are leading WR's for their teams lately........WR's don't grow on trees........ pick an apple and it taste good or it doesn't, one thing you can't do is taste it and hope it taste better later.....) The Rams are dependent on rookie WR's and an inexperienced TE ..... WHAT you saw is what a mad man can do to keep you in a game, Mrs. Jackson kicked your front 7 a new one and wore them out......... Your D was worn down and the Rams O was capitalizing late.........DID YOU NOTICE THAT THE RAMS USED RICHARDSON EARLY AND TURNED MRS. JACKSON LOOSE ON YOU LATE? ..............................your D wears out in games.............so you cover for that by trying to make silk purses out of a sows ear with your O players........I say your O depends on your D too much and collectively (coaches too) you have the game backwards........ ground and pound late, not early ........ you tied and lost with this logic.......Sid Gillman them early to open up what you know you have.......RUNNING!

9. Penalties did not hurt you any where near what clock management ( could have ate a mountain of time and forced the Rams to use their last time out) and poor play calling did to your team.....

10. Your QB was rattled by D looks that confused him often, what game did you watch? I watched the one with Kaepernick acting like the rookie starter he actually is.........Rams LB's were having fun reading your looks and creating havoc at will with blitz looks and drop offs

Your team is confident lining up and punching other teams in the mouth, you faced one that said OK punch me and then stood there and took it just to punch your team in the mouth twice more.......

Your coach was rattled, his staff rattled, and your QB was rattled......you were out coached and out played by a team that used your strengths against you to achieve a win...... you were in fact trapped like poker players who were purposely set up and ya'll fell right into it.......

The Rams are the youngest team in the NFL and your team is now a very experienced and veteran enough group capable of running the table in the NFL.......EXCEPT FOR TWO GLARING PROBLEMS.......Head Coach and QB both are too inexperienced and both are taken off their game with relentless non-stop pressure..........

If you really watched the game twice? Go back near the end of regular session and watch A. Smith as he went over to the sidelines and sat down, totally exhausted and worn out with a towel over his head? That's what happened - your coaching failed you ...... you were PUNKED!
Martz told you all .......Smith was a lousy QB........ get a clue? I like Kaepernick better too....... not because of the game, sincerely....Smith ain't got it....... the teams carried Smith too many times, too many games......in this league the QB needs to be the carrier ...... now that Fisher showed the league how to read Jimmy?
Originally posted by Rams_Man:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
So, I was too annoyed to wait until later to rewatch the game. Watched it again immediately.

1) Kaepernick: Lets everyone chill out for a sec. First, the Intentional Grounding WASN'T intentional grounding. The ball started on the far hash and he was outside the tackle box. He threw the ball beyond the LOS. Lets not put a clear missed call on him. Second, the lateral. Bad play. No defending it, but lets be real here for a sec.

2) Play Calling: I am a Greg Roman fan........

3) Defense: Great Game. They got let down by poor play on offense. They got pushed around a few weeks ago vs Jackson and made up for it today. Much better game.

4) Run game: Outside of a few plays at the beginning, they largely got shut down. Even thought they weren't having success, they just kept bashing against that brick wall. THROW THE DAMN BALL. Kaep can make plays Alex couldn't. LET HIM.

5) Akers: I'm not a "cut this guy" kinda fan....but this is getting old.

6) Ginn: See #5.

7) LaMichael James: We need that outside speed element that Hunter gave them. Gore can thunder between the tackles and Hunter was a great change of pace. Jacobs is good for short yardage, but defenses are just condensing because they don't fear anyone getting out to the perimeter. It's time to activate LaMichael James

8) Manningham: I hope he's not hurt too bad. He's really becoming a clutch player.

9) Walker: WILDLY inconsistent. Athletically a game-changer, but the guy just seems to fight the ball. Two more drops and one of them was a perfect pass that would likely have won the game.

10) Penalties: I dunno if its the domes on the road or what, but the penalties are getting rediculous. Those 10 yard penaties are drive killers. Niners need to fix that crap.

NOW.

EDIT: Had to add....
11) Crabtree: Looking like the guy we wanted him to be on draft day. Can create when the play breaks down. Kaepernick-Crabtree are going to be a threat for a long-long time. On that topic, a dynamic passer like Kaepernick will make it easier to keep and sign WRs and TEs in the offseason......

How about an outsiders view?

1. It was "Intentional Grounding" he flung the ball in panic.....(more why Kaepernick and Smith both suck later.......) The "lateral", to be real, was a bad call and most importantly regarding it......poorly executed.

2. Playcalling ....BINGO! The buck stops with Harbaugh ........ if I could point to one time where anyone threw this game away? The final possesion by the Whiners and the worst clock management ever....... they could have run the clock down and there is no excuse that late in a game not to....what a gift granted to any team in that position, Thanks!

3. Why do people feel the need to highlight the most obvious?

4. Kaepernick was being read like a book? Duh! And by the way, didn't he scoot for 50 late? Gore was obviously hurt badly........his left arm hung limp like a rag. Jacobs has a long history of fumble rooskey in key moments ....sure make him the work horse late, seems logical and all....until you consider his patterns......

5. Kicker injuries? Has the history in this league not taught every team that an injured kicker is a losing teams kicker? Stuff happens, you injure reserve or release, you use a healthy kicker or lose.........

6. I remember Super Teddy being everyones top WR everywhere on draft day ...... but in his defense, Kaepernick was being read Kaepernick was nervous It was not a bad call it was an all-time stupid call ..... it is a laugher of a call and time will prove this making it a monkey on the Coaches back that will haunt him .....Top 10 Bone Head plays of all time ..... STUPID METER PEGS.........

7. If my uncle had testicles he'd be my aunt .......If If If If....... "If" is a word losers use........trust me as a Missouri - Cardinal (football) - Ram fan? I am a qualified expert on losing in football....... and "if" is for losers who think history can be changed........

8. Average at his best ..........(another "if" ......look at Avery - Colts and Alexander - Bolts ....... Rams had both and both cut, now both are leading WR's for their teams lately........WR's don't grow on trees........ pick an apple and it taste good or it doesn't, one thing you can't do is taste it and hope it taste better later.....) The Rams are dependent on rookie WR's and an inexperienced TE ..... WHAT you saw is what a mad man can do to keep you in a game, Mrs. Jackson kicked your front 7 a new one and wore them out......... Your D was worn down and the Rams O was capitalizing late.........DID YOU NOTICE THAT THE RAMS USED RICHARDSON EARLY AND TURNED MRS. JACKSON LOOSE ON YOU LATE? ..............................your D wears out in games.............so you cover for that by trying to make silk purses out of a sows ear with your O players........I say your O depends on your D too much and collectively (coaches too) you have the game backwards........ ground and pound late, not early ........ you tied and lost with this logic.......Sid Gillman them early to open up what you know you have.......RUNNING!

9. Penalties did not hurt you any where near what clock management ( could have ate a mountain of time and forced the Rams to use their last time out) and poor play calling did to your team.....

10. Your QB was rattled by D looks that confused him often, what game did you watch? I watched the one with Kaepernick acting like the rookie starter he actually is.........Rams LB's were having fun reading your looks and creating havoc at will with blitz looks and drop offs

Your team is confident lining up and punching other teams in the mouth, you faced one that said OK punch me and then stood there and took it just to punch your team in the mouth twice more.......

Your coach was rattled, his staff rattled, and your QB was rattled......you were out coached and out played by a team that used your strengths against you to achieve a win...... you were in fact trapped like poker players who were purposely set up and ya'll fell right into it.......

The Rams are the youngest team in the NFL and your team is now a very experienced and veteran enough group capable of running the table in the NFL.......EXCEPT FOR TWO GLARING PROBLEMS.......Head Coach and QB both are too inexperienced and both are taken off their game with relentless non-stop pressure..........

If you really watched the game twice? Go back near the end of regular session and watch A. Smith as he went over to the sidelines and sat down, totally exhausted and worn out with a towel over his head? That's what happened - your coaching failed you ...... you were PUNKED!

stopped reading after that.
When the head of NFL officiating comes in and says its not intentional grounding and you argue that anything else you have to say is dumber than the thought of the Rams being a playoff team.
Share 49ersWebzone