LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 150 users in the forums

IF YOU WERE ALEX SMITH WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
I seem to recall a similar situation in San Diego. They kept the younger, inexperienced, more physically gifted QB, and let go of the older QB with a "weak arm."
Besides Akers chocking again, nobody seems to notice we had no running game. Gore was not getting any where. I felt Smith would not have played as poor as Cap today, but Alex should wait til his time comes and remember this is a business. It was a team effort losing today from Jimmy H down to O-line not blocking to missing an easy FG!
Originally posted by postal509:
Besides Akers chocking again, nobody seems to notice we had no running game. Gore was not getting any where. I felt Smith would not have played as poor as Cap today, but Alex should wait til his time comes and remember this is a business. It was a team effort losing today from Jimmy H down to O-line not blocking to missing an easy FG!

The problem is Smith can be re-installed as a starter, but he knows that he would be playing on borrowed time. He does not have job security even if he wins the Superbowl. Many people would seek opportunity somewhere else. Smith will most likely do the same.
Originally posted by Furlow:
I seem to recall a similar situation in San Diego. They kept the younger, inexperienced, more physically gifted QB, and let go of the older QB with a "weak arm."

I still remember watching the Chargers loss against Patriots, and telling my friends "the Chargers probably wished they had Brees today." Rivers was unimpressive in that game.
  • Jiks

How often does Alex make the proper adjustment at the line? How many of those have led to big runs? I don't know for sure but I know there is a lot. I think this is the most underrated aspect of his game. Thus game manager.

This comes with playing, not 2 games, but at the very least a season. Experience>Nothing at all
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Just keep being himself. He will get another chance, BET. Win the Super Bowl, hoist the MVP trophy, and then hold out for a fat contract. When the 49ers don't give it to him, go play for someone else. F this back stabbing franchise.

Really? You're going to say that about our franchise over one player?

One player? How old are you, dude? Do you have any idea how many times, and in how many ways, Alex Smith has been screwed over by the 49ers? It's organization? It's coaches? It's fans?

The cluelessness of some people is amazing. The guy deserves better than anyone associated with the organization has given him. And save me the paycheck BS - EVERY player in the NFL is "overpaid" for playing a "game."

If I were Smith, I would play my way into a huge contract, or bounce.

How old are YOU. Seriously dude...he's not even a free agent. Hold out for huge contract?

At least have a clue when you post.
Now that coach has made the change, I hope that he doesn't go back to Alex Smith. If Alex is called upon, I know he'll be ready and play to win like the professional he is. He no longer needs to prove himself to us (the fans), nor to the organization. If he never steps back out as the 49er QB this year, he can leave with his head held high and challenge anyone that questions his loyalty, heart or professionalism, he can leave as a winner. I don't know how we as fans have turned so vile, it didn't get this ugly even during the Steve vs Joe heyday (guess its the sign of the times or I must be getting old). I now worry about the precedent that coach has set. If I was a player, when do I know if coach is talking to me straight or spewing BS, when do players start tuning him out. Maybe it won't happen this year or the next, but the magic we felt last season is fading fast, the goodwill, camaraderie and fellowship doesn't hold as much merit or maybe its just me. I hope I'm wrong, winning trumps losing but trust trumps them all.
Originally posted by fastforward:

The problem is Smith can be re-installed as a starter, but he knows that he would be playing on borrowed time. He does not have job security even if he wins the Superbowl. Many people would seek opportunity somewhere else. Smith will most likely do the same.

The Problem is Alex Smith knows that his job as starter is over NOW. He's done in San Francisco as of Today. Not many Pro QB can play knowing this and he is very very pissed. Let's hope he can..........
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Just keep being himself. He will get another chance, BET. Win the Super Bowl, hoist the MVP trophy, and then hold out for a fat contract. When the 49ers don't give it to him, go play for someone else. F this back stabbing franchise.

One player? How old are you, dude? Do you have any idea how many times, and in how many ways, Alex Smith has been screwed over by the 49ers? It's organization? It's coaches? It's fans?

The cluelessness of some people is amazing. The guy deserves better than anyone associated with the organization has given him. And save me the paycheck BS - EVERY player in the NFL is "overpaid" for playing a "game."

please list all of the ways this *horrible* *backstabbing* organization has screwed him?

any other team that had to draft him #1 overall, he would most likely be out of the league after 3 years...or at least not starting.

If you really need me to list these things for you, you're not a 49ers fan. Or you just became one recently.

Says the guy who says Alex Smith should hold out.
in all honesty, playing out the season has more downside for Smith.

His value to other teams will only go up if he leads us to a super bowl. and it will go down with anything short of a super bowl win IMO

Originally posted by daWest:
Request my release and sign with the Cards
NO, they have no offensive line. I told my brother he should have his agent request a trade to NE or Denver and play backup behind one of those old QB's. Patience and a smaller backup contract might eventually be worth it. The niners have moved on and even if he plays again this year the handwriting is on the wall. Even if he gets better he will never have Kaep's arm nor his foot speed so even if he is the better QB now ,Kaep should catch up with experience.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:

How old are YOU. Seriously dude...he's not even a free agent. Hold out for huge contract?

Yes, hold out for a huge contract. Players do it all the time, when they outplay their crappy contracts. If Smith wins the Super Bowl this year, and is the Super Bowl MVP, you think he's only worth $8 million/year?

Get a clue.
Not worrying about Smith at all. He dude had been through this more than a few times. Benched for Shaun Hill, JTO (couldn't throw with a bum shoulder), Troy Smith, and now Kaep over a concussion. This may be a blessing for Smith. He may decide to take a little more risk in his throws to make more plays, but not so much as to become a gunslinger.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:

please list all of the ways this *horrible* *backstabbing* organization has screwed him?

any other team that had to draft him #1 overall, he would most likely be out of the league after 3 years...or at least not starting.

If you really need me to list these things for you, you're not a 49ers fan. Or you just became one recently.

Says the guy who says Alex Smith should hold out.

I don't get your point? Because I think Smith is unappreciated and underpaid, I'm not a 49ers fan? Call me crazy, but I'm a fan of the PLAYERS, not the organization/ownership.

Yes, hold out for a huge contract. Players do it all the time, when they outplay their crappy contracts. If Smith wins the Super Bowl this year, and is the Super Bowl MVP, you think he's only worth $8 million/year?

Get a clue.

SMDH.

Anyone who is an advocate of Alex Smith holding out for a bigger contract has no right to be critical of ANYONES fandom.

...and dude, he ain't holding out for more money one year into his contract. Get real. PLayers don't hold out after one freakin year.
Share 49ersWebzone