LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 446 users in the forums

So, are people still worried about Greg Roman leaving?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by hofer36:
what the big unknown is is what roman's take was on the qb change--if he had kaerpernick forced upon him as the starter I think that he has to be absolved of some of the blame for the lack of consistent ffensive production

i doubt it will ever be disclosed what roman's position was

We know before this season that Roman liked Smith. Wasn't he the first guy who said that Smith improved the offense?

We know that Kaepernick's promotion was a Harbaugh's move.
For those that missed it, I rained all over Coach H for not getting the plays in on time to Qb, alex or Kap. That was before the PATs game. You all noted that Coach H came out without his play call sheet and that game was called entirely by roman. Also you noted that Coach came out again with no clipboard for the first half of the SEA massacre. 2nd half he had the clipboard and was actively calling plays. It was obvious that the qB for the SEA game was alex and his dinks and dunks, but we came out instead with the BIG PASS, and except for two connections in the long bomb the past 4 weeks, we got none again 2 days ago. The obvious O game plan was to go long, whereas the smart money was to dink and dunk quick, and that didn't happen. JH calling plays didn't matter as he didn't throw any 1 or 2 steppers either. Hey, Roman can have a good game, then a bad one. Great OCs are just that. Great all the time. Roman is hitting on about 3/4. Better than last 11 or 12 yrs, but not good enough. I would rather our HC be the OC during the game, just like bellicheat does...or Coach walsh. Roman won't be missed , at least, not by me.

without his clipboard, the plays did get in on time in NE. Without his clipboard in first half in SEA, we got drubbed. In 2nd half, JH couldn't bring himself to throw those 1 and 2 steppers. Kap hopefully learned a lesson on that rainbow ball he threw to vernon. if you are going to throw a ball that far, Kap, you can't hang your receiver out to dry...and he did, and vernon got nailed.
Under Jimmy Raye in 2009, the 49ers were ranked 22nd in passing.

Under Jimmy Raye/Mike Johnson in 2010, the 49ers were ranked 18th in passing.

Under Greg Roman in 2011, the 49ers were ranked 29th in passing.

Under Greg Roman in 2012, the 49ers are currently ranked 25th in passing.

This is improvement?
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
For those that missed it, I rained all over Coach H for not getting the plays in on time to Qb, alex or Kap. That was before the PATs game. You all noted that Coach H came out without his play call sheet and that game was called entirely by roman. Also you noted that Coach came out again with no clipboard for the first half of the SEA massacre. 2nd half he had the clipboard and was actively calling plays. It was obvious that the qB for the SEA game was alex and his dinks and dunks, but we came out instead with the BIG PASS, and except for two connections in the long bomb the past 4 weeks, we got none again 2 days ago. The obvious O game plan was to go long, whereas the smart money was to dink and dunk quick, and that didn't happen. JH calling plays didn't matter as he didn't throw any 1 or 2 steppers either. Hey, Roman can have a good game, then a bad one. Great OCs are just that. Great all the time. Roman is hitting on about 3/4. Better than last 11 or 12 yrs, but not good enough. I would rather our HC be the OC during the game, just like bellicheat does...or Coach walsh. Roman won't be missed , at least, not by me.

without his clipboard, the plays did get in on time in NE. Without his clipboard in first half in SEA, we got drubbed. In 2nd half, JH couldn't bring himself to throw those 1 and 2 steppers. Kap hopefully learned a lesson on that rainbow ball he threw to vernon. if you are going to throw a ball that far, Kap, you can't hang your receiver out to dry...and he did, and vernon got nailed.

Belicheck doesn't call the offensive plays, what are you talking about?
He might need to be replaced for real.
The haters are being a bit extreme.

Total Offense Ranks:
2012 - 11th
2011 - 26th
2010 - 24th
2009 - 27th
2008 - 23rd
2007 - 32nd

If Akers could make FGs, we'd score more points than Houston, Atlanta or Green Bay.
I think Roman needs help implementing the passing game. Doesn't seemed to be as good at it as the running game.
he can go. Chryst step on up
Originally posted by gold49digger:

Why not just go ahead and rehire Jim Hostler.

There's a reason why Chryst was an offensive coordinator once and only once. He made Jimmy Raye look innovative. Guys who are good playcallers don't go from being an offensive coordinator to a simple assistant for the next 12 years. If I have the choice between keeping Roman and promoting Chryst......I'll keep Roman.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I think Roman needs help implementing the passing game. Doesn't seemed to be as good at it as the running game.

Maybe because David Shaw handled all that crazy passing offense stuff at Stanford while Roman focused on the running game and the offensive line.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by gold49digger:

Why not just go ahead and rehire Jim Hostler.

There's a reason why Chryst was an offensive coordinator once and only once. He made Jimmy Raye look innovative. Guys who are good playcallers don't go from being an offensive coordinator to a simple assistant for the next 12 years. If I have the choice between keeping Roman and promoting Chryst......I'll keep Roman.

oh well i didnt know that then i hope we do get a good coordinator if roman does leave
Chris Ault leaving Nevada......subtly indicating that he'd like to continue coaching.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/29/offensive-innovator-chris-ault-leaves-nevada-could-head-to-nfl/

Don't know about an offensive coordinator but if they're going to keep using the 'pistol' formations, they might as well bring in the originator as an offensive assistant of some type.

"Offensive passing game coordinator because the offensive coordinator is clueless" assistant.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Chris Ault leaving Nevada......subtly indicating that he'd like to continue coaching.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/29/offensive-innovator-chris-ault-leaves-nevada-could-head-to-nfl/

Don't know about an offensive coordinator but if they're going to keep using the 'pistol' formations, they might as well bring in the originator as an offensive assistant of some type.

"Offensive passing game coordinator because the offensive coordinator is clueless" assistant.

Was thinking about that, too...even if Roman stays as OC, bring him in as a QB coach or assistant to the OC, whatever it takes to plan around Kaep's strengths.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
The haters are being a bit extreme.

Total Offense Ranks:
2012 - 11th
2011 - 26th
2010 - 24th
2009 - 27th
2008 - 23rd
2007 - 32nd

If Akers could make FGs, we'd score more points than Houston, Atlanta or Green Bay.

Very true. The only thing I would add is the red zone offenses of those teams are much better. This season our red zone offense is 22nd (50.98%).

Houston - 9th (57.41%)
Atlanta - 8th (58.33%)
Green Bay - 3rd (65.12%)

It's pretty much what I would expect since those three teams have their offensive players settled into their roles. With the QB change and injuries to key players, our offense is going through growing pains. Its unfortunate because if the consistency was there for a full season we might be talking about a team with a top ten red zone offense.
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Dec 29, 2012 at 8:18 AM ]
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Very true. The only thing I would add is the red zone offenses of those teams are much better. This season our red zone offense is 22nd (50.98%).

Houston - 9th (57.41%)
Atlanta - 8th (58.33%)
Green Bay - 3rd (65.12%)

It's pretty much what I would expect since those three teams have their offensive players settled into their roles. With the QB change and injuries to key players, our offense is going through growing pains. Its unfortunate because if the consistency was there for a full season we might be talking about a team with a top ten red zone offense.

Just like last season....amirite.....amirite?
Share 49ersWebzone